• This topic has 32 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by v10.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mountain Kings v high rollers…thoughts?
  • rOcKeTdOg

as an all rounder?

Pieface

Ba doom tish!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Cheesy chalk.

teacake
    Free Member

Just gone from 2.4 mountain kings to 2.35 high rollers. The High rollers are probably a little wider, but roll a mile better and have a ton more grip. I doubt the bead will explode off like my last mountain king did.

Conti make poo mtb tyres but ace road ones. Maxxis for mtb all the way!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my 2.2 mtn kings were the worst tyres ive ever ridden without a doubt.

bomberman
    Free Member

cant say about mountain kings although i was thinking about getting some myself until i heard they were pap. get yourself a high roller 2.35 maxxpro 60a kevlar folding. They dont weigh more than a kenda small block 8, they weigh less than a single ply non-folding high roller and for a tyre with so much grip theyre pretty fast. For me, the perfect tyre.

MrNutt
    Free Member

High Roller 2.35 LUST = perfect tyre IMHO

rOcKeTdOg

cool, now where’s the best price for the HRs?

swoosh
    Free Member

bomberman, do you mean THESE ONES?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I bought mine from noahsark they might do you a bit of a deal?

bomberman
    Free Member

swoosh – that’s the one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve had the following over the last year:

2.2″ Mountain Kings on a HT, roll bloody fast but don’t like mud/wet

2.4″ Mountain Kings on my Pitch, ok in the dry, seem to suddenly loose all grippage ability as the tread wears a little.

2.35″ High ROllers on my Pitch bloody ace.

Overall, DON’T buy mountain kings

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

When people speak of Conti MKs in whatever guise, 2.2 or 2.4, are you all referring to just the basic folding tyre??

I’ve had MK Pros 2.4 (the ones with the Black Chilli compound) for the last year and found them to be superb tyres. Granted, they get sketchy in wet mud (perhaps due to low tread pattern) but apart from that they’re grippy and very fast rolling.

Can those previous owners of MKs honestly say the HRs are faster rolling? If so I’m buying a pair.

steve_b77
    Free Member

HR’s definatley don’t roll faster, not in the combo I have anyway Front-ST, Rear-Maxpro.

Perhaps the XC HR’s do?

Speshpaul

What Kingofbiscuits said. protection Mk’s with Black chilli compound for the summer. been great, if you like Verts then you’d like MK’s.
    I haven’t tried High rollers but then i haven’t got anything white on bike;-)

bomberman
    Free Member

steve that because youre using a super tacky on the front

steve_b77
    Free Member

bomberman – Member
    steve that because youre using a super tacky on the front

I know, but the MK’s are faster than the HR’s not as fast as Ignitors though

bomberman
    Free Member

all i know is that you never get anyone complaining about grip from a high roller. they’re cheap, grippy and good all year round. lots of people complain about skitty mountain kings though

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As per KoB, is the papness experienced by some down to the non-Black Chili compound? How are people finding the Black Chili-fied Supersonic and Protection Mountain Kings?

MrNutt
    Free Member

steve_b77 do you think Ignitors are “faster” than high rollers? I’d disagree, I find HR’s quite a bit faster than Ignitors! whats going on there then??

matthewlhome
    Free Member

even more importantly – what are ignitors like as an all round tyre? Am looking at a LUST set of these and tubeless ready Bonty ACXs.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

hmm, just seen Mr Nutts ad for the magic knobble removing ignitors…

Might just stick with what i know and go for the bonys then (plus will support the lbs)

MrNutt
    Free Member

there’s a treat for you in the classifieds Matthewlhome!

willej

Been running Mountain King Protection 2.4s, with the Black Chili compound for a year now. They are great all rounders. Non Black Chili Contis are shockingly gripless in anything even slighly damp. The Black Chili compound is in a completely different grip league, much like the WTB DNA compound.

MrNutt
    Free Member

ah, but you’ve not made me an offer!!

grumm
    Free Member

I have the same combo as steve_b77 – the grip is fantastic but they do feel a little draggy, especially on roads, but then who really cares about that?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Controversial I know, but I didn’t get on with High Rollers. Had 2.35 in both the harder and softer compounds. I found the harder set rolled really well, but lost grip very quickly on my local trails as soon as it got even damp. The softer compound was much better for grip but dragged like help on the ups. Currently have MK tubeless (Black Chilli compound) and find them a really good all round tyre, roll well but grip in all conditions.

Having said all that I am personally convinced most of it is in your head (obviously a crap tyre is crap). If you think it works for you then you’ll get more confident and think less about the tyres and more about your lines and then hey presto your going faster. IMO

steve_b77
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    steve_b77 do you think Ignitors are “faster” than high rollers? I’d disagree, I find HR’s quite a bit faster than Ignitors! whats going on there then??

Yeah I definatley find Ignitors faster than high rollers, well the Ignitors I use anyway, they’re the Exception Series ones.

As for general Ignitor perceptions, I think they’re pretty good to be honest, I run them on my HT when it’s not clad in Mud X’s, they grip pretty well on rocks ‘n roots and cope really well with snow (found that out on Monday night).

You can pick them up on fleabay for less than the shop prices too looky here

matthewlhome
    Free Member

sorry Mr Nutt, but I could probably do with a few more blocks on there for the loam/sand/mud/clay round here.

when they had all the knobbles on, how did they ride though?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been using Mountain King 2.2 tubeless.Don’t think these have the black chilli compound,but fantastic allrounder! Been a bit of a Conti fan myself though.My Speedkings have turned into Snowkings ater the epic on the hardtail today!
    Thanx Max

MrNutt
    Free Member

the Ignitors were very good to be honest, nice and grippy and absolutely perfect for trail centers and dryer days but the High Rollers seem to fly along and rail around the corners, the Ignitors are very good don’t get me wrong but to me the High Rollers are “that step up”.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

ta for that. that review seals my choice as I could do with something that works ok in mud and damp crud.

And once those tyres go on, I don’t want to have to switch them over until the mud-x go back on in about October.

v10
    Free Member

MK’s are shockingly bad if they arent black chilli compound, otherwise pretty good. I find the 2.2’s produce a lot more grip than the 2.4s (especially when comparing the supersonics) as the 2.4 sidewalls just tend to fold under proper cornering loads.

High rollers are great tyres but ive always found a set of Minion Fronts on the front and rear, roll that bit faster and are more predictable/controllable on the limit. Now come in 2.35 kevlar bead flavour too. Perfect!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Kings v high rollers…thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.