Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Mountain biker relations with walkers, horses, dogs etc
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

Was wondering what people think about how mountain bikers interact with other single track users.

On the whole, people are pretty polite and I try to do my best to build good relations with others people by saying ‘hi’, ‘thanks’ and ‘lovely day for it’ etc.

The moorland I ride is public land with bridle ways but I have had the odd complaint or rude remark from mainly dog walkers that I shouldn’t be up there.

Also wonder about giving right of way, stopping for nervy horses and yapping dogs.

z1ppy

We’re lowest of the low, priority wise.
    You should give way to walkers and horses, though being sensible is allowed… if there enough space then keep riding.
    Slowing to a crawl or stopping completely for horses no matter what the situation is advisable (in my book), as do you want a half a tonne of horse treading on your head?

Say Hi & be polite, and ignore the idiots. As with all walks of life, there idiots on bikes, as well as idiot walkers/horse riders…

yoshimi

‘proper’ walkers such as the ones I met last Saturday seem cool as long as you give them room and don’t fly up behind them – occasional walkers tend to be knobbers

Sweeping generalisation I know but seems to hold true for me

composite
    Free Member

I have normally found walkers and horse riders to be fine, in fact very pleasant. I respect there use of the country side, they seemingly respect mine.

The problem is normally dog walkers who seem to have a different attitude altogether. The amount of times I have had to point out that a path made by feet does not mean its a foot path.
    I think its a position of ignorance where actual walkers understand the difference between a route between trees that is slightly less covered in grass or leaves is different to a sign posted, marked on a map actual footpath.

redthunder
    Free Member

as Zippy says. and as the posts in between.

I had a bloke the other day saying bikes are not allowed of Bridleways. Just gave a nod and hello and moved on …. just not worth the effort debating the intricate details of the Higyway Act any more.

However, the Bluebells are coming out 🙂

timnwild

Lots of walkers, dog owners and horses on our Sunday rides around Shoreham, and everyone’s 99% fine – don’t mind a bit of speed as long as you shout a friendly warning, hold the gates open, all that. We always set manners to maximum in return, and apart from the odd nippy dog, we’ve never had any trouble.

I do wonder why some people decide to ride really skittery horses on busy shared use bridleways though.

z1ppy

I do wonder why some people decide to ride really skittery horses on busy shared use bridleways though.

Do you really think they have much choice?
    Do you think that lots of them really would be there, if they had a choice othewise?

faz083
    Free Member

Do you really think they have much choice?

Are you suggesting these people are forced to ride horses? Doesn’t sound much fun to me.

sandwicheater

Yep, 99% of people I meet are fine and courteous and I’m always the same. It’s just the odd knobber that sticks in your mind.

gingerss
    Free Member

And 9 times out of 10 said knobber happens to be walking a dog, IME experience anyway.

Most horse riders seem to be very courteous but there are sometimes tensions around speed difference. Generally anyone holding a map is courteous.

EDIT: 1st rule of sharing trails, get in there first with a cheery ‘hello’. It helps to break down tensions and is quite disarming.

rocketman
    Free Member

I used to be a bit arsey with hikers and horse riders when I was younger but I like to think I’ve mellowed a lot.

A MTBr travelling at even a modest speed can look pretty intimidating to some people and I always put myself in their shoes. Slow down enough to make eye contact and say hello or whatever instead of blasting past in a scrabble of rubble

Horse riders get my sympathy vote it can’t be much fun plodding along surrounded by a cloud of flies.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member
    ‘proper’ walkers such as the ones I met last Saturday seem cool as long as you give them room and don’t fly up behind them – occasional walkers tend to be knobbers
    Sweeping generalisation I know but seems to hold true for me

Agree with this. Mainly ride in the lake district and I tend to find that when I’m doing any of the high level routes the walkers are much more easier going because IMO we have a mutual respect of the terrain. “Fair play for getting up here” sort of thing. Some of the lower leval routes that I do ( ullswater singletrack, loughrigg terrace ) there tends to be more of an different type of walker who, to me anyway, seems to be a lot more intolerant to bikers.

awh
    Free Member

You get idiots in all groups. It’s usually easy to quickly spot who it’s going to be. Last week a woman walking her dog said to me as I approached ‘my dog will chase you’. As I’d slowed right down I was able to look her straight in the eye and say ‘That’s really poor you choose to do nothing about it and terrible manners’. She looked rather shocked!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you get good and bad people out regardless of what activity they are doing.

