Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Movies 2021
  • rone

Was there ever a 2021 thread for films?

Anyway – two cinema visits recently.

‘Old’ – Shymalan apparently back on form (I really liked Glass) but this was pretty terrible. Clunky dialogue and acting – saved by a few great scenes and quite bizarre twist.

‘The Suicide Squad’ James Gunn reboot for DC. Didn’t see the 2016 film and this was supposed to be much better. Just an excuse for violent mayhem with the odd clever joke. Thought it was tedious to be honest if well put together.

Hard to give a stuff when there isn’t a focal character. Plot dragged and was ultimately just dull. Way too many ‘out-there’ scenes for it work.

Not a patch on Guardians.

fasthaggis

Last night I went for my first cinema visit this year (wow that’s weird typing that) ,masks on in a very spaced out indie venue. Jings it was good to be back and we really enjoyed Limbo, a well thought out story which had a bit of everything and some beautiful wee set pieces. 8/10 🙂

doomanic

Also off to the flicks for the first time this year. Seeing The Suicide Squad, I do hope it’s better than the original…

I don’t know what the cinema’s requirements are for social distancing and mask wearing during the movie, but I will make my own decision on that when I get to my seat.

doomanic

I don’t know what the cinema’s requirements are for social distancing and mask wearing during the movie

Hmm, I’ve just taken a close look at the website and there isn’t a single mention of Covid on the front page. I’ve just tried to book another ticket and I can pick the seat next to one that’s already occupied. That’s not very good IMO.

fasthaggis

doom ,it was all a bit mix and match,masks on unless eating or drinking, I imagine this will be strange for the folk that usually have a three course snack at Cineworld . As it was a wee, indie arts cinema,we were all terribly well behaved 😉

mahalo

pre-pandemic i was a regular cinema goer working away from home in London during the week it was something to do. i had an unlimited card, you read all about the latest films in the Metro everyday and i would listen to kermode with extra mayo along with other film podcasts on the commutes south.

right now i have not got scooby doo about current, upcoming or what has been out in the last 12 months! always made a point of watching all the big award nominations at least – no idea what has won what recently at all?

bit of a shame really. need to get my mojo back.. difficult tho with a house full – much easier to go solo!

DezB
    Free Member

I was looking for this thread the other day. I thought I’d added to the 2020 one and my post vanished, so oh well…
    Usually in agreement with Rone, but I loved the violence, mayhem and silliness of The Suicide Squad. Had my doubts beforehand cos since he’s been whoring himself out to Sky TV adverts, got sick to death of Idris Elba. But, he was good. Funny, lots of swears. Strangely thought Harley’s was the weakest part. Enjoyable 2nd trip to the re-opened cinema. Oh, and the sound at Vue was incredible, almost too loud at times. Music soundtrack choice was pretty decent. Nice to hear the Pixies blasting out.

Last week saw Black Widow, that was just ok. It was only last week, but I can’t actually remember much about it. Very meh, as the internet kids say.

rone

Strangely thought Harley’s was the weakest part.

She was integrated really awkwardly.

Margot Robbie is a fantastic actress, though. Always watchable and very versatile.

Can’t wait for Top Gun 2 and the new Mission Impossible film. Think they’re both next year.

Films I’m keen to see currently are Ben Wheatley’s In The Earth and Nobody. You seen them @DezB?

crazy-legs

Went to see Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard a few weeks ago. Enjoyable while also bring completely forgettable.
    Cinema was very strict on social distancing plus there were only about 20 other people in the venue anyway.

Definitely going to see No Time To Die, that’s due out end of September.

DezB
    Free Member

Ben Wheatley’s In The Earth and Nobody. You seen them @DezB?

Nope, not yet

doom_mountain

Watched The Suicide Squad last night, enjoyed it a lot more than the first (not terribly difficult). I loved the gung ho nature of the action, some great jokes in there. It didn’t have the emotional throughline of Guardians, I felt not all the characters had enough interactions. Overall definitely worth watching.

We saw it at the little cinema in bowness (my local), surprisingly it was on the smallest screen, which made for a great atmosphere.

Sly Stallone as King Shark stole the movie…

Saw Black Widow last week, was good but not great. Would’ve had a greater impact if it has been released before Infinity War / Endgame.

