Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Motorcyclists…body airbag for regular use
  • hopefiendboy

Hi all! I’m lucky enough to own and occasionally use my bike for commuting to work and some longer trips. I was looking at upping the safety level and getting an airbag vest or jacket to supplement what I already use on the bike. From what I can see there are two options…a mechanically activated vest using a tether to the bike and an electronicly activated system.

Helite Klim and others make models for this.

Has anyone experience of such devices and can offer any advice over and above what is already on tinternet?

Many thanks! Paul

Watty

Personally I’d go non-tethered as I never actually let go of the bike when I had my last big off. I’d probably choose the same for a pillion too, although there’s potentially more chance of your passenger, as in our case, (literally) going flying.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Agreed, plus one guy I rode with kept forgetting to untether himself at fuel and cafe stops.

Much hilarity ensued!

fasthaggis

I am waiting for an ejector seat system to come to market 😉🙃

flicker
    Free Member

I use an Ixon air bag vest which is electronically triggered, it’s very good and yes I’ve tested it 😀
    The Ixon along with the held, furygan, RST and klim systems use an in&motion control system which is subscription based, approximately £100 a year. Dainese and alpinestars also have their own vests using their own control electronics which are not subscription based. All systems work well and if you’re using it purely for road use then I’d pick either of the alpinestars or dainese systems. For track use I’d pick one of the in&motion based systems, solely because the compressed air canister is user serviceable so can be changed at track side, whereas the alpinestars and Dianese vests are not user serviceable and have to be sent back to the manufacturer for service and regassing.

flicker
    Free Member

For your viewing pleasure, airbag had inflated before I hit the ground (useful 😀 ) and there wasn’t a mark on my upper body, shame about my right foot really…

cheers_drive

[gallows humour]
    I read the op as ‘body bag for regular use’ I mean, I know motorbikes can be dangerous..
    [/gallows humour]

hopefiendboy

Haha no problem re the gallows humour, the risks can be real!

@flicker
    wow real hand experience of the system in action. I think I may go for the Klim vest as xlmoto have a good price on this at 260 plus the subs cost on top. Either way it will be an enhancement of my current setup!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.