However I think some mtb’ers dont slow down enough when it comes to dogs. Dogs are in a world of their own when out and a biker coming up behind can easily spook them, which in turn rightly upsets the dog owner.

I always slow down for dogs and make sure they can hear me and see me before riding passed.

We all have to share trails and consideration on all parts is whats needed.

Superficial
    Free Member

I find the exact opposite in the peak district. Families and casual walkers are absolutely fine and always say hello even if you’re where you technically shouldn’t be. Whereas in the peak there are loads of militant ramblers.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I tend to find that most people are courteous and polite, regardless of whether they’re on foot, wheels or a horse. When I think about it though, the majority of the time I’ve witnessed negative comments or behaviour either directed at me or at other people, it’s been from other bikers.

I think it’s particularly bad at Cannock at the moment because of the end of Follow the Dog being closed for repairs – a lot of guys come screaming down the fireroad diversion without any consideration for walkers or other riders walking up. Actually had one guy shout at me, “This isn’t the best place to be walking your dog” as he wobbled past, even though I was right on the edge of path, with Benny on a very, very short lead off the side of the path. :/

Still, it’s thankfully very rare.

gingerss
    Free Member

Whereas in the peak there are loads of militant ramblers.

Peaks walkers do have a reputation for being a bit militant.

butcher

99% of the time I find that everyone is just enjoying the countryside, same as yourself, and usually very welcoming. Or they just ignore you.

Had one bloke threaten to knock me out the other week when I politely aired my views on cycling on public footpaths, in response to his vocal aggression. His reasoning was that if I could ‘break the law’, then so could he.

It pains me to say it though, but I can understand why some walkers get upset with experiences of cyclists buzzing past them at speed. It doesn’t take much to slow down, and/or give them a bit of room. As above, it can be quite intimidating for them. Especially if they have dogs – which in my opinion have every much right as yourself to roam. I don’t see any need to grant ‘right of way’ to any particular group. A little common sense and courtesy always ensures everyone has a pleasent day out.

stumpyjon

Dogs are in a world of their own when out and a biker coming up behind can easily spook them, which in turn rightly upsets the dog owner.

Then it’s down to their owner to keep them under control and not harass other trail users whether on foot, on a horse or bike. If this means being on a short lead so be it.

jwmlee
    Free Member

1st rule of sharing trails, get in there first with a cheery ‘hello’. It helps to break down tensions and is quite disarming.

Absolutely agree.

Find most people are very considerate and polite. I try to do the same.

Asked a dog walker to pick up their poo today. Gave her a plastic bag and explained that it’s pretty horrible getting it in your tyres and then all over you. She didn’t look too pleased but did pick up the crap.

kennyp
    Free Member

The vast bulk are very friendly as long as you’re not the sort of “get out my way while I ride like a tool” sort of mountain biker. Certainly up in the Highlands there’s a shared “well we’re all enjoying the hills” commonality.

Plus, many of the mountain bikers I know are also keen hillwalkers.

highclimber
    Free Member

She didn’t look too pleased but did pick up the crap.

