Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mountain Warehouse kit. good/rubbish?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just received an email regarding their sale, its very tempting on some of the kit, with some big reductions. Some of the outdoor jackets come with a true three yr warranty regarding waterproofness so they must be confident. Want a new coat as I’m thinking of giving up current lowe alpine to site duties. Any users? Nice soft shells too for biking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a tent, sleeping bag and mat from them, for the price it’s what I expected. I’d probably take a good look over the stuff in the shop really.

jam-bo

Some of the outdoor jackets come with a true three yr warranty regarding waterproofness so they must be confident.

Or they are so cheap to source they can afford to give you another one of you bother to complain.

Rubber_Buccaneer

for the price it’s what I expected

Sums it up. Mostly OK but just cheap kit. While you are in town check sports direct for similar.

MoreCashThanDash

Value for money. You can pay more for more durable better quality stuff, but only you know if it would be worth it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go outdoors has a sale on,similar stuff.

TomB

Their business model is the same con as Tog24 (and PlanetX to some extent) where there are always huge discounts off ‘rrp’ but the goods are unique to the company, so ‘rrp’ is irrelevant. Having said that, if you like the product (mountain warehouse are a bit hit and miss) and the price appeals, they are ok, just ignore the ‘discount’. I’ve got a few base layers, kids have approach shoe type things and waterproofs for school.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Pretty decent stuff IME, not absolutely top notch quality but for the price it’s well worth a look. In the last couple of year’s I’ve bought a nice windproof shell jacket which is fine for cycling/running, and some fairly robust walking shoes, been happy with both.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I’d sooner buy something quality from a known and respected brand off eBay and repair/re-proof etc if needed than something from there.

devash
    Free Member

I had a look in the Mountain Warehouse store in Whitby about five years ago and wasn’t that impressed with the quality of the kit.

There’s one where I’m living now (Skipton) but I haven’t been in yet so I’m not sure if their quality has improved.

I’m definitely of the “buy cheap, buy twice” school of thought when it comes to outdoor kit and with internet shopping really hammering down the price on branded kit I’d be more inclined to look for online bargains before shelling out money on cheaper high street stuff.

AlasdairMc

Decathlon is much better budget gear

martinhutch

Pretty low quality, for the most part. Good for a kid who will grow out of it after six months, but don’t expect it to last much more than that anyhow.

doris5000

if you’re after a cheap waterproof, this lot always seem to have cheap berghaus stuff going (limited sizes on some of them tho):

http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/?fh_sort_by=+stockstatusindex,-mandmgbp_savepercent&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/$s=berghaus/website%3E{mandmgbp}/productsalesgender%3E{mens}&fh_view_size=96

i dunno how people rate Berghaus but i’ve bought from this shop a couple of times and not had any problems

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think they’re fine for none tech stuff like fleeces, camping kitchen stuff, fleece gloves, socks etc. I wouldn’t buy technical gear from them tho.
    If money is tight, I’d be inclined to buy quality branded tech gear (jackets, rucksacks, tents, technical trousers, boots etc) off ebay as slight seconds as someone above suggests. It’s a bit of a gamble on ebay, but use a bit of common sense and you’ll rarely get a pig. If not suitable you can just resell stuff without much of a loss (or even at a profit if you’re lucky). I’ve had virtually new £150+ kit from Patagonia, Macpac, Mammut, Marmot, Arcteryx etc for £40-£60.

jp-t853

The stuff is fine, particularly kids stuff which is very good for the price. I would try on in store though, I was tempted by a Jacket a couple of weeks ago but the small was far too big for me and I am always a medium in jackets.

I always think the upper end of Regatta clothing is good honest quality at great prices or as said above Decathlon has some amazing loss leaders in its range.

chakaping
    Free Member

Look at sport pursuit for posher brands on discount.

RustySpanner

Joe Browns discount place in Llanberis usually has good quality shells for about half price, £100 or so.

Last year’s colours.
    🙂

It’s all top quality, legit gear with a full guarantee.

Well worth giving them a bell.
    Link.

Ask to speak to the discount shop – the prices in the main shop make my eyes bleed.

gordimhor

Like mikewsmith said look carefully in the store. Some stuff is decent value for money there’s a lot of tat though.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m trying one of their “merino” base layers at this very moment. It’s 20% polyester (not necessarily a bad thing) and the rest is the roughest merino I’ve encountered. It’s a wee bit itchy tbh. Whether it wicks usefully and resists pong is yet to be determined.

It was only £15 but I’m not sure yet if it’s good value.

Northwind

The merino explorer socks are ace (they’re a merino/poly mix but ime that works better, pure merino can be unpleasant when it’s damp)

Basically if you want first class stuff that’ll last years, don’t shop there. If you want entry level stuff and a full suit of gear for the price of a posh raincoat, they’re worth checking out. I have a fair amount of “occasional kit” from them that works really well but I’d not want to live in it for days up a proper mountain.

CraigW
    Free Member

I have got a few fleeces, synthetic baselayers, and gloves from there. I think they are pretty good. The baselayers are quite warm, but not the most breathable. Good for walking on cold days. The fleece is nice enough, seems to be lasting longer than some of the more expensive brands I’ve had.

Though yes, the claimed RRPs are nonsense. They always have some sort of sale, or buy one get one free offer.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Not the best, but perfectly adequate kit an reasonable prices. I use them a lot to kit out my kids with outdoor clothing and kit for their scout activies.

mattyfez

My only experience was with an elastic fabric bottle holder, strap came off in my hand, sent it back, same happened again. Gave it up as a bad job.. Although it was only about £2.

angeldust
    Free Member

Short answer…..it’s cheap crap, and not good value for money. Spend a bit more on ‘brand’ products when they are on at discount and will will get kit that is much better designed and will last longer.

sirromj

I’ve got several of their fluro long sleeve T shirts for layers on commutes (they’ve lasted a good 2 or 3 years so far), but anything else I’ll usually look elsewhere for.

nuke

Decathlon is much better budget gear

^ yep, that for me

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have a rucksack and a jacket. Bits started falling off both after a week, stitching coming lose, toggles going missing and the jacket manages to be heavy, cold, sweaty and ugly all at once.

I foolishly accepted them both as presents, and now spend a lot of time finding excuses to wear the ancient Goretex and softshell as the jacket is so bad.

Awful. Avoid.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I found out the hard way on there footwear. The waterproof trainers lasted about 2 months so went back along with some fancy Vibram soled boots that leak like a sieve.
    I think i’m on the 3rd pair of them as the guarantee gets reset on every pair you take back.
    Suppose you could end up with everlasting stuff if you’re prepared to return all the time.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Warehouse kit. good/rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.