• This topic has 44 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Mountain bike Dragons Den
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

In the spirit of the innovation thread…

What would you take into the dragons den relating to mountain biking?

and who would be on the panel?

kayak23

30.5″ wheels.
    Rob Roskopp, Steve Peat, Peter Jones, Beyonce

Steve77
    Free Member

Electrically controlled dropper seatpost. It makes more sense to get rid of the cable from a dropper post than gears because so many of them are retrofits, and also for some of the designs you have to deal with a changing distance that the cable has to cover

alex222
    Free Member

a gun.

to kill the dragons and then steal their cash piles – get it.

Dickyboy

Mind controlled, fully enclosed infinitely variable gears.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

beyonce? perv. lol

jekkyl

31″ wheel mountain bikes.

pjm84
    Free Member

Self cleaning MTB

shermer75
    Free Member

29.5″ wheels

stevied
    Free Member

A terrain-adaptive tyre. That would end all the bloody ‘what tyre for…’ threads 😉

uwe-r
    Free Member

I posted this a while ago.

Call me stupid but…

If the idea of tubeless is to remove the weight / feel of the inner tube and prevent / minimise punctures but the downside is the faff, why not, have a very thin latex tube, with a profile similar to a tyre and pre filled with some sealant (think condom like tube complete with spaff).

The pre filled Johnny tube (as it will now be called) would have a regular valve and set up would be very simple. Inflating would fill and pressurise the void in the tyre / rim without the need for all the faff and paraphernalia of tubeless and without (i assume) the weight and feel of a standard tube. Punctures if they rip both tyre and tube could still be sealed by the spaff.

(steps back and awaits ridicule)

cookeaa

Nice Try but I’m not giving away my genius ideas on the interweb to you lot!

bratty

Wooden tyres shod with a iron hoop – no more punctures and would appeal to the retro rider.

franksinatra

belt drive, bottom bracket hub geared bike

honourablegeorge

stevied – Member
    A terrain-adaptive tyre. That would end all the bloody ‘what tyre for…’ threads

http://dirt.mpora.com/featured/fresh-produce-adaptrac.html

Trimix
    Free Member

uwe-r, you are stupid 🙂

You have invented a tyre and inner tube with slime in the inner tube.

I remember filling my latex lightweigh tubes with slime from my offroad motorcycle back in the late 80’s.

Still did end up with a puncuture eventually and found you couldnt patch the tube.

jekkyl

36″ wheels

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i run slime in a regular inner tube. haven’t got round to tubelessing the rim, ‘ghetto’ or otherwise.
    haven’t had a punture (or one that didn’t fix itself)in 2 or 3 years : )

rickmeister

Kylie, Jess Ennis, Madonna, Beyonce and a pot of vaseline

A properly designed tool to push back brake pistons. No more screwdriver/tyrelever lash ups.

uwe-r
    Free Member

You sick sick man

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Action Romper – all in one man sized gortex jump suit that connected to waterproof boots to keep you warm and dry in the winter.

johnny

Helium filled frames and tyres for even radder ‘air’. Optional bite valve for post-ride comedy voices.

Danny Mac, Grayson Perry, Rob Warner, Niki Gudex. 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My own:

shoes with different tread for different conditions, swappable, spikey for deep mud like we have mostly now and less agressive for the summer.

cleats that can easily be removed, with internal locking mechanism that doesnt need a vice / copious amounts of oil / long leverage just to shift the rusty allen nut, grrrrrr.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

shermer75 – Member
    29.5″ wheels

jekkyl – Member
    36″ wheels

More wheel size suggestions please! Don’t be put off by that fact that you were beaten to the punch by kayak23 in post 2 – the ‘joke’ is so hilarious that it can bear umpteen variations on the theme before it gets old…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

an airbag body suit for those unexpected moments AKA crashes

nicole scherzinger / john castellano / carla from corrie / jon whyte

cheese@4p

Bike sails

The late Don Whillans, Harry Hill, John Lydon, Shaun Palmer

kayak23

I’ve said this before but apparently nobody picked up on the sheer genius of it.

5:10 pedals…

The pedal itself is covered with stealth rubber in a slab (No more pedals full of mud) and your shoes have the pedal pins in them.
    No more pedal rash!

I know….utter genius.
    8)

alexpalacefan

5:10 pedals, now that does seem like a good idea 🙂

So, brainiacs, why won’t it work?

APF

klumpy
    Free Member

To keep with the typical calibre of a DD contestant – A mountain bike with a motor. It’d be amazing, you could go uphill as fast as down! It’s called a motor-mountain-bike! Then when they tell me these already exist I’d get all sweaty and stroppy and say they’re not the same, then make up a desperate innovation on the spot like having 23 wheels and a microwave.

kayak23

So, brainiacs, why won’t it work?

I guess your mum might go a bit mental if you got your pinned shoes near her parquet…

matther01
    Free Member

Frame/component coating made from ‘graphene’. 200 times stronger than steel,as light and thin as silicone and doesn’t degrade and is impervious to scratches. Could be extremely cheap too.

A 0.1mm covering would make your frame/components ‘literally’ bombproof… but also highly conductive if hit by lightning!

Manchester Uni just got a £32m grant to develop the stuff further.

I win!

jekkyl

37″ wheels.

LoCo
    Free Member

Tapered fork axle one side 20mm (caliper side) other 15mm, 😈

Single sided rigid forks, single sided hardtail frames,
    Carbotianium frames

asterix
    Free Member

25″ wheels

jekkyl

don’t be silly 25″ wheels would never work.
    I’m ooot.

shermer75
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    shermer75 – Member
    29.5″ wheels

jekkyl – Member
    36″ wheels

More wheel size suggestions please! Don’t be put off by that fact that you were beaten to the punch by kayak23 in post 2 – the ‘joke’ is so hilarious that it can bear umpteen variations on the theme before it gets old…

It’s the repetition that makes it funny. You, on the other hand, come across like a grumpy tit.

http://mrsimontaylor.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/the-psychology-of-comedy-rule-of-threes/

ndthornton
    Free Member

Unobtanium frame with kryptonite dropouts

ndthornton
    Free Member

…..and 1″ wheels

asterix
    Free Member

maybe we could have incremental clip on wheel size increasing rings!

with the appropriate dropout extender widgits:-)

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

You, on the other hand, come across like a grumpy tit.

If I’m grumpy, it’s because of the poor quality of posts on this thread. Buck your ideas up, Mr.

660mm wheels

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike Dragons Den’ is closed to new replies.