Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mouse in the house!!!
  • kilo

Mrs has seen a lone mouse in the kitchen and wants shot off it, do I place traps, and if so any recommended ones, myself or get a pest control bod in. House is newish, clean, etc. Any advice great fully received.

johndoh
    Free Member

Little Nipper loaded with peanut butter

cranberry
    Free Member

One of these:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oLv3Fd]IMG_2052[/url] by danbury collins, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Big-Dave
    Free Member

First thing you need to do is establish if it is just one or two mice you are dealing with or more. Check all of the cupboards. It is most likely that there are some nice gaps around the pipework where it comes into the base of the cupboards which are providing nice access points. Wire wool and/ or expanding foam can sort them out. Also check the loft, the little buggers can climb well and you never know if they have had a chance to migrate upwards. Check for chinks of daylight around the roof edge from inside the loft. Also check things like air bricks and drain covers around the outside of the property. If the airbricks have biggish holes in them use fine steel mesh to cover the front of them.

Traps can work, peanut butter is as good as any as a bait. Chocolate spread works well too. You are best to use multiple traps for mice. Little nippers work well, in fact most of the mouse ones do. If you decide to get a pest control bod in he will most likely want to use mutiple bait points. A sound approach that takes advantage of the mouses feeding patterns. Expect to pay between £80 – £100 for up to three visits. Any more than that and any fewer visits and you are getting ripped off.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Do what my wife did and waft it away.

We saw a mouse in the kitchen which ran behind a movable unit. When I moved the unit the mouse ran back the way it came and my wife grabbed the first thing that she could get hold of (a piece of junk mail) and tried to smash the little blighter with it. The force applied to the mouse was just about enough to flatten it’s back hair.

I couldn’t move for laughing.

Mind you it hasn’t been back, and we have three little snappers hidden around the kitchen.

Wafting is the way to go.

jools182
    Free Member

peppermint oil on cotton buds under the kitchen cupboards seems to have worked for me

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Little Nipper loaded with peanut butter

This. There will be more though. Make sure there is absolutely no food available, crumbs, cat/dog food etc too.

Big Dave’s advice is spot on too. We had them in the loft. I poisoned them in the end, as I just kept catching them in the traps.

Crell
    Free Member

Mice in the house”

FTFY, assuming you don’t have a cat that likes to bring you gifts

GrahamS

Tip Traps work very well if you don’t fancy killing them (or don’t want a half dead mouse crawling somewhere inaccessible to rot).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PegBzltixiA[/video]

Main thing though is to reduce available food sources (i.e put all your cereals in plastic boxes etc) and plug up any holes and entry points using gap filler and wire wool. If you don’t do this you’ll just get more mice in the future.

fasthaggis

If you have small kids ,Tip traps are ace .
    Used to catch them ,then let them run around in the bath( the mice,not the kids) 🙂

Chocolate raisins were the best bait.

Cougar

Kill ’em, unless you want a live mouse in a box.

fasthaggis

Aw Cougar,it was a lot of fun letting them go in the school playground (the mice ,not the kids).

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

Where there’s one, there’ always more than one.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Malawi over the past 4 years and this is how they deal with them there… basically a nice bar snack.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

You can also get electric mouse traps which will kill more than one mouse on a single set of batteries. Not had a chance to use one yet but I believe they are quite effective. They would at least remove the risk of having to deal with a half dead mouse dragging a trap around behind it.

Richie_B

Tip Traps work very well if you don’t fancy killing them (or don’t want a half dead mouse crawling somewhere inaccessible to rot).

The answer is to tie a bit of string to the staple on the little nipper and tie it to something so the little *******s can’t get far.

When it comes to the house the only good mouse is a dead mouse

GrahamS

When it comes to the house the only good mouse is a dead mouse

Call me an old hippy, but I’m just not a big believer in killing things just because they are mildly inconvenient. We even catch and release spiders and insects in our house. 😀

(Besides I wouldn’t want snap traps about where the kids are).

OP: no one has mentioned sonic plugs yet. They are worth sticking in, but only in addition to the other defensive measures. Some mice will brave running past them, so put them in places where there is food or they might stop to hide (e.g. pantry, behind the sofa etc)

adi66
    Free Member

We had a bit of a maouse problem in our attic last year…. could hear them at night.

Tried normal “snap traps” – the mouses seemed to just remove the bait.

tried humane “tilt traps” and found a mouse dragging it across the attic floor…

so I resulted to a Bucket half full of water, length of wood for the mouse to crawl up – baited with little blobs of chocolate spread, coke bottle (both ends removed) taped underneath half way up on the end (to make a see-saw type tube….

Blob of chocolate spread on the far end of the “Tunnel”

Mr mouse walks up wood… walks into tunnel… tunnel “over balances, and tips mouse into water – mouse gone.

I got 9 mice like this in 2 nights (multiple buckets)

…they’ve not been back since.

maccruiskeen

Kill ’em,

But kill them with kindness – look, made with natural whole wheat. Its good for them

Unlike ‘Pasta Bait’ (ooer) which not only is full of empty carbs, but also probably makes them go blind or get hair palms or something

Cougar

Tried normal “snap traps” – the mouses seemed to just remove the bait.

I found the best way was to *carefully* half-trip the trap, pushing the floor down so that it’s right on the edge of almost firing. I had a couple of baby mice that were too small to trip the trap, preloading it like this made it catch the buggers.

Call me an old hippy, but I’m just not a big believer in killing things just because they are mildly inconvenient.

As a card-carrying yoghurt-knitting vegetarian nor am I, but, mice breed like bastards and are incontinent. I don’t like killing things, but I like my floor covered in mouse excretions even less.

GrahamS

I don’t like killing things, but I like my floor covered in mouse excretions even less.

See I’ve got two young kids so my floor is constantly covered in assorted human excretions anyway 😀

Eyepic
    Free Member

Little Nipper loaded with peanut butter +1

theflatboy
    Free Member

Little Nipper loaded with peanut butter +2 – took less than one hour from putting it out to catching the little blighter when we had one the other week, approximately one week faster than the “humane” alternative that had been out!

Northwind

maccruiskeen – Member

But kill them with kindness – look, made with natural whole wheat. Its good for them

What if it’s on a gluten free diet? You total ****.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Great sport with an air pistol. Just sit in the kitchen at night with a few beers and wait to see what happens.

Marko

You can also get electric mouse traps which will kill more than one mouse on a single set of batteries. Not had a chance to use one yet but I believe they are quite effective. They would at least remove the risk of having to deal with a half dead mouse dragging a trap around behind it.

We have two of the electronic mouse Zappers – both charged and baited at all times. I’ve lost count, but the original one must be up to at least 40 ‘kills’. I should have marked them off on the trap like a fighter pilot from WW2

Marko

maccruiskeen

What if it’s on a gluten free diet?

They’ll get over it – most people’s wheat intolerance seems to wear off once they get bored of it. 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mouse in the house!!!’ is closed to new replies.