Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Motorcycle riders, I built a forum.
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

https://revtothelimit.co.uk/index.php

The other forum I use a lot, http://www.therevcounter.com is being switched off, so instead of crying about it, I built this one instead.

Come join in if you fancy

Premier Icon Kato
    Subscriber

Nice one weeksy. I’ll come have a look, not on any motorbike forums

Oh, that sounds worthwhile – cheers!

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Does it have a “Like” button?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Yes it does

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

I bet a soapy tenner it will be better than the old visor down. good luck👍

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

👍

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Best get my big boy bike sorted then… 🙂

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Not enough pop up ads.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

LOL it’s currently funded by donations and assuming that survives i can’t see it changing. I’m pretty sure the forum will be completely funded in that way for several years.
    If that’s the case, there will be no adverts, ever.

In my plans there will also be no social media linking, no RSS feed, no podcasts etc etc.

Unless of course the members ask for it… but IMO people just want a forum to bounce questions about, not a social media platform.

Joined 👍

curzon

I’ve just joined! Looking good and fresh, most of the other M/cycle forums i was on have gone a bit tired and stale. Good luck with it!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’ve just joined! Looking good and fresh, most of the other M/cycle forums i was on have gone a bit tired and stale. Good luck with it!

I’ll echo that…. Absolutely… But i’m going to try and make sure that’s not the case on this one. But it can of course only ever be as good as the content and the people who create the content. So it’s on them as much as anything.

Premier Icon failedengineer
    Subscriber

Joined.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Welcome in guys, your first 2 posts require Admin approval to help with spambots, but after that it’s post whatever you like, whenever you want.

Obviously at the moment the content isn’t massive… but i’m hoping over time it becomes a decent resource of knowledge and enjoyment.

This all came up a bit unexpectedly, the guy announced the closure of our old comfy slipper forum on Friday, so i just thought “lets make a new one”.

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

Also joined, never quite found a motorcycle forum that felt right.

mrmoofo

And very nice it is too …

And I can remember the days of Soapy Tenners

cyclelife

Over to join right now!
    Nice one.

Rockhopper

I remember Soapy Tenners as well, thats a real blast from the past.

Can the new forum have a rainpal thread?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Can it have a what now ? 🙂 You’ve lost me there.

I do believe i coined *plonk* on there too 🙂

Rockhopper

Rainpal was a bikchat forum thing I think. Some character developing a visor wiper system for helmets, crowd funding etc and after several years still hadn’t produced a working prototype. Huge two hundred page thread about it then it went legal and all mention of rainpal is now forbidden!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Hahahahaha i see.

Motorcyles are having similar issues with Hilltop motorcycles and their tuning methods.

Rockhopper

Yes, I’ve heard of that one as well 😀

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

I’ll join up, as mentioned in another thread I was on visordown aeons ago.
    Haven’t got the bike yet, lockdown saw to that but no rush

Premier Icon tootallpaul
    Subscriber

Joined. 😀

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Great stuff.

It’s feeling very much like ‘home’ to me there, i have to say, i really hope it goes from strength to strength. Got 157 users registered now which isn’t at all bad for the first 5 days.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Hopefully this doesn’t have any conflict of intererst for Mods as it’s a completely different subject of forum being motorbikes..

But anyway… Moving on.

The forum is here and is doing fairly well

https://revtothelimit.co.uk/index.php

But how do i get some google/engine based traffic ? How do i get my forum higher up the search engines lists when someone browses for ‘motorbike forum’ ? I assume as always we have some pretty clued up nerds in here and whilst i’m an OK nerd, there’s many things i know very little about, increasing my traffic is certainly one of them.

gobuchul

Can any IT bods explain to me in simple terms, why STW can’t use the same forum style as that one?

The forums I use have a similar layout and functionality, proper notifications, active topics, etc.

So why can’t this one be like that?

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

That’s a pretty perfect forum to my eyes. Nice work mate.

fatgit

Yep I’m on too
    Cheers

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

So why can’t this one be like that?

Because it’s not just a forum. It’s tied into lots of other things.

Comparing a hobbyist forum with < 200 members with a commercial offering like STW which gets 1.5 million unique visitors per month and has a dozen employees dependent on it for their salary is like comparing apples and, well, the Empire State Building. Believe me, I’ve had this conversation.

If you want to understand more, talk to Mark. He has an open invite if anyone wants to go visit them, though probably not in the next few weeks…

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Thanks for the compliments guys.

FOr info, i’m not trying to be STW, i’m just trying to give a few people exiled from another forum a home.

But i’d still like more people from random places to join too.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

STW which gets 1.5 million unique visitors per month

actual visitors or bots/etc too ? That seems a MASSIVE amount.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Dunno TBH, but Mark gets a lot of site stats. Google Analytics and suchlike.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iLwCVm]2020-04-03_11-19-22[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

mboy

Only just seen this thread. Joined. Good to see there’s some chat in there already, most m/c forums I know have effectively been killed off by facebook groups.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

It wouldn’t shock me if this goes the same way mate, but i’m honestly hoping not. The closing forum we’ve had a massive ‘community’ like on STW, rideouts, trackdays, meetups etc. Same sort of thing. So i’d be gutted if we can’t keep the same sort of thing going over on this new place.

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

Joined too. I’ve never used FB and it’s annoying how it’s sucked up various forums but nothing is going to change unless we use them so I’ll see yous there

Premier Icon Trimix
    Subscriber

Just joined, well done for setting it up.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.