Motorcycle helmets

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Motorcycle helmets
  • I’m in the market for a new helmet – as always, there’s so much choice and a mixture of reviews that it’s bloody hard to draw up a shortlist.

I will head through to my local bike store for advice and to try on, but open to suggestions so I can get an idea of what to try.

I mainly use my bike for leisure at weekends only so don’t necessarily need something that needs to be comfortable for use hours on end.

No budget as such, but value for money is always welcome!

Thanks in advance,
    GQ

Premier Icon tootallpaul
    Subscriber

Shoei GT Air. Comfortable, quiet and light. Last helmet you will ever own. (Until it needs replacing)

But, it does all come down to the shape of your head.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Shoei for me too, although mine is on the more expensive end of their range i admit, but i’ve loved all of them since moving from Arai.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Not much use but; Try loads and get one that fits comfy within your budget.

I don’t find Shoei comfortable but Arai fit fine you may be the opposite, trial and error is best way. Currently using Frank Thomas, would not have normally been on my radar but fits fine and is value for what I need – short commutes at no more than 50mph

Premier Icon finishthat
    Subscriber

Its down to what fits you , what you can see out of properly and what stock is available for you to try on , anything that becomes uncomfortable is a serious distraction.

Bustaspoke

But, it does all come down to the shape of your head.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

It depends on what type of helmet you want,Full face,Open face,Flip open?
    They’re expensive but try both Shoei & Arai

I have a Shoei RYD and it feels quite light when on, but still has a 5* SHARP rating.

therevokid

arai tour x4 – I seem to have a non shoei shaped bonce and arai’s fit like a glove 🙂

Thanks all. Both Shoei and Aria are on the radar so will try on to see which fits best.

It depends on what type of helmet you want,Full face,Open face,Flip open?

I’m looking for a full-face helmet.

Currently using Frank Thomas, would not have normally been on my radar but fits fine and is value for what I need – short commutes at no more than 50mph

That’s what I’m using currently, but it’s a few years old now. I just find quite heavy and not particularly aerodynamic. Was fine on the 125cc but not ideal on a motorway at 70mph!

I’m a Arai shaped head, Shoei just doesn’t work for me. I’ve just bought an X-Lite Carbon flip though for touring next summer and I kinda like it.

Unless you have somewhere local you can try them all on, I’d use sportsbikeshop as they do free postage, returns and exchange and usually have pretty good prices with a massive range.

easily

Wow!
    It’s a while since I bought a motorbike helmet – it seems prices have gone up a lot!

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

not particularly aerodynamic. Was fine on the 125cc but not ideal on a motorway at 70mph!

Do you have a fairing and is it angled optimally? The FT helmets are quite basic but I wouldn’t call them particularly un-aerodynamic. Buffeting etc can be caused by your head being stuck out in the airflow, riding a naked bike in which case you’re a bit stuffed or too loose a fit. If you’ve jumped up in bike size, are you using earplugs as well?

Pigface

Love Arai’s just fit so well, AGV doesn’t fit my head at all. Shoei good kit as well.

Do you have a fairing and is it angled optimally? The FT helmets are quite basic but I wouldn’t call them particularly un-aerodynamic. Buffeting etc can be caused by your head being stuck out in the airflow, riding a naked bike in which case you’re a bit stuffed or too loose a fit. If you’ve jumped up in bike size, are you using earplugs as well?

It’s a naked bike so expect buffetting, just seem to get quite a bit but it may be completely normal. I was looking at upgrading anyway so thought a better helmet might improve things. And yes, I wear earplugs now!

Unless you have somewhere local you can try them all on, I’d use sportsbikeshop as they do free postage, returns and exchange and usually have pretty good prices with a massive range.

Yep, there’s a sportsbikeshop one near me (Leeds) (plus a J&S next door) and they offer try before you buy so intend to test out potential replacements.

Premier Icon rt60
    Subscriber

Having always used arai I got a shark pro carbon last year and have been very impressed with it, much quieter and the visor seems better quality too.

flip456

I’ve got a Shark vision r helmet and the wide visor is a revelation. I don’t think I could go back to a normal visor now.

I tried loads when I first passed my test. Ended up with a Nolan. Recently bought another one, and after trying a Shoei (not right for me at all) and a longer term test of a brand new Arai (too tight across the forehead) I got another Nolan, a N87. Was around £150 so nothing like what the big boys are charging.

wiganer

I’ve had a shark and a shoei in the last 10 years. Shoei is the current helmet and is proper comfortable but the visor is knocked into a cocked hat by the shark. The shoei fogs up far too easily (it even ships with a pinlock insert, like they now it’s rubbish), and optically it’s nowhere near the shark. If I could have the shoei helmet with the shark visor it’d be perfect.

