Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mountain mayhem
  • Paul-j

So this will be my first solo event.

Trying to decide if a slightly heavier full suss 27.5″ which I know fits better, or a slightly shorter steel 29er hardtail?
    Just thinking at 3 in the morning will I appreciate a little
    Bit of susspension other the hardtail?
    Any advice welcome.

djflexure

You will either have the mentality to flog yourself or you won’t. I doubt that the bike will come into it that much tbh. At 3 in the morning you will appreciate your bed, both bikes will look horrible. The lighter bike would be my choice as the event is not technical and you don’t have to be fast.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Take both, then when one breaks you have a backup and if the hardtail is breaking you can switch to the full sus.

alanl
    Free Member

One of the mags did side by side tests 10 or so years ago at Mayhem, riders used both HT and FS bikes. Pretty much all said the FS felt slower because of the extra weight, but the lap times showed the FS was faster on nearly all laps, as well as being more comfortable, or maybe becasue they are more comfortable the laps were faster.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take both, ride which feels best at the time and swap when one breaks or gets clogged with mud

stumpyjon

The one time I did it I took my light hardball, the full suss would have been a much better choice for comfort and therefore ultimately speed.

chum3
    Free Member

alanl – 10 years ago the test wouldn’t have been at Gatcombe, although your point on perceptive performance of full sus is relevant.

In recent years, in a team of 4, I’ve gone for the hardtail every time for this course, but as a solo I’d take both… It’s not rough, the climbs are steep but smooth, so sitting down a lot is not an issue, but I think having the option to swap to a full sus would be nice…

molgrips
    Free Member

Trying to decide if a slightly heavier full suss 27.5″ which I know fits better, or a slightly shorter steel 29er hardtail?

Good grief. Fit is the most important thing by far. If a bike is anything less than perfectly comfortable on a 4hr ride it’s going to be agony after 12 never mind 24.

But as above – if you have two bikes take two. If it might rain, put mud tyres on one. If it’s definitely going to be wet, take a helper to clean one when it stops working whilst you ride the other.

beaker

Take both. FS would be my choice though.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Take both. One as a spare Phillis if you’re like me and get awful back ache 12 hours in, swapping bikes mike just change your position enough to make a difference.

Sad it’s the last, but makes a decision for me: no more 24 hour solo races! Yay!

jonny-m
    Free Member

Again, take both, go with what ever is more comfortable on the day.
    I’ve done it 6 times solo and have ridden both.
    Interestingly enough whatever I start on wether it’s a full suss or hardtail, after 1 lap of swopping to the other I wasn’t happy and went back to what I started on, so bear that in mind.
    Sad it’s the last too, and like you above, I might make it my last 24hour race too.
    Was 12th last year, desperate for top 10 this year to finish of my attempts

mikertroid
    Free Member

Jonny, 5 places behind you then. Unlikely I’ll catch up this time!!

jonny-m
    Free Member

You never know, a lot can happen in 24 hours hours….
    I stand a good chance this time round I reckon

mikertroid
    Free Member

Aiming for Top 20. 20 laps my target. I’ll be like driving miss daisy from the start!!

emac65
    Free Member

Going to be such a shame when this finishes… Only did 5 of them, but would have done more but for the hardship of trying to get a team together each year….

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Worry more about putting the comfiest saddle possible on the bike, taking a few pairs of proper (lycra/padded) shorts that you trust, and plenty of sudochrem. I’m saying this from experience – the bike didn’t matter much on the day…

adsh
    Free Member

Why is it the last?.Entries down or we’ve just grown out of it or?

tomhoward

Last in its current form, I’m guessing they’ll shorten it for future events

teamslug
    Free Member

This will be my third solo attempt. I was 18th last year…seems like a lot of folks are having a go this year so i’m not that optimistic of improving on that. Take the comfiest bike you can, everything will hurt after 12 hours so anything that helps is a god send. Set one up as a mud bike in case it rains. I was talking to Pat at Singletrack 7 and he fed me a few nuggets of information but nothing concrete.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Oooh, can you divulge…

Paul-j

I didnt realise it was the last one.
    I think the full sus will be the way ahead, but like alot of you have mentioned I’ll have the hardtail at the ready.

Any tips for a first time soloist?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Ride a bit slower than you normally do, try not to stop for too long, limit it to 5-10 mins every lap, take two bikes if possible, make sure there in tip top order, take all the cycling gear you own and as much variety of real food that you can think of.
    Get there early, get a track side spot, have an early night, then go for it.
    It’s only 24 hours….
    Oh and pray for sun!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mountain mayhem’ is closed to new replies.