Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem tyre chose?
  • squiff
    Free Member

Going to get another set of tires for MM, which of these two would you get?

Schwalbe Nobby Nic

or

Schwalbe Racing Ralph

they both get good reviews but I can’t decided on which one’s to get

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Both

rOcKeTdOg

NN front RR rear, in the dry

matty-B
    Free Member

If its dry I guess RRs, but as its Mayhem, get 1.8 muds.

yen
    Free Member

if it rains then ditto above…get some good mud tyres 😉

grahamh
    Free Member

1 set dry weather tyres.
    1 set mud tyres.
    1 set of tyres that will cope with a bit of mud or dry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

blacksharks …

clubber
    Free Member

bonty mud x I reckon. Obviously great in the mud but actually good in the dry too. Great choice at the bristol bikefest yesterday in changing conditions.

xcstu
    Free Member

Mucker

How did your ride go yesterday? Did you get wet?

I’m running Nobby Nics on at the moment for mixed conditions… not ridden on them lots because of my leg but did the job at Cheddar bikefest a while back.. Fast rolling and good for grip!

Got razors for dry as you know and trailrakers 1.8 for mud conditions 😉

shortcut

Black Sharks. 1.5 inch.

I was running Bonty Mud X last year and they still got clogged. Narrow is what you need. Course is very smooth. Ideally on a singlespeed. Preferably one of those surlys designed for 6 inch tyres!

squiff
    Free Member

xcstu

yes got very wet, was wearing my 2 gore windstopper jackets and my waterproof so nice and warm, just very wet.

It was an ok ride, don’t make much to jacobs ladder 😥

xcstu
    Free Member

😉 which way did you go up? over the bridge first? Not easy at the best of times!

Much better on a dry warm day got to say…..

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s dry: Furious Freds

If it’s wet: 1.5″ Black Sharks, nothing else for it!

Nick

Did it on Trail Rakers two years ago, could ride the whole course where many others were all over the place.

Oggles
    Free Member

Any more recommendations for cheap 1.5 tyres? Didn’t conti used to do Cross Country’s in a wire bead? I can only find folders, and can’t justify £60 a pair for them or schwalbe black sharks!

njee20
    Free Member

The Conti Cross Country is a terrible tyre, it’s thin, but that’s all it’s got going for it, the actual tread is rubbish, the Schwalbes work!

What about £33 for the Schwalbes: Clicky

Edit: sorry, not available. I heard they’d discontinued it, hopefully it’s not the case!

Oggles
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up on the conti XC njee20. I saw people using them last year but had no idea how they performed. I spotted that link in my googling, was gutted when I saw they were sold out!

squiff
    Free Member

CHEERS EVERYONE, thats great help, see you all at MM

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I’ve bought some panaracer fire XC 1.8s. Idea being I don’t have to worry too much about changing them during the race as they’llrun in most conditions, and I can use them for more than once a year. I can then concentrate more on EATING and SLEEPING.

normally run spesh enduro pros.

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Black shark 1.5 is out of stock from the factory, still on the list according to Schwalbe at Bikeradar live, just havn’t got any to sell.
    For what it’s worth i’m taking
    Ralphs
    Nobbys &
    Black shark 1.5
    Should have all bases coverd me thinks ;0)

Smee
    Free Member

Swampthings. Its always muddy down there.

lawnmowerman
    Free Member

Just spoken to this guy who will have 2.1 Black Sharks there (and Nobby Nics etc.)

NextDayTyres.com

squiff
    Free Member

My final tyre chose is Nobby nics and panaracer razors

Dougal
    Free Member

Dry: Maxxis Ignitor front, Crossmark rear (Like every other race this year, I’m not one for wasting time with tyres)

Wet: Completely different bike with conti 1.5s.

mudhound
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of 1.5ins Specilized houfallize tyres

as recommended by somebody in evans – did the business for 2 or 3 laps in 2007 mud and our team finished whole event unlike our two other teams (they don’t look much but do the business)

did 6 laps overall – tyres only used for 2 or 3 at mayhem so really good nick
    http://results.singletrackworld.com/team.php?id=9645

been trying to offload then for £20 plus postage

after 3 years of Mayhem done Passportes in 2008 and again this year as can’t justify 2 days off work for a 4 days trip with 5 to 8 laps

mudhound

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem tyre chose?’ is closed to new replies.