Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Motorcyclists – what lightweight mid-sized fun bike that can happily tour
  • Aus
    Free Member

OK, a bit of an odd question as I’ve been riding bikes all my life and should know what’s out there (and I kinda do but a bit uninspired). Toured last summer on a Tiger 800 with my son on a Bandit 600, brilliant time. We’re doing it again this summer. But for a couple of reasons, I need to sell the Tiger and buy a cheaper bike.

Now I love the looks of the Bandit, naked, engine on display, the simplicity of it (I like working on simple stuff on it), and the performance is ample for me. But I have a chronic back condition so a lighter bike would be so much better to manhandle. With a budget of £2.5K, I could get a old Bandit or a 650 Bandit, half faired which I like the look of. But they’re heavy. Quite like the naked ER6-N (light, interesting looking). Like the new Z650 but out of budget. Aprilia Shiver looks a bit different and fun. Ducati Monster 600/696 would be fun, but prob not tour friendly.

So what else is out there, that’s a bit retro looking, light, fun, possibly half-faired that has lots of personality? Happy to modify the bike or use soft panniers.

weeksy

TBH there’s not that much in it weight wise unless you go to extremes.

How much heavier is a Bandit than say the ER6 ?

As you’re going with a 600Bandit then you don’t need outright speed so a 696 would be spot on and great fun too.

Pigface
    Free Member

Transalp?

kayla1
    Free Member

Original Fazer 600? You should be able to get a belter for ~£1500 and have change left for pop and crisps.

failedengineer

In the time-honoured tradition of recommending what you’ve got – BMW F800R. Chopped in my Tiger 800 for it because I wanted something lighter and smaller (and lower seat height). New Enfield 650 looks good, £5500 or thereabouts. Meets the Retro brief.

kilo

Early generation bonneville and put a screen on it? I had one great bikes, took mine to the Nurburgring Guzzi v77?

grarea
    Free Member

I picked up an old 98 cb500 just as a mode of transportation. Was meant as a stoo gap. Anyway, it is right fun and easy to fix. Rarely use a dual carriageway. Suits the roads round here. Lush.

Anyway, apparently the street triple is considered kind of similar. Nimble, light, chuckable. Don’t know how they work with touring.

Oh, wait, might be out of budget.

mercuryrev

In the time-honoured tradition of recommending what you’ve got – BMW F800R. Chopped in my Tiger 800 for it because I wanted something lighter and smaller (and lower seat height). New Enfield 650 looks good, £5500 or thereabouts. Meets the Retro brief.

An ex had one of these (F800R) which she rode down to Tuscany on. Absolutely cracking bike, light and with an almost electric motor like engine. I would doubt many have been thrashed, so probably pretty easy to find a good un.

jonm81

Anything from the modern cb500 range. The cb500x is the adventure tourer styled one. Nice upright position, weighs less than 200kg and does over 250 miles to a tank. There is loads of touring accessories and they were less than £5k new so should be some in your price range by now.

I used mine to commute from Kent to Dorset for 4 months so they can do motorway touring pretty well just don’t expect to get into high triple figure speeds.

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks all. The Bandit 600 is 204kg, Tiger 210kg, ER6N 175kg and Bandit 650 215kg. Never had a ‘light’ bike, is it noticeable for manhandling and when riding?

F800R look a wee bit out of budget. Fazer could be a good shout.

Is the Ducati Monster as much fun as it looks? And reliability good?

Cheers

bazzer
    Free Member

An older Street Triple. All day comfort better power and lighter than a Bandit.

The lower rev limit means the engines last really well too compared to the higher revving Daytona lump.

I have yet to meet someone who has ridden one that didn’t think it was brilliant.

bazzer
    Free Member

Down side of Street for touring is you are looking for fuel at 120miles. Though that said my mate does trips with me and its no problem. We did a 3500mile tour last year.

anagallis_arvensis

Whats the new F650 single called G650 I think. Old Thumper will be fun!

weeksy

You can notice a light bike yeah, in the last 3 years i’ve owned a pair of KTM690 Dukes and done everytthing from trackdays to touring, you notice the weight but sometimes they lack stability. But moving them about on the road and in the garage is effortless.

Monsters are cool fun, IMO you want one with a slipper clutch installed, but it’s not essential with a smaller capaticty one.

failedengineer

The Tiger’s weight is high up – that’s one of the reasons I swapped to the F800R. It feels like a push bike by comparison (well, almost). A Street Triple would be my number one choice if I didn’t carry a pillion now and then. They are fantastic. However, the F800 isn’t miles behind.

grenosteve
    Free Member

SV650 would tick a lot of boxes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

New Enfield 650 looks good, £5500

I want my dad to buy one so I can buy it off him when he gets bored!

