Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mountain biking and DSLR's
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Good idea or not for taking shots while I’m out. I just do General xc, no jumps etc but sometimes a rocky descents. Will be in camelbak.

Or should I not bother.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I don’t bother.

I’m going to buy something like a Fuji X20 for general day to day carrying & riding.

I used to carry a body & basic lens, but just want something smaller & lighter now.

grum
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother unless you’re going out to do a photo shoot type of thing. I bought a Fuji XF1 that comes out with me now – very happy with it.

I took my 5D once and never bothered again.

number18
    Free Member

I haven’t ever bothered, too scared!

I’d contemplate taking a compact out, but never actually have.

yacoby
    Free Member

Depends what you are taking photos of. I have found at times that non SLRs are just too slow for good action shots.

user-removed
    Free Member

I almost always take mine but I’m a photographer so can’t abide not having instant, accurate AF. Don’t notice the slight extra weight.

grum
    Free Member

You can get pretty damn good AF on decent compacts and Compact System Cameras these days.

I normally prefocus for action shots anyway.

butcher

Done it loads. In fact I never venture out without a camera. Have ridden sportives with a dSLR. It’s a lot of weight to hulk about though, so it depends how important it is to you. These days I use a Lumix LX5 when on the bike. Much easier.

justinbieber

I do, but that’s because I bought my Dslr mainly to take biking. I’ve dropped it once and broke a lens, but ironically that was carrying it in from the car, not out biking.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I just want to take some nice scenic pics when im out. As my phones crap quality.

martymac

i do, i use a lowepro slingshot bag, which only has one shoulder strap, and space for camera and lens, spare lens, phone, puncture outfit multitool etc.
    its slightly bigger than a camelbak.
    its barely noticable when on, and gives quick easy access to the camera.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Is there any back packs for cameras or is it ok in camelbak. Not too fussed about easy access, will mainly be when I stop for a good rest.

user-removed
    Free Member

Grum, yes you can but still not close to dslr speed and accuracy, most especially in low light – a dslr with a fast lens will stiIl wee all over the latest Fujis / compact Canons in a shady wood.

That new Sony A7 thing might be a game changer though…

Edit. OP, I just have mine in a large, simple LowePro toploading bag inside my backpack. Keep the inner padded bag unzipped so i can whip it out swiftly. Oo-err.

kayak23

I carry mine quite often. Carried it all day, every day on a 3 week South American trip with one of these..

Slings are comfortable and this one has a waist strap too, but I find on rough
    ground they roll around your body to the front.

I now have a Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L
    Good for riding and casual, though they do a sports version which is more like a regular riding pack.

If the weather is wet though, I’ll rarely risk my posh camera despite the excellent rain cover on the Lowepro .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking and DSLR's’ is closed to new replies.