Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Motorcyclists
  • matt_outandabout

Suggest me a bike to commute 6-7 miles of rough public road and 1 mile of rough track/badly maintained/not really tarmac road….

Under 250cc/25kw and cheap (second hand), reliable…

And whats a CBT like for a non biker to pass first time?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Honda CG125. Cheap, tough as old boots, easy to find and easy to sell. Not the most fashionable of bikes, but then they do the job better than anything else.

alwyn
    Free Member

CBT, can you go along with out the bike falling over?

Yes,

Well done, you’ve passed.

Jimbo
    Free Member

CBT:
    Classroom stuff: road positioning, basic laws, protection etc, etc.
    Outdoor, closed road: shown around the bike (controls etc), moving the bike around (walking), placing on/taking off stands, clutch/gearbox stuff, basic manouvering (fig. 8, turning etc), emergency stops, observation exercises (lifesavers etc).
    Outdoor, open road: radio link to CBT instructor, put into practice everything covered.
    If deemed satisfactory, you’re issued with a CBT certificate (DL196). If deemed unsatisfactory, you’re asked to come back for another go (sometimes FOC, depends upon the school). Note there is no “test” as such, just showing you can do everything you’ve been taught.

It’s not “hard”. It seems like there’s a lot to take in, but it’s not that bad. Just listen to what they say, use your head and enjoy yourself. Do that and you’ll be fine.

Spongebob
    Free Member

CBT is very difficult to fail. Think of it as a filter for no hopers for whom it is kinder to be protected from the incredibly high risks of motorcycling on a small bike on the public highway (or any bike for that matter).

CG125’s may be cheap, but they are very uncomfortable, even for a few miles and are underpowered. The Honda Varradero 125cc is significantly more powerful and looks more like a 250cc (or bigger). It’s design fits into a category that is described as “adventure tourer”. It isn’t big enough or powerful enough for touring, but essentially this category of machine is a cross betweeen a tourer and a trials bike. I therefore expect it would fair well on rough tracks, but the user may need to adapt the tyres when due for replacement.
    These bikes aren’t cheap compared to the CG125, but when you see them both you will understand why. One has a fairing, cast wheels – a modern design. The other looks like a “sit up and beg”, “cheap as chips” training school machine – which is what it is. Varradero’s are great value and hold their money well because they are cheap to tax, insure and maintain, but have adequate power for short commutes and you won’t look like a numpty riding one!

Happy hunting!

redthunder
    Free Member

CG125 as said before.

druidh
    Free Member

My first bike was a (1st Gen) CG125. Took me on camping trips all round the Scottish Highlands with tent etc. Top speed was about 60mph (faster if you were willing to draft lorries), but I got around 130mpg….

I had to get rid of it when I kept grounding the wee stickie-oot bit of the stand. By then I’d “got the bug”.

alwyn
    Free Member

Aprillia 2 stroke.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Yamaha Serow 225 – brilliant bike!

Anthony
    Free Member

What’s wrong with pedal power?

gizmo
    Free Member

I was thinking that.

juan
    Free Member

well unless you can’t change or get a shower for that distance I’ll go on a push bike.
    If you really want a petrol powered one, I’ll try to get an old DT125…

Choose the colour wisely, you’ll keep the bike for a long long time

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nth’d the CG125

mine survived a ful year of the throttle being pinned open trying to keep up with biger bikes.

Quite easy to tune for a few more (badly needed) bhp if your that way inclined. Big drill bit through the exhaust baffle, air filter/box mods are quite common, higher quality sparkplugs etc.

Hairychested
    Free Member

CG125 again!
    Varradero 125 is based on the same engine as CG125 but with a bigger chasis (and better looks).

I rode 100cc 2-strokes first, Yamaha RXS100 and Suzuki GP100, lightweight, instant acceleration, brakes worse than on my MTB though. 70mph down Picadilly was possible as long as we were drinking in a pub and telling stories, otherwise more like 60mph on A40 (on the bit with 70mph limit, you know).
    I also rode a 125cc 4-stroke Suzuki chopper and it was awful. A regular bike will be ok. My local garage (Blackdog Motorcycles in Staines) have a 2nd-hand 125cc Suzuki, approx. 3yo, for £800. Will last you for years.

smokey_jo

MZ ETZ 250 Quite a lot of suspension travel up front, tough as old boots – designed for far eastern road conditions. Nice and torquey for a 2-stroke as well and will do well on fuel. Get one with a disc brake.
    People give them away and spares are cheap.

smokey_jo

Sorry meant eastern european roads of course

Spongebob
    Free Member

I rode a CG125 when I did my DAS. The instructor must have got bored because he asked us to go up to maximum speed on a dual carriageway. Being bored with the stupid thing and enduring the most extraodinary pain in the backside from it’s spindly little seat, I ragged the backside off it. I managed 70mph no problem (and i’m 6ft 3″ and not a slight build). The instructor was amazed that I managed to get so much out of it on the flat and with no tail wind – it was really funny looking at his expression of dismay. I just wanted to get back to the centre so i could have a sit down!