Ray Winstone’s russian / cockney accent did not steal the movie…

doomanic

Just back from The Suicide Squad. I’m going to go against the flow here and say that it was unbelievably worse than the first. Of the other people I went to the cinema with, one agreed with me and the other couldn’t decide. Not a glowing review.

To give you an idea of how little it interested me, at one point I was thinking that if I still had an Unlimited pass I’d be binning it off and going to the pub instead!

Harley was the best part of the movie for me but her portrayal was very subdued compared to the first movie.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m going to go against the flow here

Not really though – opinions are just as mixed on here

retro83
    Free Member

Can’t wait for Top Gun 2 and the new Mission Impossible film. Think they’re both next year.

Yep, pushed back to end of May 2022 now 😫

BillOddie

Maybe I’m being overly cautious but after the wife went to our local Vue with the kids to watch something or other and had an awful experience with people ignoring social distancing and mask requirements.

And that was before the Great Unlocking and when the numbers were significantly less scary.

We’re not planning on heading back to the cinema for a while but we’ll happily pay for VOD for new releases and have done on a few occasions.  Quite pleased the Marvel stuff will be on Disney+ Premier Access (aside from new Spiderman because Sony).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Haven’t been back to the Cinema yet, I wasn’t a big Cinema goer before so it’s not a change really.

I’m planning to book the local Everyman for Bond, I might do the same for Dune although I fancy I’ll be going on my own if I do.

I can’t recall any really great films I’ve seen this year, for obvious reasons, I’ve started watching A Quiet Place 2 and The Conjuring 3, but they couldn’t hold my attention at the time and I really want to enjoy them so I’m saving them for later.

I watched 2 Netflix films recently, Outside the Wire (terrible, poorly made, feels like someone scooped up the remains of an abandoned film and stitched it together) and Army of the Dead which is so-so, it’s like they went out of their way to ignore interesting storylines to make a really plain film.

Really looking forward to Many Saints of Newark, Hallowen Kills, Ghostbusters Afterlife and Candyman. If I’m honest, resident Evil too, because I’d watch Kaya Scodelario in pretty much anything. I’ll watch the Matrix too, even though I think it will be terrible. Everything else is 2022 now.

desperatebicycle

Seen Candyman. Surprisingly good. Freaked me out a bit too. Kept seeing a girl in a pink hoody at the train station, like she was following me. I was frighted

P-Jay
    Free Member

Seen Candyman. Surprisingly good. Freaked me out a bit too. Kept seeing a girl in a pink hoody at the train station, like she was following me. I was frighted

I’ve never seen the original, the VHS cover with a bee on someone’s eyeball put me right off. I haven’t see ‘would you rather’ for the same reason, but then it sounds ghastly.

That said, I’d watch them both back-to-back with a big version of each poster above the screen before I watch another Marvel / DC Comic Book Film, I just can’t stand them.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

DOnt tend to think most films these days deserve a trip to the cinema covid or no covid. But a few will be getting my backside out in from of the big screen this year…No time to die, Topgun 2, Dune (will splash out to see that on iMax), and will take the kids to see Ghostbusters. They’ll probably want me to take them to see Suicide Squad too, but that is not my bag so will probably get the wife to take them to see that.

desperatebicycle

They’ll probably want me to take them to see Suicide Squad too

How old are the kids? The (without “The” its the old one) Suicide Squad is very violent and sweary. (15 cert)

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Films that manage to keep me awake for the full duration get my approval.

Free Guy – Asleep about 30 mins in. dog shit!

dudeofdoom

Also off to the flicks for the first time this year. Seeing The Suicide Squad, I do hope it’s better than the original…

I didn’t realise its was a remake !!!!

desperatebicycle

It’s not a remake – different story, different characters (mostly). It’s a lot funnier than the Will Smith one.

funkmasterp

Watched The Suicide Squad and thought it was decent. King Shark stole the show for me. I was utterly bored last night so watched The Witcher animated film on Netflix. Not normally a huge fan of that sort of animated movie but was pleasantly surprised.

Drac

I put Cruella on the other night. What a fantastic film, Stone is just brilliant in it.

