Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mountain Biking and Me
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

I had one of the best rides I’ve had in years on Saturday, so I thought I would write a little note on what mountain biking has meant to me. (Warning – there may be a bit of very un-British heart-on-sleevery, so the squeamish may want to look away.)

Saturday’s ride was not in a special or exciting place, the weather wasn’t that great, the trails were muddy and slow, but for a couple of reasons, these were the most enjoyable and important 18 miles I have ridden in many years. Some of you will have seen some posts on here, and those that know me in person may have heard rumblings that I have not been particularly well, mentally or physically, for a few years now. But on Saturday I had a wonderful moment of clarity and optimism.

I was excited about riding up the road from the car park, I was interested in talking to my riding buddies – about how clean their bikes are, about the weather, about nothing in particular – and I was thrilled about the tiniest stretch of singletrack between one road and another which I have ridden literally hundreds of times before.

I was fast. Maybe not by professional or even amateur racers’ standards. Probably not even by some of my fitter friends standards. But the main thing was that I felt fast. My legs worked. I span easily up hills which would normally have me giving up in despair half way. I was turning higher gears through the mud, because I could. When I got to the end of the ride, I felt a little heavy but I still felt like commanding my legs to spin just a bit quicker up that last hill, and they responded. And it wasn’t just my impression. A couple of guys made the point of telling me that they couldn’t believe how fit I seemed to be.

When I got home I didn’t have cramp or a headache, and it’s been almost 2 days and I still don’t have a cold!

I’m sure this is all due to a lot of work I have been doing on my health. It may not last forever, and I may still have down periods, but I can’t remember being so happy about such a routine ride. I must be making progress.

I have been through some very difficult times, but I have always been able to keep motivating myself with the promise that I would at some point enjoy a nice bike ride. I occasionally went months at a time, unable to motivate myself to get out, but when I did, no matter how **** I felt during or afterwards, I always found that it refreshed me just a little. Even in the darkest of dark times, I have been able to find some enjoyment and clarity for a few hours, among people that are fun, laid back and supportive, even if I have not been in the mood for any conversation. I don’t have to say a word, I just have to ride.

I often find myself lying in bed on a cold rainy day, or even a warm dry day, debating the relative merits of making myself move from my pit and riding my bike vs staying where I am. I don’t always make the right decision, but I do always hold on to the fact that I have never, ever, not even once, regretted getting on a bike. It’s always been there as a motivator and a light at the end of the tunnel.

And all that is why a 3 hour, 18 mile ride, through mud, in drizzle, over trails I have ridden a hundred times, was one of the best rides I’ve ever had.

TL:DR – Riding bikes is great, and even if it doesn’t solve everything, it always solves something.

tmb467
    Free Member

dont know your history or anything but speaking from experience I can empathise with the situation, and based on that I’m chuffed for you

nothing like the feeling when it all works…it wont always be like that for one reason or another…but you dont forget it when it’s great and the memory of it being great inspires you to do it again

its a spiral that makes you feel better and better and thats why bikes and friendship and being outdoors is wonderful

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have never, ever, not even once, regretted getting on a bike

This bears repeating and is so very true. Nice story. I’d rather be reading stuff like this on STW than the latest debate about tyres/wheel sizes/trail centres. Put a good old fashioned smile on my face. Cheers 🙂

timraven

Great to hear your enjoyment.
    I often tell people who question why I ride mountain bike “at my age”,
    “Life only makes sense when the pedals are turning”

Here’s to enjoying bikes for many years.

BlobOnAStick

Well done mate. Good for you!

How about getting a new handle on here? 16stonepig sets up a bit of a negative image, which I’m sure doesn’t do justice to your new found positivity. Just a thought.

16stonepig
    Free Member

It’s not a reference to my heftitude (although I have been close to that in the past).

madjak
    Free Member

Glad you had a good ride but sometimes it’s more than that. Its feeling like something had clicked into place. Cycling has helped me through some rough times, it amazes me how different you can feel at the start and end of a ride.

Keep up the good work dude!

eviljoe
    Free Member

I like this a lot 🙂

Spring is a great time to get out on the bike and feel good about yourself!

ljs1977
    Free Member

Spring is coming, the ground is getting firmer, we are getting fitter.

Time to get out with some mates and ride like your a teenager, not a dad (which I like being) with a shit job and a chuff off mortgage.

Riding bikes is effing great!!!

Good on ya !!!

sbob
    Free Member

TL:DR – Riding bikes is great, and even if it doesn’t solve everything, it always solves something.

Excellently put. 8)

16stonepig
    Free Member

Spring is a great time to get out on the bike and feel good about yourself!

It certainly is. When do you suppose Spring will be?

eviljoe
    Free Member

<poeticmoment>

Any ride where the newborn lambs gambol in the fields and the starlings flock overhead is a spring ride

</poeticmoment>

Even if the snow is coming in horizontal …

grum
    Free Member

Good work fella – great to hear. I recognise quite a bit of the stuff you’re talking about. I had one of those rides last week – felt like I was absolutely flying (then got two punctures in a row and had to walk back 🙂 ).

This seems appropriate:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUL65ddSbk0[/video]

It certainly is. When do you suppose Spring will be?

It was a lovely spring here a week or two ago (or was that summer?).

rob1984p
    Free Member

That last paragraph is where I spend a lot of time, sort of “the hardest part of the marathon is the first step”, you’re not the only one that doesn’t always make the correct decision but having the good mates to get muddy with is always a good incentive.

senorj

Bravo to you.
    I know what you mean.
    Riding my bike is like a good dose of medicine.

asterix
    Free Member

Great first post, feel good for you. Like said above so much better than all the crap about wheels etc. We should all try to remember how it feels after a great ride and use that as help to get out again.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Brilliant! I’m so glad you’re feeling great and positive 😀

Kunstler

I don’t always make the right decision, but I do always hold on to the fact that I have never, ever, not even once, regretted getting on a bike. It’s always been there as a motivator and a light at the end of the tunnel.

And all that is why a 3 hour, 18 mile ride, through mud, in drizzle, over trails I have ridden a hundred times, was one of the best rides I’ve ever had.

Riding bikes is great, and even if it doesn’t solve everything, it always solves something.

Wonderful. Riding my bike got me through a truly awful time a few years back but I still knew then that the familiar can have a newness if you are ready to look for it in that way.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

<applause>

Brilliant. Really uplifting post. Thanks for sharing. A reminder that it’s all about enjoying yourself on a bike at the end of the day, not matter what you ride or where.

😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking and Me’ is closed to new replies.