Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Motorola Moto G – worth a punt?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    butcher – Member
    Anyone have any opinions/experience of the new Moto E? According to glowing reviews it’s a game changer in the world of budget smart phones. A step down from the Moto G, but given it’s a fraction of the cost, I was thinking of getting one.
    very low res screen would completely rule it out for me

256ppi (vs 326 for Mo to G) is “very low res”?

For £79?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks ninfan, will check that out. 🙂

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Another vote for that TESCO deal – £12.50/month and free phone.
    My wife has one and I think it’s great.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

BIzarre. Last night I was looking at a sim free moto e on Tesco for £89.

I can’t find it today!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there a chance the PAYG phone would be unlocked?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh well I ordered both and will report back

cinnamon_girl

And another question …

ninfan – is the Trident Aegis robust enough for taking off road or should I cover the screen with bubblewrap?

ninfan
    Free Member

mine came with a thin stick on screen protector, prevent scratches etc, but the ‘bezel’ around the screen seems to protect it really well from normal dropping

cinnamon_girl

OK, thanks. 8)

bearnecessities

Camera no longer an issue, I’ve just dropped mine and turned into a mosaic of glass splinters.

Quick google suggests glass replacement is a ball ache and it’s getting a bit laggy/weird anyhow.

Any reccomendations for similar budget jobbies currently doing the rounds?

miketually
    Free Member

As this thread has been resurrected, anyone got experience of the new MotoG 4G? I’m considering it as a replacement for my aging Galaxy Nexus, but the 1GB of RAM, which is what I have already, is putting me off.

pondo

Mrs Pondo has just had a Moto G 4G and loves it, although that carries the caveat that neither of us know rock-all about phones – it’s just a milion times quicker than her old Galaxy Fame and does everything she needs. Moto G 4G has a memory card slot, Moto G doesn’t, I think.

danbarker

Just got a Gen 2 Moto G 4G direct from Motorola. Not the fastest phone in the world but does for what I require. 8GB memory is a bit small but just added a 32GB SD card so plenty of room for the music.

Only had it a week but first impressions are good for the price.

vondally
    Free Member

I like my 4g one bought with Tesco vouchers doubled up so about this 70 pounds unlocked £10 per month with 3 work wise still on blackberry which I like the key pad more, but as above I know nowt about the tech stuff….it works well and I understand it…

bigjim

kind of been waiting for the new 4g but bit of a mixed review here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3605165/new-moto-g-4g-2015-review/

ElShalimo

miketually:
    I was waiting for the 2nd gen 4G to be released but then got so distracted by the Archos 50 Diamond that I ordered one.
    It’s £10 more and has a much, much better spec inc 2GB RAM. Runs almost stock last version of Android too

GSMarena website is great for comparing phone specs

bearnecessities

Ok, thanks.

Moto E seems a screaming bargain, no?

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped my original 16gb Moto G for a Z3 Compact. The Z3 is lightning fast compared to the Moto, but it should be at around twice the price. The Moto G was a good buy and was never glitchy and seemed pretty well made. I’d have no qualms recommending one.

What I would say is don’t buy an 8GB version unless it has an SD card slot.

The flip side of them being such good value new (and so popular) is that they’re worth virtually nothing on Mazuma etc. if you want to trade them in. I’m considering just leaving mine in the car with a PAYG SIM as an emergency phone (unless anyone here wants to buy it? 😉 )

CraigW
    Free Member

Moto E seems a screaming bargain, no?

Yes, its a decent phone for the price. Compared to the Moto G, it is a pretty low-res screen. And not much memory, but you can add a MicroSD card.
    The camera is rather poor (worse than the Moto G). And no LED flash, which is annoying if you want to use it as a torch. And no compass if you care about that.
    Still, a bargain for a basic Android phone.

rsl1
    Free Member

Has anyone found a good (preferably free) replacement camera app? I find the colours are very washed out especially if you use the click to focus setting as it sets the exposure (badly) on where you click also.

The screen works well in the rain – water beads up on it like a raincoat, was a pleasant surprise for me

miketually
    Free Member
    bearnecessities

Thanks Craig, I hadn’t realised that. Might try to get mine fixed then.

ElShalimo

I’ll let you know soon, it should be in a FedEx van today
    I found a full review yesterday (in French) but it says it’s the best mid-range phone out there but with some very minor issues
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/archos-50-diamond-p22083/test.html

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Motorola Moto G – worth a punt?’ is closed to new replies.