• This topic has 55 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Mouse mats?
  • cinnamon_girl

Does anyone use them these days?

Just curious. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes – other wise my mouse grates along the desk…..

cinnamon_girl

Thanks trail_rat. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    camo16
    Free Member

Yes, for trail_rat’s reason – the mouse tracks much quieter on the mat.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only when using my glass table as the optical mouse doesn’t work

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies.

I was kinda assuming that most people use either a phone or a laptop and therefore had no use for one.

camo16
    Free Member

Nah, the desktop still rules supreme in our office.

I have a cordless mouse – which I hate. I call it Adolf. The mat, on the other hand, inspires no negative emotions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do use a laptop.

laptops are horrible for ergonomics and if you work at a computer you will end up with an RSI quickly.

first thing in the bag after my laptop and power pack when traveling is the optical mouse (and i clarified that its an optical as some of the mice in our office are still using balls !!!!!!! )

Klunk
    Free Member

nope, got a graphic tablet mouse.

GrahamS

Not at work. Wooden desk + laser/optical mouse so no need.

Use one at home, but mainly just to stop the white desk getting grubby where my wrist rests.

Only really need one on a shiny textureless surface as optical mice don’t like those. Or for serious gaming obviously

cp

Not at work but I do at home. Simply as none of the mats at work stay put.

I have a mouse mat at home which is over 10 years old, goes through the washing machine occasionally for a clean & when it comes out, it looks like new. It doesn’t move around on the desk and the edges don’t jab into my wrist. No other mouse mat I’ve used is even half as good.

I prefer using a mat simply for quietness on the desk.

camo16
    Free Member

Is this some secret research, cinnamon_girl? Are you thinking of moving into the mouse mat manufacturing sector?

annebr
    Free Member

I do at work, but I have a laptop and iPad at home.

GrahamS

I was kinda assuming that most people use either a phone or a laptop and therefore had no use for one.

I’m using a laptop here – but it is hooked up to two external monitors (3 screens FTW!), plus a full-size keyboard and mouse.

No way I’d work all day on just a laptop.

D0NK

nope, some surfaces appear to cause funny effects with optical but work and home I don’t bother, specially not at home, gaming I tend to use a lot of desk space for mouse wiggling/aiming, could be my crap technique tho.

cinnamon_girl

Some interesting replies, thank you!

camo – OK I’ll come clean. Following on from my recent volunteering, I suggested that perhaps printed mouse mats could be sold to raise funds for repairs. It then occurred to me later that it’s probably only old dinosaurs like me who uses one.

So, yes, I’m researching. 😉

anagallis_arvensis

I was just thinking this am that I needed a new mouse mat but wasnt sure anywahere still sells them!

D0NK

Or for serious gaming obviously

is someone taking the piss?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Wooden desk + laser/optical mouse so no need.”

your company obviously buys you good mice……

people in my office have been killed for offences less than grating the supplied mice across desks ……

camo16
    Free Member

I suggested that perhaps printed mouse mats could be sold to raise funds for repairs.

Well, it’s not a bad idea, presuming you’re talking about some seriously funky mats!

The only issue I can see is that, although I’ve used mouse mats for over 10 years, I can’t actually remember buying one… the ones we have in the office are freebies from some trade fair we attended a while back…

molgrips
    Free Member

laptops are horrible for ergonomics and if you work at a computer you will end up with an RSI quickly.

I dunno.. I seem to be doing ok.

Although I might try to get work to give me a monitor and docking station.. but I dunno that it’d make a difference tbh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

next – whats on your mouse mat 😉

carefully taken to hide the company but the content never fails to make me laugh inside when i look down…..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

This dinosaur likes a cork table mat, tactile and warm. The mouse has a little red light. Is that for it to see where it’s going?

Stoner
    Free Member

sorry, it’s a bit grubby.

But it’s surprisingly still true much of the time 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes but your special molly ….[peter griffin]and not special like special K – special like the hyndman kid down the street …… [/peter griffin]

andytherocketeer

Only really need one on a shiny textureless surface as optical mice don’t like those

My desk at home is a shiny fake wood with a slight texture. Means that it’s both a bit rough, and the optical bit gets screwed up every so often. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying.