And probably left it attached to the barbwire fence for all to see!

robsoctane
    Free Member

Quite lovely to hear all of these views, not what I was expecting TBH. It’s made my evening, kind of…

andyruss
    Free Member

No tresspass laws in scotland so 99.9% of people get on,ramblers on the other hand! !!!!!!!!!!!! Had some shout at us for going down a bike decent that they had decided to walk up,clearly our fault and they would be reportig us to the FC,but heyho its all good

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I live and ride in Scotland and haven’t had any falling outs yet. I give way to others where I can but usually the walkers just stand aside and laugh at these nutters on bikes. Other path users are actually more tolerant than I thought they would be so I think it’s worth being friendly and thanking them if they move.

zippykona

Horses will happily watch you belt down a track while they are in a field and if you stop they like a fuss. Put a person on their back and they turn into the scaredest thing ever.
    I was mending a puncture on a country lane when a horse and rider came around the corner. It went absolutely mental.
    So any horses and riders are approached with the utmost caution.
    I like dogs so normally stop for a fuss. Their owners like that. Sometimes a dog will chase after me but only in the same way they chase a ball. Again i stop and say hello.Some people would have that down as a killer dog attack, its just a matter of perspective.
    I like to think I’m an amiable person and I don’t let a persons use of the countryside prejudice me against them.

Crell
    Free Member

Only ever had a problem with (2) horse riders in over 20 years. One who felt they owned the (very wide) trail and couldn’t understand why someone would want to pass, the other (last weekend funnily enough) was just ignorant and rude.

yunki
    Free Member

very nearly always get positive reactions in the national park where I mostly ride.. (and also in the world heritage site where I used to mainly ride)

I’m very courteous and polite and slow down in much the same way as I would be courteous and polite on foot..
    I sometimes wonder if there are more dickhead MTB riders than we imagine though, as my courtesy is met with pleasant surprise more often than I would expect..

marcusmtb
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – Member
    I tend to find that most people are courteous and polite, regardless of whether they’re on foot, wheels or a horse. When I think about it though, the majority of the time I’ve witnessed negative comments or behaviour either directed at me or at other people, it’s been from other bikers.

I think it’s particularly bad at Cannock at the moment because of the end of Follow the Dog being closed for repairs – a lot of guys come screaming down the fireroad diversion without any consideration for walkers or other riders walking up. Actually had one guy shout at me, “This isn’t the best place to be walking your dog” as he wobbled past, even though I was right on the edge of path, with Benny on a very, very short lead off the side of the path. :/

Still, it’s thankfully very rare.

You’re the famous Mrs Toast though, Queen of Cannock MTB.

You ought to start shouting back at them ‘Do you know who I am?’ 🙂

Seriously though, surprised but not surprised, some of the attitudes of fellow bikers can be embarrassing.

I know a guy who walks his small dog over Sherbrook Valley, he never goes near the MTB trail centre, and his dog is so friendly that she actually heads you off at the pass, in an effort to get your attention in the hope you will make a fuss, the first time she did it to me I couldn’t help but laugh. The owner explains she doesn’t like to let bikes pass without a quick fuss.

Of course, the serious faced bikers have no time for anything like this, so the owner has experienced many incidents where they riders shout at him, tell him they’ll run the dog over next time, he informs me it’s usually groups or riders that get agitated the most.

There goes the harmony.

project
    Free Member

Ive got a fear of horses after seeing one attack my labrador when i was a kid, and seen how they react to some bikers, its either the coliur of your top, or sunglasses they dont like, stat well clear of them.

As for rambelerists, in a group they do seem to want to control everyone approaching,not moving out of the way, or not saying hello, or thankyou when you stop to let them past.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I make a big effort to be polite and considerate.

I always stop for horses or ride past very slowly, always find that’s very well received. Most dog walkers (and we are dog owners too) make sure there dog is out of the way of the track when we ride by, if the dog is a little happy it’s normally the dog walker who is embarrassed.

martinhutch

I always slow right down for horses, or stop if they look agitated.

If someone pulls their dog to the side to let me through, I always try to smile and say thanks.

It is normally the groups of ramblers who are the most problematic. Although it was fun the other day sharing the bridleway with a busy fell race. Many of them were looking at no more than the square foot of track in front of their feet, poor buggers. I felt a little guilty having to yell ‘bike!’ to avoid collisions every 30 yards or so…

jwmlee
    Free Member

Yes, when horses approach I always slow down and check with the riders to see if they are ok with bikes.

