Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mountain-biking in Texas…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

There’s a fair chance I’ll be doing some work in Houston in the near future, going out for a few weeks at a time. I know Houston is flat and surrounded by swamps, but I believe there are a few trails in various parks around the city.
    Is there anywhere near enough for a weekend road-trip? Big Bend Park looks fantastic but is 650 miles away!

rOcKeTdOg

Have linked this thread to @onesockdan on Twitter I think he lives near those parts

SimonR

Was looking for similar info earlier in the week and found these sites … http://www.biketexas.net/mountainbiking.asp and http://ghorba.org/trails
    Got some relatives out that way and was wondering about a stop-over (with bike of course!).

Macgyver

Hoping to get some mountain biking in over Christmas when we visit the in-laws. That’s Austin where there are hills. Definately doable as a weekend trip from Houston. I don’t have any where to recommend as yet however.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

<bookmarks thread for future over-weekend business trips>

thewanderer
    Free Member

I too will be visiting the in-laws in Austin for Christmas! Austin has some great riding – Emma Long for tech, Barton creek for xc, Reimers Ranch is alright and I like Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville particularly when the saloon is open and you can grab a shiner at the end of the trail. Houston less so. Memorial Park just to ride but not really exciting.

http://www.mountainbiketx.com/texas/trails/index.php Seems like a good source of info.

Macgyver

My local trail when I am there is Bull Creek. Not that much to the bit I had a brief play on but some cheeky stuff above the office blocks on 360/ Pioneer Valley and a good stiff climb out on Spicewood Springs. I seem to remember pinging out of one trail into the bottom level of an office car park. 😮
    mmmmmm cold bottles of Shiner mmmmmmmmmmmm 😀

scottfitz
    Free Member

+1

honourablegeorge

bristolbiker – Member

+1

Macgyver

Bloody hell, its almost an exodus to Texas! That website looks quite handy. I’m going to have to check things out now that I will have a bike based there.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my bike in Austin, in the city’s parks though. I didn’t have a car to do anything more, plus it was many years ago.

I’ve never sweated so much ever, and it was only May!

Macgyver

Aye, it can get warm there. Highs of 100 degrees every day for a month in the height of summer is common. Only way to get out is very early or late and even then its a bit much at times.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Bloody hell, its almost an exodus to Texas!

Was doing it 4/5 times a year, for a week or so at a go, up to MiniBB No.2 being born last year and am now fighting hard to only be sent when absolutely necessary on red-eye trips. Do miss Shiner in frozen glasses, portions of steak/seafood I could live on for a week and the general feeling of being in a city that is itself a Disney theme park version of what a Texas city should be. Do not miss rush-hour traffic on Beltway 8, I45 or I10…..

acjim
    Free Member

we spent a few days at Palo Duro Canyon (years ago!) – not close to Houston at all but good biking and a full on Desert experience.

Tarantula in the tent etc!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mountain-biking in Texas…’ is closed to new replies.