He’s had loads of Bullets but I’ve always been underwhelmed by them, they look cool, but it’s like riding a heavier CG 125 (sea sickness inducing suspension, strangely padded yet uncomfortable seat, even the quoted low power seems optimistic, and cheap switchgear). Reading the reviews it seems like for £1500 more than a Bullet you get most of the worst parts sorted though which would make a a lot of fun.

Way out of the OP’s budget though.

Kawasaki W650 and a small screen?

Fat-boy-fat

Yamaha tracer 700. Lighter still than all the bikes mentioned so far.

Brainflex

Another suggestion for the CB500X, one friend described it as a big scooter and I know what he means. Very smooth power, comfy seat, good range and very versatile.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I realise this isn’t directly relevant but I’ve been using a Honda St1100 pan european for commuting and errands (have plans for bigger trips) but I’m considering trading it in for a BMW R1150RT mainly down to the weight, it’s not a big difference in numbers but the BMW feels a hell of a lot lighter just getting it off the stand and that’s where the Pan is a problem – once it’s moving it’s fine

Basically just a comment that a small difference in the weight number can make a big difference rather than any bike specific advice

alexxx
    Free Member

half faired s650 for sale.. been all around the alps.. but i dont use it much anymore as the misses doesnt like it. 07 plate – great nick around 12000 miles i think will need to check. never wanted for anything has lots of extras and is bright red! let me know if you want pics and details!

mattstreet

SV650 would tick a lot of boxes.

Or it’s slightly taller brother the V-Strom. Would get a good example for 2.5k. Not exactly fun or retro looking though.

redstripe
    Free Member

+ 1 for a Honda Transalp, look for the later 700 version, should just about do within budget. Hard pushed to get a CB500x for this amount.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can get an NC700X for £2500.
    225Kg. Sit up and beg ride position. Fine for touring. 75mpg+, 220+ mile range.
    Not exactly “fun” as it’s rev limited to 6200rpm ish, but nice low down weight so very easy to chuck about.

kayla1
    Free Member

225Kg

****, that’s heavy. Imagine dropping that thing and having to pick it back up… Nah, it’s fine where it is thanks, just leave it. I’ll buy something else 😆

anagallis_arvensis

225Kg

****, that’s heavy

Pah, my bike is listed as 270kg….dry!!!

mboy
    Free Member

you can get an NC700X for £2500.

But for the love of god, don’t! Never has another bike in the history of motorbikes made public transport look so appealing…

So the light, fun, touring capability for a budget of £2.5k conundrum… The only answer that hits all of those points has to be the SV650S, the half faired version. Or possibly a CBR600F4. Anything else is going to be heavier, or not as much fun, or no good for touring, or come in over budget. SV650S won’t set the world alight, but they’re great little bikes, incredibly versatile, and cos they’re so ubiquitous it’s a buyers market. The CBR600F4 is much closer to a proper sports bike, but still useable every day, and cos the clip ons are above the yoke not below it it’s comfortable enough for most people for a spot of touring.

In a “recommend what you own” tradition that befits this forum, I currently have a 2001 VFR800 as one of my bikes, the last of the non VTEC bikes. OK so it fails on the weight side of things (it’s about same weigh as a Bandit at 208kg), but crucially it “feels” lighter than it is at all times whilst riding it. In fact, the only time you ever really notice its bulk is putting it on its centrestand. As for the other criteria, well some people say they’re Grandad’s bikes, but I’ve ridden (and owned, and still own) all sorts of exotic bikes, the VFR800 is usefully quick and a lot of fun to ride, the V4 is a very characterful engine. As for Touring, well it’s the bike that defined the “Sports Touring” category, a 22L tank, all the luggage you dare to throw at it and still the best headlight fitted to any motorbike, and it’s a bike you can just get on and do plenty of miles on if you need to. And as for the budget bit… Well they’re the used bike bargain of the century! VFR owners can’t work out why they’re so cheap. I bought mine 2 months ago (it’s my 2nd) for £1500, it’s near enough immaculate, has been thoroughly pampered and only done 30k miles (these engines will rack up mileages that would embarrass some repmobiles!), and save for the fact the tyres needed replacing it wanted for nothing. I did 200 miles on it the day after boxing day on some fantastic roads, it was awesome! It’s the perfect companion to my KTM RC8 which as you can imagine, is a lot more focussed bike to ride (though surprisingly comfortable actually), a bike that you feel comfortable on right away and can begin to push its limits, or just pop to the shops on it, and it does it all happily. But it is 40kg heavier than an SV650 or a CBR600…

