Motorcyclists: I'm thinking of doing it, any advice?

Home Forum Chat Forum Motorcyclists: I'm thinking of doing it, any advice?

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Motorcyclists: I'm thinking of doing it, any advice?
  • MarkLG

If you’re feeling the urge then go for it.
    When you pass get a bike you’re going to want to ride and you won’t grow out of – I got a little CB400 as my first bike, but only kept it 4 weeks before getting the VFR800 I actually wanted.
    I had a very happy few years going all over Europe, Morocco and Norway on various bikes and don’t regret a bit of it, but I’ve stopped riding now. I get no enjoyment out of riding on UK roads, and have run out of places to go in the space of a 2 or 3 week summer holiday, so I’ve moved onto other things.

Don’t ride a motorbike myself but asking the same question and decided to sign up to the follow before even forking out for the CBT.

http://geton.co.uk/

Did DAS about four years ago. I bought a 650 single BMW, still have it. Its good fun. Pass your test be sensible, get a bit of confidence and then get more training. I did IAM test about a year ago it really helped. Just take it easy to start with.

smoothness and appropriate speed are the keys to good riding. skill and confidence will grow with time and practice.

buy a copy of roadcraft police training manual, and practice the “system” in your car/bike.

Motorcycles are different from a car or bicycle as speed and position and manuverability are not the same.

boots, leathers and a well fitting quality helmet and gloves.
    fit the best tyres on your bike and keep an eye on pressure and wear,
    maintain your bike well.

avoid the temptation to race/speed on the road, aim for smoothness and safe progress instead.

go on some track days , it is so much fun and really lets you work on your skills safely.

another vote for VFRs here as a everything bike, but get a decent sized bike whatever you do!

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists: I'm thinking of doing it, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.