Mountain Bike Too Small?

Home Forum Bike Forum Mountain Bike Too Small?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mountain Bike Too Small?
  • Hello

I have recently bought a 2011 Specialized Camber comp I bought a small sized from but now im thinking the frame is too small. I am 5″6 officialy the spec sizes say i can use small or medium.

The problem is when im hittng the uphills I like to put my seat as high as possible so its almost as high as when im standing on the pedals.

On my old Marin this worked ok but on this new bike I find im having to stand up too much as the seat best is too low even at his highest.

Does it sound like the frame is too small to you guys?
    I cant take the bike back now but am abit disappointing the shop didnt say anthing.

Cheers
    Paul

hugor

Hard to tell from what you’ve written but it does sound like you have your saddle abnormally high.
    If I stand and pedal I am well above my saddle.
    It must be hard to descend with your saddle as high as you have it.

smell_it

Well you are right on the cusp between small/ medium, so I guess it depends on your proportions really. If you got it from a shop did you not give it a test ride for sizing? On paper it should fit you, so I’m not sure it’s the shops fault, but I would have hoped either they or you would have thought ‘lets sling a leg over this?’. Since you are stuck with it, why not try a 400mm seatpost?

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

You ride weird.

Anyway, can’t you just buy a longer seatpost?

brant

Pics or video please.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Err, say what now?

If according to them you’re the right size for either it comes down to personal preference. People of the same height are proportioned differently, and even with the same proportions some people would prefer to me more stretched out on a bike than others.

I’d say frame size comes more down to the length of the frame rather than where you want your post.

Do you know anyone with a medium you could try? (or ask the shop?)

And got a picture of you riding it?

TooTall

When you sit on the saddle and it is at the height where your leg is straight with your heel on the pedal, is it beyond the min insertion point on the seat post?

If you have it any higher, you’re doing it wrong.

wildrnes

Which Marin did you have?

bol

Longer seatpost, maybe a little layback and a slightly longer stem are all options to stop a bike feeling too small without needing to change the frame. Although if you’re putting the saddle up so high that you’re stretching with every stroke you probably need to adjust your riding style to avoid hurting yourself and to be more efficient.

druidh

slinkydonkey – Member
    The problem is when im hittng the uphills I like to put my seat as high as possible so its almost as high as when im standing on the pedals.

That’s just weird and no bike manufacturer would design a bike to take that into account. Go for a larger frame and you’ll likely find that it’s too long for you. I’d investigate the use of a longer seatpost – you might find you also need an adjustable(dropper) post if there’s too much variation between your “up” position and a comfortable descending position.

stumpy01

I’m 5’6 and ride a medium 2010 Stumpjumper FSR. I didn’t get the chance to ride a small, but the medium seems about right in everything but standover height being a bit tight.
    I occasionally wonder if the small would have been better, but think it would have been a bit cramped.

If it all feels ok apart from the saddle height, just get a longer post – I think it comes with a 350mm post.

tony24

Just get a 400mm seatpost

nmdbase

Sounds like you have your saddle too high to me

flow

Rider Height Suggested Frame Size
    Feet and Inches Centimetres Inches Size
    4′ 10″ – 5′ 2″ 148 – 158 13 – 14 XS
    5′ 2″ – 5 ‘6″ 158 – 168 15 – 16 S
    5′ 6″ – 5′ 10″ 168 – 178 17 – 18 M
    5′ 10″ – 6′ 1″ 178 – 185 19+ L
    6′ 1″ – 6′ 4″ 185 – 193 21 – 22 XL
    6 ‘4″ – 6’ 6″ 193 – 198 23 – 24 XXL

You are in between a small and medium

Definitely sounds like you have your seat way too high.

Without being too technical, your leg should be fully extended with your heel on the pedal, and the cranks at 12-6 position, this will give roughly the correct saddle height.

You can fine tune if from there.

Google bike fitting or something along those lines.

Tim

At your height you should def be on a small.

I’m about that height, maybe an inch taller, and I wouldn’t be on a medium.

The camber has a bent seat tube, so the post length will be limited somewhat, but I still can’t imagine you cant get it high enough.

Have you got a picture of the bike with your saddle position?

Dropper post or a titec telescopic post may help in this case

stock pic of a camber for reference:

hugor

Without being too technical, your leg should be fully extended with your heel on the pedal, and the cranks at 12-6 position, this will give roughly the correct saddle height.

It sounds like he’s using the 12 O’Clock pedal to determine his saddle height! Try using the 6 O’ Clock pedal!

flow

I said fully extended at the 12-6 position.

If one leg is fully extended at 12, its pretty obvious the other leg won’t be on the pedal.

GW

I’m 5’11 (33″ inside leg) and can manage full leg extension (pedalling) on 14″ (C-T) frames with a 410mm seatpost.

if you are really having problems with seatpost extension I’d rather see pics of your freakishly proportioned body than your bike set-up.

Hi guys thanks for the updates ill consider a longer post. Ill have to try all your suggestions latter on in the week ive got so much to do right now ill post back with results

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Too Small?’ is closed to new replies.