Ramblers in groups can get a little domineering. Suspect it’s that time in life 🙂

D0NK

Further from civilisation you are the more chilled out walkers tend to be, middle of nowhere even outrageously cheeky trails you’ll get a cheery hello from most walkers. legit honeypot areas you’ll be treated like scum.

Horses are mental and quite scary, give a wide berth and treat with kids gloves.

IHN

Just be nice, it’s that simple. If you’re approaching some walkers, slow down, say hello, say thank you if they move over, be nice. If you’re approaching a horse, say hello, slow down, in fact stop to let them past or stop to let them pull the horse over if you’re passing them. If the horse is jittery, wait for it to calm down. Be nice. If they have a dog, go past it slowly, say hello to it, thank the owners if they hold onto it. Be nice.

Just be nice. If whoever you meet isn’t, it’s their problem.

honourablegeorge

jwmlee – Member

On the whole, people are pretty polite and I try to do my best to build good relations with others people by saying ‘hi’, ‘thanks’ and ‘lovely day for it’ etc.

I’d say 95% of people, regardless of their chosen activity, are of the same mind.

It’s the small number of walkers who think the countryside is exclusively theirs for walking on, the dog owners who can’t control their dogs, the mountain bikes who haven’t the manners or common sense to slow down when they encounter others, the nimby landowners who managed to convince themselves that they’re inconvenienced by people simply passing by, etc, etc.

Maybe some day scientists will isolate the genes for common sense and not being an asshole. .

Oh – a +1 for the guy who said that the further out in the country you go, the less hassle you get – the walkers who tend to cause most fuss are city types who only venture out on a sunny weekend.

chipps

I have a theory that the greatest number of weekend-walkers, encounter the greatest number of inexperienced, car-park warrior mountain bikers within 200 yards of the carpark/trailhead. The further away from civilisation you get, the experience and courtesy on all sides improves dramatically. I don’t think I’ve ever met a grumpy walker on top of a big hill. There just seems to be a shared mutual respect and a sense of ‘How on earth did they get up here like that?’

muddyground
    Free Member

Tend to find that the reaction from none cycling trail users depends on what bike I’m on, my clothing and whether out alone or in a group, and sometimes even the time of day. In a group then always expect negative comments from quite a few people. If I’m all dressed up as a mountain biker and on my soft-core PACE, even out as Billy No Mates, the comments back or looks are generally negative. However go out on my Tassajara – i.e. something that looks like an old man’s bike, a proper bicycle – and the comments switch to generally positive, even if I’m way off base on a “creative” trail choice or hacking down off some big hill slightly out of control.

Whatever the reaction I’m always polite; you never know who these people are within the local community for a start.

rkk01
    Free Member

Stop or slow down around horses, they do seem to get unduly nervous around mtbs

A colleague rides and has had some scary moments due to mtbers – I asked why horses were so uneasy. Seeems mostly due to speed and lack of noise from the bike. Horses find it difficult to judge the approach of a bike.

So stop, get off or just be generally very courteous.

For many horses – Have you considered that perhaps they arent skittery – apart for the fact that you are there…?

The horse my colleague ride is skittery – they race, so what. We tend to ride skittery bikes for racing…. why ride a race mtb on an ordinary trail??? Its all about getting the miles in

muddyground
    Free Member

Also if you switch things around you can fully understand the grumps. If I’m out with my 6 year old, then every bike is a threat to him so I’m on the back foot right from the off. I guess it’d be the same if I was 6ft up on an animal with a brain the size of a pea. However, people with dogs on 60ft bits of string……. sorry I fail to see the appeal.

In any case to avoid such poor encounters all you have to do is move 200m away from the car park or popular cafe. Grumps tend to disappear outside this zone and people get more country aware.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biker relations with walkers, horses, dogs etc’ is closed to new replies.