Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Motoring – Stop/Start – modern toss or not?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

That Mazda istop tech is stunning. Proper out of the box thinking.

Their Skyactive tech is very impressive.

pondo

And in my case my concern is not me not making the gap in the traffic I wanted to accelerate into, its the person behind me thinking i’m about to go, who is looking right and is not expecting me to hesitate at the junction and rear ends me and shunts me out into the junctions. It happens every single day at roundabouts and junctions – one of the most common types of crashes.

That’s unrelated to start/stop, to be fair.

Sandwich

Can’t go wrong with coil, dizzy and points!

You can if the previous owner installed the wrong cap and leads as on the A prefix reg Polo we had back in the 90’s. That had an early version of stop start on it that was working well after 10 years (after we fixed the ignition system).

molgrips
    Free Member

Hybrid FTW. You can creep and run aircon and pull away all with the engine off.

tenfoot

Mine is on all of the time. I will keep the engine running however, if it’s still cold just to keep the oil running around the engine until it’s up to temperature.

Flaperon

Mine is on all of the time. I will keep the engine running however, if it’s still cold just to keep the oil running around the engine until it’s up to temperature.

It’s completely un-intrusive in my Volvo V60, and I’ve never felt the need to inhibit it. If the start-stop cuts in, the computer has judged that it’s warm enough and appropriate to do it.

thepurist

That Mazda istop tech is stunning. Proper out of the box thinking.

Their Skyactive tech is very impressive.

Except the start/stop system isn’t linked in any way to the climate control, so it stops for about 10s before the climate control demands hotter or cooler air then the engine starts up again.  Drove me mad when I had a CX-5 as it wouldn’t keep stopped in many conditions.  That and the diesel/oil contamination thing and consequent frequent oil changes meant I couldn’t wait to see the back of the car.  Current VAG system seems much more joined up (eg. air con seems to ease off when the engine’s stopped).

richmars

Mine cuts out free wheeling in neutral, seems the power steering is electric. (Test carried out not on a public highway!)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The chances are older starters will fail from general age (corroding to bits etc.) rather than over-use. They are designed and tested for this use after all!

Exactly. The battery in our old (low mileage) non stop-start car failed at about 9 years old.

What no-one has mentioned is how nice it is to sit in complete silence (except for music) at the lights, even the smoothest, quietest car has some noise and vibration. Stop start takes that away.

The auto restart after stalling confused the hell out of me on a hire car but that’s also cool.

All the evidence I’ve found is that it reduces consumption, reduces emissions, makes the air more pleasant for pedestrians around junctions and that the car tech has been developed to deal with the wear and tear.

scuttler

@OP how do you reckon you’d get on with this? I think it’d suit you perfectly once you’d had the car fixed after crashing it due to driver distraction.

finishthat
    Free Member

Our Nissan gives you an eco score based on your driving at the end of each trip , when the stop/start is in stop it displays the cumulative kg of C02 saved .
    Somebody will be all Ann Widdecombe about this saying they don`t need the info and its enslaving them , but frankly I hope their anguish gives them a heart attack.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Motoring – Stop/Start – modern toss or not?’ is closed to new replies.