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks all…so going on the basis that it needs to be
    – a good bit <200kg
    – ideally have some sort of fairing (been out on the Bandit today and missed a bit of protection!)
    – can do a few thousand miles in a couple of weeks carrying a tent etc in reasonable comfort
    – the engine is visible/retro-ish appeal

I’m erring towards (with no definite decision yet):

SV650 (sounds fun, a bit old school re looks)
    ER6F or er6N (fun, practical, odd or interesting looking)
    early CBR6 or ZZR6 (practical, oldish school)
    Aprilia Pegaso (a lightweight Tiger?)
    Triumph Speed Four (quirky, fun, odd looking)

The VFR800 is a good shout but a mate mentioned he found his heavyish to manhandle. The Transalp looks great but poss out of budget.

tjagain

How about a modern triumph bonneville?

200kg is a heavy bike!

sobriety
    Free Member

The early aprilia pegaso and bmw f6xx are the same bike

bazzer
    Free Member

Just get a Street Triple 169kg dry 180KG ready to ride and has a little bit of character and soul. It is by far the best middle weight naked out there. MT-09 is nice but the suspension is not as good as the Street. There is a reason it won all the road test comparisons for years.

NC700X Jesus I would be falling asleep at the bars 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

The Striple’s great, I had a quick go on one a few years ago and I still really want one. A friend’s dad has a Striple ‘R’ as a track bike and it’s bloody gorgeous (red frame, pearl white bodywork).

alric
    Free Member

I had a go or two on an ER6 and they steer like a bus. Not great in the twisty mountains
    Also cost me almost twice in petrol than the days rental

redstripe
    Free Member

If you look around you can get a late model Transalp within budget, this one highish mileage though, but they are out there:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-11-HONDA-XL700-VA-B-TRANSALP-XL-700-ENDURO-TOURER-HPI-CLEAR-HISTORY/113375750186?hash=item1a65b8a82a:g:hQkAAOSwyf1bR6Zh:rk:8:pf:0

bazzer
    Free Member

A Transalp might be a good idea if you are overland touring through Africa. Tarmac touring in the Alps its not going to be ideal, the front wheel is the wrong size.

Best options I have seen on the this thread so far are the VFR800, they are very capable comfy bikes with a great and engine and the tail end of Honda’s high quality days. Beware they do fry stator windings and regulators for a pass time, much like Blackbirds.

Or my suggestion of of a Street, throw some Kreiga bags on it and have a great time in the twisties. You can get an early one for your money and they are pretty darn reliable. As I said the lower rev limit over the Daytona makes them a lot more durable.

A lot of the other stuff is either big wheeled and compromised for a little off road capability or budget learner/commuter bikes.

At least the VFR or the Street will make you want to look back at them as you walk away and and be a little proud.

kilo

I had an early firestorm, great Bike but tiny fuel tank and this really compromised it, even for uk riding.

weeksy

later ones have bigger tank i think ? I’d have to check when but i think 2002>

edit
    Regular refuelling’s a drag but better on post-01 Honda VTR1000F Firestorms, when capacity went from 16 to 19 litres

195kg too, so not too terrible…. heck, i may even buy one myself !

Well, if i’d not recently bought a KTM790 that is 🙂

johnnystorm

Monster or Stripple! Ortlieb soft panniers on the back.

I rode my lowly Monster 600 over the Alps to Bologna for Ducato factory tour. On arrival I was waved past the queue waiting to get in and ushered to the staff bike park. 🙂

Of the two I missed the Monster most. Despite most reviews praising the Triumph exhaust note it just droned compared to a Monster with Termis!

bazzer
    Free Member

I have done big tours on a Tuono V4 APRC, 17L tank and it drinks like Oliver Reed. 80miles would see the fuel light on. Its doable but it is a bit of a ballache. Most of the trips on that though I took it down to Val D’Isere in the van and then went from there. So I avoided the long drag down where the range might be more of an issue. 80 Miles in the mountains and you are generally ready for a break.

I think a lot of it depends on if you want to waft along everywhere in comfort or get to the mountains and then have a bike that’s fun and easy to enjoy the twisties.

I am currently on a S1000XR for touring and its a really good compromise. However I do sometimes miss the simplicity of a really light small bike with a bag thrown on the back. Though not when I am slogging down a motorway in the rain 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists – what lightweight mid-sized fun bike that can happily tour’ is closed to new replies.