Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mountain King 29 x 2.2 …opinions?
  • ctznsmith
    Free Member

Anyone ride these and have an opinion/advice?

I've been riding a borrowed front wheel with a Kenda Nevengal 2.2 which is tubeless, switched to my newly built front wheel today with a tube and Mountain King 2.2.

First thoughts was that they are much 'skinnier' than the Nevengal and the Bonty ACX 2.2 I have on the back. However noticeably quicker with less resistance…but cornering grip seems pretty sketchy! Wasn't feeling totally in control like the tyre was just skipping sideways. I ran the Nevengal at 40 psi but with old sealant think it lost a bit during a ride, also ran the Mountain King today at 40 psi, would dropping the pressure a bit help with grip?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Kenda's come up big.

Mk's in my view are rubbish, I got rid after two rides, but they are light. They gave me little to no confidence when leaning the bike over at high speed in berms etc. They also had a nasty way of letting go and two wheel sliding in a very unpredictable manner, granted I was on almost hardpack though and I guess they would be better if the ground was sticky or a bit muddy. Still for me they are junk.

Driller
    Free Member

If you like not knowing where the hell your bike will go next then Mountain Kings are great! Sketchy, vague, minimal cornering grip, all present and correct.

If you actually want some grip and control then look elsewhere. Nevegals and High Rollers are the ones, why would you want any other tyres?

MrSmith
    Free Member

there are new redesigned MK's coming out. seen them at bikegaydar. dunno what the 29 options are though

AlasdairMc

I've got 26 x 2.2 MKs and they're crap. Continental's definition of 'mountain' is clearly different to everyone else's. Good on the road though, low resistance and they roll well.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Driller you can't get 29er High Rollers though sadly.

Therefore what 29er tyres that are fast rolling and grippy?!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Crossmarks roll really fast but not that grippy when you lean them over, only realy good in the bone dry.

Ignitors are great in most conditions until it gets really messy.

I would howveer go with Ardents 60a they are great they roll really well and are really grippy. They come in 2.25 or 2.4. The 2.4 will come up like a nevengal 2.2.
    I have run 2.4 ardent 26's on my DH rig and they were awesome.

Clink

Crossmarks roll really fast but not that grippy when you lean them over, only realy good in the bone dry

I disagree; they are a race tyre, and I wouldn't use one on the front, but ace on the back. New Aspens though are even better – roll well and I'm finding more grip – very light too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The Aspen is a superb tyre. Its a shame there isn't a LUST version available yet.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

we're talking aspen on the back right? Think they only come in a 2.1 as 29er tyres not much volume for a front.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ardent 2.25 on the front, with aspen 2.1 on the rear, cracking tyres

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mountain King 29 x 2.2 …opinions?’ is closed to new replies.