CountZero

There’s always one of these… 😉

mboy

I’m a Arai shaped head, Shoei just doesn’t work for me.

You got a Yankee roundhead then I take it… I’m as long and narrow and European as they come, hence Shoei’s fit me perfectly!

But to the OP… It’s ALL about the fit! Almost no point in anyone recommending anything, buy what fits you and is comfortable.

That said, if you’re Shoei shaped, get a GT Air. Bloody marvellous lid! I’ve got a Shoei Neotec flip front too, and to be honest, yes it’s more convenient but the GT Air is just so much quieter, more refined that I’m thinking of getting rid.

couchy

I’ve got 9 helmets from several manufacturers, The Arai I have is the noisiest and has worst visor mech, my Shoei ones are nice and fairly quiet with a good visor mech, several agv’s are the same. But the best in turns of finish, quietness and visor mech is my latest HJC, model is a RPHA11. Recommended but as with any need to try first

I have a couple of Shoei’s which are far better than my old ‘job’ Schuberths. I don’t know if you are anywhere near Guildford (I’m not but I travelled the length of the country to see them and get a new suit), but Motolegends are brilliantly helpful.
    If not, then find your helmet at the cheapest net price possible, and Motolegends will beat that price by 10%.

Merak

Shoei for me.

Buy the best lid you can afford, not necessarily because it’s the safest but because of the comfort/plushness.

@yosemitepaul I’m a Northerner (Leeds) but cheers for the info.

And thanks all, some very useful advice here – much appreciated. I will head to my local bike shop(s) to try some helmets out to see which ones fit best but at least I have some brands to target first.

tdog

Yh sure you could go for tailor type fit for shoei type money or Arai

But I found a Shark RSR carbon to be v v gvfm at £200 odd in sale might have been £280 iirc and was lovely light, comfy fit for ME and scored max score on the Sharp Tests for safety

Never ridden any other brand helmets apart from an oversized Fox mx one bitd on the supermoto bad boy toy

marcg868

About to retire my Shark Spartan Carbon in spring for AGV K5 Hurricane.
    Loved my Shark helmets. Looking forward to trying a AGV again though.

Premier Icon oomidamon
    Subscriber

I’m using an AGV Sport Modular, my first flip front helmet. It fits me very well and has some nice features like a reversible lining and a drop down visor, it is also very light and well ventilated. My only complaint is that it is really noisy, so earplugs are essential.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

This is possibly out of date now but the thing that made me Arai-loyal was the aftercare… When I got my Astro R the guy in the shop mentioned that as an Arai dealer they could get my old, battered Condor checked for safety and refurbed. I thought, why not, it’s free- but I was pretty sure it was dead after a pretty high speed noggin-first landing at knockhill. Came back a fortnight later having been safety checked, paint touched up, new pads and strap fitted and a new side plate fitted.

OK so I’d already bought a new helmet but that was my fault 🙂 I basically would have had 2 helmets for the price of one otherwise.

I’ve had Arai and Shoei, but my current helmet is an X-Lite and I prefer it. Try one on if you can, they are seriously comfy.

Cheers all for the info, very helpful – a trip to my local sportbikeshop is in order 🙂

Ignore everyone who tells you to get a certain make until you’ve actually tried one on. Helmet fit is the most important factor.

Go somewhere that sells all the major brands and try on as many as possible. Once you’ve narrowed it down, wear those ones for several minutes each – at least. Decent shops won’t mind you taking your time. Good staff will be able to advise you on fit and also if you can alter the cheek pieces or liners to achieve a better fit.

Arai and Shoei are good but their high cost is down to advertising/sponsorship. Higher end models of any brand cost more due to increased vents, fancy graphics etc. Cheaper brands like HJC have all the features of an Arai such as washable liners but at half the price.

In terms of safety, lighter rotational mass is preferable so carbon fibre helmets can have an advantage.

When you choose your lid – don’t put it back on the shelf and buy it off the internet. Say you’d like to buy it but it’s cheaper on the web and see if they’ll come down on price. If you do buy from a shop you’ll get better service if you go back to them for warranty claims, visor changes, spare parts etc.

Good luck.

tdog

Deffo sums it up nicely Buzz 👍

Premier Icon allfankledup
    Subscriber

Bought a Klim Krios during the summer — it weighs next to nothing, big peak on it (adventure style lid), noise is ok, comfy for all day – and available in massive sizes to fit my noggin.

Wasn’t stupid money either vs. Arai or Shoei. Would recommend trying one at least.

Cheers all, will heed the advice and try on as many as possible to ensure a comfortable fit.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.