Yeah, use pedal power, no road tax, etc etc. Will keep you fit too. The problem with push biking to work is that so many firms don’t have secure storage and/or showering facilities.

xtcenduro
    Free Member

You can only ride up to a 125cc on a CBT licence, bear that it mind as it looks like you have over look it.

conkerman
    Free Member

CG125, YBR125 are both good little bikes.

The DT is a hoot, but being a stroker is likely to expire regularly.

Not convinced about the varadero, It’ll cost a bomb to fix when you drop it (we have all done it!)

smokey_jo

Direct access makes more sense and will be cheaper in the long run if you’re over 21.

xtcenduro
    Free Member

If he only wants a 125 then Direct access is pointless, why pay £500 versus £90?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Because he’ll be safer on the road?

smokey_jo

You never just want a 125………

xtcenduro
    Free Member

How does he know if he is going to like it or not?

Some people purely commute on small bikes so what would the point of DAS if he is never going to upgrade to a bigger machine? I know he hasnt said.

Why would he be safer on the road aswell?

conkerman
    Free Member

I second doing CBT first an getting a bit of road time.

Also, this is really, really important. Learn how to steer a motorcycle properly. Look up countersteering, it is a scandal that it is not taught as standard. 👿

Bikes are great and if you like it, you will absolutely positively want a bigger bike 🙂 I would recommend a Decent twin for starters after DAS.

Conks
    (ZX-9R rider)

matt_outandabout

Cheers all

Pedal power – I will certainly mix this in, especially in the summer. But its Loch Tay, the distance and climbs (centre is 250m climb from the road), the road undulates over 400m as well – so a 7 mile, 650m climb is doable – but it would be tough. It is also a physical job (outdoor instructor) and it would be pretty hardcore to do it all year round – 1-1.5hr+ pedal in the dark every morning and evening in the pouring rain anyone? Experience says you also end up lugging large amounts of wet kit home each night for a wash, so add a large rucsac in the mix as well…
    I can see that with motorbike as well, I could do it ‘one way’ every day – either push bike or motorbike is left at work or home. Its also time

A wee 125 seems ideal – I can do this for a while and then decide if a bigger bike is needed/wanted.

sobriety
    Free Member

Honda XL125 if you can find one, slow (60mph downhill with a tailwind) but bloody indestructible. being a dirtbike, they’re rather more comfortable than the cg125, as they have a higher riding position.

solamanda
    Free Member

If you are thinking along these lines I would get yourself the DAS pronto. The new test comes into play in April and will make things harder and more expensive. It’s a fact you will want to upgrade and a DAS will make you a safer rider on the road than a CBT with a small bike.

If you get the DAS you have far better bike options open to you. Used 200-400cc trail bikes are much better value than 125s. 125s have their value artificially held higher and are poorer value. The extra money spend on doing a DAS will give you a better value range of used bikes.

Also a bigger bike is safer within reason, more power to get out of trouble, better brakes, grip and handling. A 125 will REALLY struggle with the amount of climbing you intend to do. A bigger bike will mean fewer gear shifts and keep your concentration better.

I ride a 650 daily for commuting and still have my first 100cc scooter. Riding the scooter now feels terrifying and like I have no control.

matt_outandabout

A 125 will REALLY struggle with the amount of climbing you intend to do.

That was worrying me…the last hill is a mile of 1/5ish….and on rough potholed road…

waihiboy
    Free Member

CBT is tougher than you think ‘on the road’, quite fekin scary to be honest ‘if’ you have never ridden a motorbike before, but with some common sense you will be ok. our school was very good there are some real cowboy outfits though so do some research

i did mine about 3 months ago. i have commuted a good bit since and the confidence has come on loads, its a mad world out there just get as much practice as you can.

i have a 125 Varadero which would not be good for the use you want, im going to do my test in a few months but do it on my 125, then ride it for 2 years then upgrade or just get a bigger restricted bike for the 2 years.

at the moment it’s purely commuting with me, havent got the bike bug to be honest.

its great fun though but can be fekin scary with some of the nutters on the road. its totally opens your eyes up, very strange riding the bike to work all week then using the wifes car!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists’ is closed to new replies.