Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mountain biking trousers
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Blooming chilly now so wanna put some mtb trousers on the Xmas list to keep me warm. Went Llandegla Friday with 3/4s on and wooly booly socks on, the right foot got wet and due to my poor circulation I was in agony for the rest of the ride. I don’t mean just a numb foot which is fine I’m used to it but it went beyond numb so was bad. Gonna invest in some merino seal skin socks (already used the summer type and found them to be good when warmer) but obviously once the water goes over the top my foot would be wet. I’ve tried tights over the top of the socks and found that combo to be great for keeping my foot dry but the problem is I can’t wear tights as I’m allergic to them and get infection after infection if I wear them so I need something more breathable but still warm!

righog
    Free Member

Pants

Any Good ?

Edit ; I meant any good for you. I have got some and I think they are very good 🙂

Mackem

I like Ron Hill’s – Not really mtb trouser and not tights, sort of inbetweeny. Cheap mind.

http://www.sportsaver.co.uk/acatalog/Ron_Hill_Tracksters.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stratman
    Free Member

Endura singletracks work for me. Kept me warm on the road bike last night.

stratman
    Free Member

Endura singletracks work for me. Kept me warm on the road bike last night.

backinireland
    Free Member

Infection?
    What are you allergic to?
    I switched to non bio washing stuff and solved that problem

gusamc
    Free Member

me and gf wear 3/4 shorts and just below knee long waterproof socks (sealskins or black army ones – coz they were about 10 on flebuy)

re water over foot – we both use Shimano goretex winter boots with neoprene leg seals, I was truly impressed when gf avoided brambles by wading in shin deep water, feet still try as seal kept water out of boot (*re shoes – think about buying a size up to allow use of thick socks without circultion etc issues), a cheapo old persons tip would be to put feet in carrier bags – not so good nowdays as bags have got a lot thinner and have holes but it used to work for me on on offroad motorbiking

GolfChick
    Free Member

Defo not down to the washing powder etc as all my clothes get washed in the same things but as soon as I wear anything lycra I get an infection. I wore a pair of padded shorts of my OHs and they were a lycra and I got an infection.

I’ve seen the gore trousers etc soft shell and wondered how good they were. I wear a cheap pair to walk in and find them good but imagine them to be very warm on the bike… Too warm perhaps.

househusband
    Free Member

These were recommended to me on here a month or two back – they are superb!

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/fox-shuttle-pants/11146#buy

maccruiskeen

If you get on ok with wool socks (most people i know who get irritated/allergic to clothing are usually more effected by wool than synthetics) then maybe a wool baselayer under something lycra. Otherwise ronhills as above which are less lightfitting than lycra but acheive the same goal – and their not too spendy if they prove to be a bad choice. As a laaaaaydeee you’ll have pretty thin pickings for mtb specific trews rather than longs, but walking trousers that are quick drying rather than fully waterproof (so not as hot) would maybe do the trick.

GolfChick
    Free Member

It might of been not so much the fabric as the lack of breathability with the lycra.

backinireland
    Free Member

I always washed stuff in bio then when i started mtb I started getting 100’s of wee spots after a cycle. It was Helly hansen tops that were doing the damage, switched to non bio and I was fine. Not sure whether it was the fact I was sweating so much or as you say the breathability but the switch to non bio worked for me.
    Can still wear non sports gear washed in bio

snipswhispers
    Free Member

picked up a bargain here last week

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ParamoSeconds/Legwear-/_i.html?_fsub=2032903015&_sid=1010329155&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

as for your ‘poor circulation’ i had a slightly different problem (trapped nerve), though at first i put it down to poor circulation so when out on the bike i endeavoured to walk much more (not too difficult given my chronic asthma)

so out went spd’s etc to be replaced with

regular walking boots (with the waterproof layer…event works grrreat!)

removable pedals so that you’re not knocking your shins into mush;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wellgo-C-128-quick-release-pedal-RED-/270994403871?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f1886721f

it takes a few times to get the knack of putting the pedals back on the crank but they’re bombproof…and find a safe place to stash the pedal when you’re pushing the bike :oops:…nearly lost one at a most inconvenient time.

oh, and drinking pure orange juice seems to improve my overall circulation.

hope this helps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking trousers’ is closed to new replies.