Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mountain Bikey stag weekend
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Has anyone had one? Were did you go? Did you lose an eyebrow?

rossi46
    Free Member

We went to the Forest of Dean a couple of years ago. We did camping and although it was April it was freezing at night- not too bad but do take more than one sleeping bag!
    Forest Of Dean is very underestimated for riding- it has everything, play areas to chuck yourself off/ down or if like us lot you are too hung over theres some really good XC routes. They can be as hard or easy as you like.
    Also you will be blessed with some really good pubs in the local area.

Overall- highly recommended and not quite as hardcore as Wales or Scotland.

Bedds
    Free Member

I did Cheddar, complete with an hour wearing a borat thong.. awesome weekend 🙂

rossi46
    Free Member

Also my own stag do was riding around Bedgebury Forest in Kent/ Sussex- recently the singletrack loop has been upgraded with some real belting sections to it. They’ve taken a cue from some of the Welsh sections and kept it all really flowing. Dont go expectiong massive hills as its in Kent, but dont expect it to be flat because it’s Kent either!

Beware of the car park- £8 for the day 😐

organic355
    Free Member

We stayed in mabie house hotel, and did mabie the next day, well 3-1/2 out of 12 of us did!

Staff at hotel were amazing, food was excellent and had a great night out in Dumfries (yeah really!!)

Other option is the roundhouse at Marthrown. We had it booked but a few people bottled out and wanted hot running water!

carlphillips
    Free Member

bedds was that you at the cheddar challenge in ’08 (ish) ?

sponging machine had his in afan…was funny ‘fluid’ nightclub in Maesteg was a particular highlight!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks guys! I am looking at something laid back for the non Bikey types. Borat on a bike sounds funny 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

We did glentress and then edinburgh for a night out. was a great stag.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Glentrees & Edimburgh looks like a good option. I told my fiancé what we were planning on the stag and she said it sounded fun can she come too…

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Dales mountain bike centre , good accomodation , good routes , access to good local pubs

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have been on a bikey/non-bikey stag doo. Camped in Betws-y-Coed for a couple of days and then moved on to a great bunk house in Dolgellau when the non-bikey lot turned up. It still gave the bikers a chance to do Cader Idris which is well worth it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you go to Forest of Dean they have a Go Ape there.. something to do with the non bikers?

binners

Another vote for Glentrees & Edinburgh. We had a cracking stag weekend with a group of bikey and non-bikey people.

Innerleithin on the Saturday (while the non-bikey lot played golf), big night out in Edinburgh Saturday night, very hungover Glentress blue run on Sunday, with the non bikey types along on hire bikes

hammerite
    Free Member

We had a weekend in Sheffield, Friday night in Sheffield. As there were some non bikey types we hired bikes and rode gently around Ladybower or Howden, one of them I can’t remember on the Saturday morning.

Then as the stag is a bit of a tart his best man had also booked us into a spa for the afternoon (Titanic, Huddersfield), where we told the stag that his future wife had asked us to make sure he had a smooth back for their wedding. 😆

Then back to Sheffield for the night out.

crankboy
    Free Member

Glentress and inerlithen on the Saturday night out in peebles the sunflower restaurant then pubs glentresss Sunday morning . Broken cheek bone and concussion courtesy of spooky woods . Black eye for the big day . The wedding photos look ace.

abennell
    Free Member

Oooh i hadn’t thought of a biking stag weekend, sounds like a great plan, wedding not for another 18 months so had better get planing! Think i’ll look at a cabin near Coed y Brenin…..

igm

Not a stag as such, but my best man and I did PPdS for our 40ths.

trb
    Free Member

I did CyB. We stayed in the house near the pub a couple of miles down the valley from CyB, so no need to venture very far. I rode the next day with a fetching pink basket & tassles on my bars + I think spokey dokeys.

I left my non-bikey mates at home tho and went drinking with them the night before the wedding – luckily we’d booked a late ceremony.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

If you want an abroad stag have a look at;

http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/index.jsp?c=66005

or

http://www.mondialduvtt.com/en/home.html

both good fun, good riding and good food and beer

topper

Second the Forest of Dean. Have a look at the luxury log cabins with hot tubs and everything you need for a weekend. Google Forest of Dean cabins.

HTH

xterramac
    Free Member

I’m thinking of entering a 10man team in Mountain mayhem for my stag do, a mix of bikers and none bikers, beers and strippers, should be a hoot……….
    We did a good one for a mate a few years back, “the ebay £20 bike stag do pub ridel.” As it says on the tin, each buy a bike,with a max value of £20, get them delivered to the best man’s house, who then brings them up to start point in his van of said pub crawl (untested and unchecked) mount up and all hell is let loose, helmets and armor advised.
    or you could go to FOD

doug_basqueMTB.com

We’ve done quite a few of them over the last couple of years. San Sebastian for night out, biking and surfing as the activities. It’s always funny seeing the nick of some guys when they turn up for biking 🙂 I’ve not broken any stags yet but it’s a dangerous business with all that testosterone flying about.

rossi46
    Free Member

If you go to Forest of Dean they have a Go Ape there.. something to do with the non bikers?

Add fishing lakes with that (there’s a couple within the forest)- unfortunately i didnt take my Pike rods, but the rivers Wye and Severn are pretty nearby for more non bike relaxation.

dafoxster
    Free Member

For mine we hired a bunk house on Exmoor near Lynmouth for ~14 of us only accessible by 4×4.

A lot of the guys were not riders but the 14 mile route set by the hired guides was challenging enough. We then went back had lots of beer and meat before I was stripped and dressed like Frakenfurter.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Some good suggestions 🙂 I like the eBay £20 challenge.

CyB is a regular place I go to, so I think Edinburgh will feel a bit more like a trip away.

Bedds
    Free Member

Carlphillips.. yep.. that was me 😳 awesome event.. hiping to back this year! Were you rising or spectating?

carlphillips
    Free Member

we were camped just a few metres down from you guys, we were the team of 8 or so with our families in tow…you did quite well from what i can remember!
    personally i didn’t like the course, too short for a long event leading to lots of congestion, heinous climb and then very good descent which was spoiled by lack of overtaking chances and the congestion!…the course favoured the climbers which i most definitely ain’t!!

chakaping
    Free Member

We hired a flat or two in Edinburgh for my mate’s stag, worked out cheaper and more flexible than hotels would have.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bikey stag weekend’ is closed to new replies.