Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Movember/job interview dilemma…….
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, 6 days in, and I now look like a cross between a Mexican bandit and one of the Village People – “I don’t know whether to buy you a sombrero or a peaked leather cap” was my boss’s comment this morning.

I have an interview for a job on Thursday – level transfer to another agency, not sure I’d like the job, but my current role is being run down and could vanish in 2-3 years depending on legislation changes, with no chance of any pay/career progression in the meantime, so any potential port in a storm, I guess.

So, will 8 days worth of comedy moustache be a great ice-breaker at the interview, or a deal breaker? (Assuming I actually manage to fib my way through the interview itself)

franksinatra

Shave it. First rule of interview is to look smart and therefore feel smart.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Two options.

Shave and look good.

Or…postpone the interview until you have some proper facial hair.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrchrispy

+1

no pishing about, loose it.

MoreCashThanDash

If I shave it do I have to refund the people who have already donated?

footflaps

So, will 8 days worth of comedy moustache be a great ice-breaker at the interview, or a deal breaker?

If you want the job, have a shave.

druidh
    Free Member

Mention it at the interview and ask for a donation. Might as well be up front and honest and at least they’ll remember you.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Keep it but tell them why you’re growing, charity brings more to the conversation and your character

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Difficult situation, I’m in the same boat- clean shaven for me , interview friday

akak
    Free Member

Keep it but open with an explanation.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Tricky. I’d say keep it then explain the dilemma you had with keeping/getting rid (in a jokey jovial sort of way of course) and they will hopefully see the overtly conciencous and considerate chap you are.

Could work in your favour if played out right. Depends on the job too of course.

Cougar

Keep it but open with an explanation.

+1. “please excuse my appearance, but…”

ratherbeintobago

As above.

Like the idea of Movember but can’t take part as QRRNs forbid ‘taches, and Remembrance Sun Parade is smack in the middle of Nov.

Andy

Northwind

Aye, I’d go with keep it and explain too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

keep and explain if they dont understand do you want to work with them?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Keep it and explain it. By far the best option.

maccruiskeen

hide it with a fake beard

or

project
    Free Member

So, 6 days in, and I now look like a cross between a Mexican bandit and one of the Village People

So if you dont get the job/promotion sue them for discrimination, for being homophobic against a dominant homosexual village people lookalikey, or for being racist against a mexican village people lookalikiey.

onehundredthidiot

Keep it and explain.

Feedback from a recent interview was they didn’t feel they got to know the real me and only caught a glimpse towards the end. I was so busy being what they wanted i forgot to be me.

brakes
    Free Member

keep it and explain it to them.
    not sure I’d want to work for a company who wouldn’t give me a job because I was taking part in Movember anyway.
    having said that I’ve been reluctant to do it because of what my bosses think clients will think if I turned up with half a nose scarf.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’d definitely keep it and tell them why you have it. movember is pretty well known by now so they’re bound to have heard of it, and it says something about you as a person outside of the job role itself.

maccruiskeen

Keep it. If you’re the kind of person who takes part in Movember and they’re not the kind of people who get that then you’d be miserable working there.

mrmo
    Free Member

customer facing or back office?

The former appearance matters far more

Back office role, well, couldn’t be bothered to cut my hair* for an interview a few weeks back still got the job.

*about a foot long at the moment.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

What industry do you work in?

I know in mine there are plenty of facial hair combos going on and is

certainly a la mode movember or not.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Fantastic ice breaker. Just make sure it looks neat.

igrf
    Free Member

Hah got the same dilemma myself, got an appointment with a potentially big client tomorrow, up that North place (Coventry) doubt they’ll get it, so off it’s going to have to come..

andyl
    Free Member

A friend of mine at uni was growing a ‘ginger afro’ (am I allowed to say that?) for charity. He just explained during his job interviews that it was for charity. He does have a fantastic larger than life persona (as well as being 2m tall) so I can imagine it went down well at the interview.

nicko74

Will you feel awkward with it? If so, it’s gotta go – charity is great, but good jobs don’t come along that often.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

charity is great, but good jobs don’t come along that often.

As above. If you get the job, bang a donation in!

For many, “Movember” is just an excuse not to shave, anyway!

postierich
    Free Member

only way out is to wax it off if your growing one for charity!

project
    Free Member

macburgers and enterprise, the car hire company not the star trek one, dont allow facial hair on their staff,

headfirst
    Free Member

Neat and tidy + Movember = easy solution: a toothbrush moustache a la Charlie Chaplin!

(don’t mention the other bloke)

imnotamused
    Free Member

Man this is a no brainier surely? Shave it off and focus the interview on why you are the person they need rather than showing them you’re the office clown. There’s always next year for that tache but you only have one shot at that interview …

nickswolves
    Free Member

Lose it or lose your chance!

MoreCashThanDash

I’m swayed by the “keep it and explain” argument, especially as the rest of me will be at my smartest. It’s not a great job by any stretch – HMRC Tax Compliance – and if they don’t get the whole Movember/charity thing, then I really don’t think I’d want to move over there.

And, fwiw, I work in the same complex already, and there are some right weirdos stalking around. I’m always intrigued by the 50 year old guy with thinning, straggly, shoulder length green hair who is constantly outside smoking cigars – wouldn’t if he’ll be on the interview panel?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m not even sure you need to make an excuse to wear a tache. If you and your Tache are neat and tidy, what is the problem? If a firm dismisses someone for wearing “brown shoes”, do you want to work for them ? Really?

richardk
    Free Member

Keep it and be ‘you’ in the interview. If you are doing this for a personal reason, then let them now what that is. If you have to be someone else in an interview, then it’s not the right job for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s government. They just tick boxes in interviews, they could be done by a computer.

If they don’t have a ‘no dodgy tache’ box to tick, then you are fine.

leffeboy

Fantastic ice breaker. Just make sure it looks neat.

This. It’s difficult for interviewers to get people to open up and feel comfortable – this is a brilliant way. I turned up for an interview once in a suit and walking boots and we spent most of the interview talking about great places to walk

..and I got the job. Go for it

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

It was my dad’s funeral on 11 Movember last year and I felt it inappropriate to turn up with a comedy moustache.

So I started late but had a huge mexican ‘tache within a week.

I’m a hairy bugger mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Movember/job interview dilemma…….’ is closed to new replies.