Got a gaming mousemat, cos they’re a bit larger than the cheap/freebies, and all is fine.

Work desk is smooth, but the cheap corparate logo’d mousemat gives smoother mouse travel.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I use one of these for my keyboard and mouse matt

they’re great, nice and thin, don’t move and are plenty big enough and add a bit of character to my otherwise dull workspace, except Bob my pot plant

chvck
    Free Member

I never use a mouse mat anymore. My desk and the desks at work are wooden so don’t need one. Not sure I’ve even seen anyone else at work using one.

Although I might try to get work to give me a monitor and docking station.. but I dunno that it’d make a difference tbh.

You’d have 2 screens for a start which is generally pretty useful regardless!

footflaps

I just use mine on the desk, it has teflon sliding patches so just glides over the veneer of real wood……

camo16
    Free Member

next – whats on your mouse mat

Mine’s the dullest, most coffee stained mouse mat in the land! It says: ESTA: Electronic System for Travel Authorization: U.S. Department of Homeland Security. That’s the first time I’ve looked at it in about 3 years. Needs a wash. 🙁

So, if you’re making mats, I may just be in the market. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Damn right I’m special 🙂

You’d have 2 screens for a start which is generally pretty useful regardless!

Hmm not sure I’d like a laptop screen and a wall mounted monitor. I like dual monitors to be next to each other. They wouldn’t even be in the same plane.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Steelseries QcK for my Wheel Mouse Optical v1.1

I think using the bare table would significantly impact my rail accuracy 🙂

GrahamS

your company obviously buys you good mice……
    people in my office have been killed for offences less than grating the supplied mice across desks ……

As per footflaps, it is just a fairly inexpensive Genius mouse but it has four little teflon pads and slides fine (as long as they are kept clean).

To be honest if work gave me a really crap mouse I’d go out and buy my own. I’m using it for 8 hours a day so makes sense to have something decent.

> laptops are horrible for ergonomics and if you work at a computer you will end up with an RSI quickly.

I dunno.. I seem to be doing ok.

I worked for six months once just using a bare laptop. Developed a weird RSI twitchy spasm in my right thumb which has never completely gone away. Can’t say I’d recommend it.

You can pick up a reasonable USB mouse+keyboard combo for about £15. And a cheapy TFT screen for £50.

The only issue I can see is that, although I’ve used mouse mats for over 10 years, I can’t actually remember buying one…

I think this is a very good point! Pretty common freebie so not something I’d ever spend money on unless it was really nice.

Cougar

I’ve not used mouse mats in years. I found that many of them have shiny surfaces utterly unsuitable for a mechanical (ball) mouse. The best mat I ever had was a foot square cork tile from a DIY shop, absolutely perfect traction.

In the days of optical mice, they’re largely redundant unless you’ve got a shiny desk, in which case I’d probably just use a sheet of paper or something.

footflaps

Mine is a bog standard Microsoft Mouse….

Have to clean the lumps of congealed dead skin and other detritus off the slidy patches every so often…

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, still use one here, at work.
    I drop my laptop into a docking station that is linked up to twin 19″ external monitors.
    The mousemat in question is an ancient BAE Systems Submarine Solutions item…

GrahamS

Hmm not sure I’d like a laptop screen and a wall mounted monitor. I like dual monitors to be next to each other. They wouldn’t even be in the same plane.

Works for me:

Middle monitor does most of the work. Side monitors are used for referencing documents/email and running virtual machines or remote desktops etc.

Waaaaaaay better than just using a laptop screen. Aside from anything else, it is near impossible to get a laptop screen to the proper ergonomic height especially if you plan on using the laptop’s keyboard!

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t raise my laptop screen, I lower my head 🙂

D0NK

Have to clean the lumps of congealed dead skin and other detritus off the slidy patches every so often…

yeah strangely satisfying. SOmetimes when I’m watching a progress bar on someone else’s computer I find myself cleaning their mouse, I wretch a little then put the mouse down and promise to never do that again Bleurgh!

camo16
    Free Member

GrahamS, do those foamy-wrist-support thingies really work?

I’m RSI-tastic from over typing and trying to work out the ergonomic solution to my joint twinges…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Mouse mats?’ is closed to new replies.