Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Moving abroad in your middle years
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’m 39 and in need of a change of scenery. Has anyone moved overseas at this age or later? I’ve looked into Canada but they won’t let me in without a job and no one will give me a job until they let me in; plus my skills (architectural technician) aren’t on their “most wanted” list.

Any suggestions?

stewartc
    Free Member

Took the leap at 39 with no real skill set or qualifications due to marriage, it’s not big a deal if you go somewhere were you speak the language and, most importantly, have a job awaiting you. I was lucky that due to having worked in the region Previously I could use existing connections to find employment, work is important for not only providing the financial means to live in your new environment but also to provide some sort of social base as you then start to build new friendships etc.
    Best thing I did but I should stress it was never my intention to move here only the wife doesn’t like the UK and wanted to stay close to her family, this was not so much a deal breaker for me, though I do miss them and friends thanks to Skype and Whatsapp we could all be in the same country anyway.

Go for it, make 2014 the year of change.

mikey74
    Free Member

How, where?

JulianA
    Free Member

Whilst Britain is still a member of the EU, you might want to think about a move to the continent, specifically Belgium or Germany. Recent experience of both suggest that they have decent economies – I love France, and assume it is doing ok, but from the footfall and the queues for the tills in Belgium and Germany I’d be looking at these countries.

In addition to this, the house we live in would appear to be €400,000 – €500,000 cheaper in Belgium (specifically Spa, but other locations on the continent are available and also cheaper than the south east of Britain in case anyone asks – and no, we don’t own the house we live in).

Just trying to convince MrsJA that a move to the continent would be a good thing, but I may die of old age or liver disease first.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

34 and now living in Oz.
    Made it out via the missus being Australian so the Visa was more straight forward and not linked to employment.

It’s a tough move, you loose a lot of close friends and support that you have at home but being able to break the cycle of life at home has enabled me to change the way I live. I live somewhere nice, bigger and more spacious that is cheaper than the UK, have better weather and more time to enjoy it. I work part time and travel a lot. It’s still hard to get on and make a new circle of friends and it takes time.

The key thing is not to expect the new place to be like home and try and make it little england. Embrace the change and it helps a lot.

grantway
    Free Member

Do an NVQ in Plumbing, don’t have to be in gas then re approach
    at least you have another set of skills to fall back on
    Good Luck

Poopsies
    Free Member

Moved to NZ at 39 with my family and two teenage kids. Your skills might be on the skills shortage list here. Have a look at immigration.govt.nz

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Moved to Oz for 2 years in 2009. Came back to Blighty for a year then came back to Oz last year. I’m 38 in Feb. We probably see family the same amount of time just they come in blocks of months rather than odd days and weekends. MIL here now for 3 months. FIL here end of Feb. My folks over in March.

Although they speak English here (somewhat arguable) it is a foreign country. I spent the first year moaning about stuff (and still do to some extent) but generally fit in and love it.

solarider
    Free Member

I lived in NZ for 4 years in my late 20’s early 30’s. Loved it.

I moved to Hong Kong at 40. Even better later in life. A more mature outlook. A greater appreciation that different isn’t necessarily worse or better. Just more accepting.

Agree with everything above. You make some sacrifices, but it is worth it.

Do it. I just spent new year in the sun, with great people in an exciting and different place. The UK is just a tiny part of a big world. Rude not to get out there and explore it. Age has no bearing.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Moved from Hong Kong (where I’d lived for 20 years) to Australia when I was 45. My move was specifically because I was getting older, and wanted my children to grow up in a nicer environment, and to position myself to retire somewhere more peaceful before it was too late.

Very good and honest comments above. All I can add is don’t expect a move of country to magically solve all your problems in life, sure it gives you an opportunity for a new start, but only you can change yourself.

Markie
    Free Member

How about Dubai? Fabulous quality of life and given the amount of construction, perhaps a need for architectural technicians?

jools182
    Free Member

I’m in almost the same situation

41, civil and structural technician

I need a change of scenery desperately

I thought about Canada but like you say it’s a catch 22. Need a job to get in, can’t get in without a job

I’m now looking at Europe

My main problem is how to find work

Are there specific agencies that deal with jobs on the continent?

I’m thinking of Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany

perthmtb
    Free Member

The “can’t get in without a job” catch 22 is the same everywhere. I got round that when I moved to Australia by coming as a “mature” student and training in a new profession, which led me to a job, which led me to residency.
    It was actually a great experience going back to “school” at the age of 45 (who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!), and had lots of free time to spend with family and exploring the new country. Not for everyone though – you’ll need a cash buffer as it can be expensive as an international student, and there’s still no guarantee of a job or residency at the end of it, but thought I’d just mention it as another option…

darrell
    Free Member

moved to Switzerland when I was 36. Now 47 and living in Norway.

