Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • moulton bikes what are they like to ride?
  • racefaceec90

https://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/index.html

this stems from my friend texting me saying he had a go on a 22 speed moulton whilst meeting up with a friend he hadn’t seen for ages who actually works at the moulton plant and let him have a go on his bike.

as i live in devizes (not far from bradford on avon where the factory is, have always been interested in them but alas lack of funds to buy one/never tried one was just wondering what they are like to ride?

they have made some very interesting models over the years inc a great looking full sus mtb back in 1988 along with other great models.

i really like the design of them i have to admit also.

i know that sir alex moulton believed in small wheels for speed and stability for one thing and the fact they have full suspension also is definitely ahead of its time too.

so anyone else like moulton bikes? (or even own one)

if i ever did have the cash i must admit i would seriously consider buying one for sure.

Watty

Not personally, but a mate had a couple of the drop bar Moultons (one of which had a fairing!) and we did London to Brighton together a few times. AM’s idea – I believe, was low weight, small wheels, very high tyre pressures and suspension. They were fast, so fast in fact that the UCI(?) banned them from competition. They also made an off-road version back in the 80s I seem to remember, with slightly bigger wheels.

b33k34

Another bike I’ve still got an urge to own but I can’t quite work out the model range and what justifies the huge jumps in price.

The TSR can be had for under £2k, but even a painted (non stainless) NS (New series) is over £9k.

I’ve seen someone on a beautiful rohloff equipped one locally, but looks like the suspension precludes a front disc brake so you end up with the weird combo of front rim brake and rear disc brake.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Factor in the need to buy clothes which make you look like a geography teacher to ride in… all adds up.

jameso

They’re great bikes. The small wheel plus suspension system just works. I think people own them out of a love of the concept, the engineering etc as well as the ride and it’s a stretch to say they’re better than a regular bike, but they are lovely bikes all in all. I’d have one if I had a larger garage. Would be my ideal town errands and pottering around bike and the fact they can be dismantled for travel really appeals. They have a far better ride quality than my Brompton although it’s not an option for regular folding.

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate has one and loves it so much he just ordered another one on C2W. He finds it comfortable presumably because it has ‘full suspension’. There must be something idiosyncratic about them because he’s prepared to admit but forgive the following downsides:

– limited choice of tyres and wheels in 20″
    – It weighs a lot (27lbs IIRC)
    – It’s slow on climbs
    – It needs a big gear range and he struggles to fit a big enough chainring to get it up to speed
    – Needs some oddball parts to get the riding position right, like a 150mm 45 degree stem on his
    – His has rust

I’ve ridden it, and the suspension was pretty bouncy which I didn’t like, but otherwise it was fairly neutral really. I’d rather have 30c tubeless tyres than a a bit of bouncy elastomer suspension personally. The only reason I’d consider one is if I were really rich and still travelling for work, as they can be dismantled nicely.

renoir shore
    Free Member

In its day, the Moulton bicycle was a world beater. That day was over half a century ago.

The concept is timeless, however. To the point where I think a modern-day, carbon F-frame road bike would really be something to behold. Similarly, a Pinion gearboxed Safari would be a very special bicycle indeed.

If they had been in a position to keep step with the rest of the industry, the Moulton would still be world beating. Unfortunately time hasn’t been kind. Patent issues, marketing missteps, UCI regs, and other issues mean a company founded on innovation now trades on tradition.

So I think the Moulton company we have today is a shadow of what it could be. And that makes me sad. But then, they sell all the bikes they can make. Mine, a 2010 ish model, is one of my absolute favourite belongings. So they’re doing something right.

To answer the question in the thread title, they are an utter joy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not spent that much time on them, never saw the point.

timber

Back end kept snapping off, but that was probably due to the strimmer engine we’d fitted to the rear rack to power it 😄

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.