• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mountain bike on bike to work scheme for really big lad.
  • Spin
    Free Member

A colleague of mine is looking for a new mountain bike on the BtW scheme (£1000 limit). He’s asked for my opinion but I’m a bit out of touch and I’m not sure how his size might affect things. He’s 6’8″ and 20ish stone. He’s done a bit of biking, wants to do more and ability wise I think he’d find trail centre red quite challenging.

He’s currently looking at either a Trek Superfly 5 or an X-Caliber 9.

What are folks thoughts?

Thanks

CheesybeanZ

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p5701/CANNONDALE-TRAIL-SL-29-1-2015

Xl in stock , spend the rest on bigger winter tyres .

Spin
    Free Member

Anyone offer any comment on the 2 options?

TooTall
    Free Member

If he’s 20-ish stone, he’ll need to spend a lot more than a grand to get a bike that will stand up to enthusiastic trail centre riding. Both the Trek bikes are XC and therefore lighter build etc and not where I’d put him if that was what he wanted to ride.
    Have a look at the MTBR forums – there’s a Clydes forum there with a lot of big lad bike knowledge.

velomanic
    Free Member

Whyte 629 in XL (£999)?

warns74
    Free Member

Bit hard to say for sure, but it’s highly possible that XL’s will be too small so would maybe look at brands that offer XXL?

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Treks go up to 23″, which might well do, but the components will likely not be tough enough for a 20 stone chap doing regular hard off road. However for trail centre red stuff it might well be fine provided he appreciates it’ll be a “getting into the sport” bike not a keeper.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike on bike to work scheme for really big lad.’ is closed to new replies.