I may move back to the UK when I retire

thecaptain
    Free Member

Easy way is to be a scientist of some sort – many of us (had to) move country for a job.

takisawa2

One of my riding mates off to Oz this year.

Much as I try to persuade the Wife, we’re not going anywhere. 😐

And it’s a shame.
    I’ve a good BEng in Mechanical Engineering, a good few decades of experience in a lot of areas, plus the last 5 yrs in management. I don’t think I’d struggle to find employment.
    Plus I have an established family network in Brisbane, with willing sponsors to support us while we find our feet anyway.

I’d hoped our month touring Oz would change her mind but as one of the above posts pointed out, it’s the support network the Wife is afraid of losing.

Go for it Op, seriously.
    If you don’t like it come back…

DrJ

Good advice above. Bears repeating – don’t fall into the trap of being a moaning expat. They do things differently in different countries, and it will ruin your life if you see every difference from home as a deficiency. Seen it happen too many times.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, moved to Sweden 18 months ago at 31. It has it’s ups and downs, but it’s great to experience other places and reminds you of what you do love about your country of birth. Good thing about Europe is you can always pop back easily to see friends and pick up Branston Pickle and so on.

I think you need to ask yourself why do you want to go, then look at places accordingly. Also, consider if you want to learn a language, as in my view to really enjoy it and make it last , you need to speak the native tongue.

Good luck!

TooTall
    Free Member

42, moved to the USA in 2013. Different, some good, some bad, overall great potential and they think I’m cleverer because of my accent and fancy words!
    Canada isn’t the UK expat dream it was. I’ve got some very highly qualified friends who just couldn’t break in to their professional fields there – very closed shops these days. Of those that made it, one family are in Vancouver and, despite his VERY well-paid job, can’t afford to buy a house because the Chinese have bought everything and trashed the market there.
    Try Europe and the Middle East first. Start looking for contract firms and offshore recruitment and generally searching for agencies who do that sort of thing.

scotroutes

Ask yourself why you think it’ll be better in another country. Perhaps all you need is to move to a different place in the UK.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just considering move the Africa. Ideally ten years too late or even two year too early (re kids needs) but still a great opportunity for new adventures. Tough for parent(s 🙁 ) / in laws as you get older and they get more vulnerable. But good and different opportunities only come around rarely. Often best to grab them!?!?

jools182
    Free Member

How would you find work in Europe ?

There must be agencies that deal with European countries, but my searches haven’t found much

The people that have relocated, how did you get your jobs?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

X post with Scotroutes. It does take a lot to beat our lovely countryside especially for variety.

scotroutes

Could be the other way too – e.g. try moving to London for a couple of years.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

I’ll be 47 in 2014, and I moved to Austria in october 2013. Was offered a killer job, and my personal circumstances were such that I was ‘ready’ for it too…
    I am having to learn German which is a bit of a disadvantage as languages are not my thing, but its going in slowly. Farcebook and things keep you in touch with friends and family, and now the skiing, boarding season is here I expect to be quite popular with my friends too!
    Life is what you make of it, an adventure every now and again is a good thing!
    Good luck in your search…

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s got nothing to do with your age, just the ties that you have, and how flexible they are.

Do it. Try Scandinavia – no work permit issues, English so widely spoken you’ll forget all about it.

lesgrandepotato

36 here, moved from London suburbs to south lakes six months back. Wouldn’t change a thing! Definitely worth thinking about where in the uk you might want to be.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Find a job website based in the country/ies you want to move to. Of course that may depend on the type of job. I applied for jobs in NZ, Chile, Norway, Hawaii and mainland USA, but the only one that made me an offer was in Japan, which was great for a while but not really a place to settle (IMO).

jambalaya
    Free Member

EU the easiest as you have freedom of movement and right of employment. It’s close in terms of being able to visit friends and family but you need to think about language. As for further afield most countries will want you to have a job first but there’s nothing to stop you applying.

I worked abroad in my late 20’s (US) and mid 40’s (Asia), looking at Switzerland currently (now 50). I will try and use my current skillet to land a job, work visa should then be straightforward. If I have one career and lifestyle regret it’s not spending more time abroad in my 30’s but the kids education swayed us into staying in the uk.

As above you have to embrace the differences and not moan about them, nothing irritates me more than people moaning about the uk and when abroad I do all I can to make local friends which is harder than it sounds.

Good luck. Be bold.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I got my job in Sweden by sending my CV. Most jobs here are obtained that way and they rarely advertise. There is a big need for engineers, planners environment type stuff. I think you could have a chance with your line of work.

I don’t know about the rest of Scandinavia but it is tough to get a decent job here without Swedish. Whilst they almost all speak very good English , I feel you do really need Swedish to fit in. I am learning in the job so I am lucky.

Mackem

http://www.monster.com/ – covers a few countries
    http://www.infojobs.com covers Spain, Italy and Brazil

You might get some idea of what’s out there.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Moving abroad in your middle years’ is closed to new replies.