IdleJon

Saw Black Widow last week, was good but not great. Would’ve had a greater impact if it has been released before Infinity War / Endgame.

OT story…. My 10 yr old daughter plonked herself next to me with her ukulele and announced that she needed to learn a song called “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. At last, I’ve got a vaguely cool child, I thought, as I picked up my guitar and strummed the first few bars. She gave me a blank stare. “That was a pretty good attempt from memory”, I said and strummed AND sang the first few bars. (I’m not a singer!) She slowly said, “You’re playing it far too fast”, so I called up the video on YouTube, with the cheerleaders, janitor and Kurt and his hair… “Wow, no that’s not it”, she said, “I meant the song from Black Widow”. My language became a little more colourful, as I said what I thought about awful cover versions and why none of my kids like decent music! 😀

Klunk
    Free Member
    kimbers

I’ve only seen one bad review of Dune (out of 6)

I can’t believe it’s 7 weeks b4 it comes out 😭😭😭😭

simondbarnes

I was disappointed by The Suicide Squad. Much preferred the first one.
    Enjoyed Black Widow.

jree
    Free Member

Totally agree about free guy. Absolutely garbage.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I put Cruella on the other night. What a fantastic film, Stone is just brilliant in it.

Watched it last night, I really shouldn’t have liked it, but it’s brilliant, and what a soundtrack!

nickc

Gawain and the Green Knight.

First mistake, watched it at home on the telly, if you do fancy seeing this, go to the cinema. It’s really really lovely to look at and weirdly you get the sense of how mountains and woods and streams feel and smell. It has a sensation of earthly corruption about it that MTBers will instantly recognise. Dev Patel is very good, the supporting cast are very good, make yourself familiar with the source material otherwise it makes even less sense than it does.. It has a weird trippy quality that fits very well. The director has said that he watched all the Arthurian legend films including Excalibur and Holy Grail (which has is quoted as saying is the best Arthurian film) and it really shows…

“How you tell he’s the king?”

“Cause he’s not covered in shit is he”

Best film of 2021 I’ve seen so far.

Jakester
    Free Member

Conversely just watched this this evening and found it, well, ponderous tosh.

I know my attention span has been whittled down to nothing by algorithm-generated ‘bosh-a-minute’ cinema, but still, it was VERY slow and took liberties with the original plot (IIRC). Looked and sounded very good, mind – the battlefield scene put me in mind of one horrendous trip to Afan – but it felt to me very much style over substance.

rone

Best film of 2021 I’ve seen so far.

Good I’m look forward to this.

Took a trip to see the Sopranos prequel “Many Saints of Newark”

Dull, lethargic and lacking focus. Like a really flat TV episode stretched for cinema with not enough to connect it to the series.

Dissapponting despite some good performances.

docrobster
    Free Member

Went to see the alpinist last night. Really good but not if you don’t like heights. In the free solo/dawn wall category of films.
    Only other trip to the cinema has been to see everybody’s talking about Jamie. More local interest than anything as a friend’s daughter is in it as an extra/dancer. We watched it in a cinema that is actually visible in the film. A lovely feel good film. Even if you don’t like musical theatre.

turboferret

I’m looking forward to the new Wes Anderson film coming out The French Dispatch, although I doubt I’ll manage to make time to see it at the cinema…

fasthaggis

I’m looking forward to the new Wes Anderson film coming out The French Dispatch

Booked to see it tomorrow night.
    The trailer looks like it will be Wes Anderson dialled up to max 🙂

Behind the scenes
    Some more set details

qwerty
    Free Member

I went to see The Rescue last night:

I liked it so much I statrted it’s own thread:

National Geographic: THE RESCUE 🎥

fasthaggis

although I doubt I’ll manage to make time to see it at the cinema…

@turboferret

If you are a fan,I urge you to make the effort.
    It’s absolutely superb on the big screen and full on Wes Anderson.
    At times almost too much with so many things going on,I can’t wait to see it again.
    (9/10)

roger_mellie

So, Matrix Resurrections… I only saw the first film and not the sequels, I’m guessing I don’t *need* to, or will it make more sense if I go back?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Movies 2021’ is closed to new replies.