• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Motorbikes for big units?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

I have an FZ1 which has always felt kind of small but when you’re a big unit (like me) everything feels small. I’m looking for another naked but it needs to be longer and taller and preferably not an IL4. Something like a V-Max but not a V-Max IYKWIM. Not keen on motards or adventure bikes and definitely no big tourers.

Have sat on the nakeds from Triumph/BMW/Ducati but they’re too small. Diavel was not too bad but out of my price range and OTT for me. Harleys just incrediby heavy and gnerally too low.

So I’m open to ideas really, Doesn’t have to be new or any particular brand.

Ta folks

kilo

Xjr1300, always fancied one

sobriety
    Free Member

preferably not an IL4

Xjr1300, always fancied one

Which I think is the issue, have you considered a Guzzi or maybe an Aprilia naked? As they may be more generously proportioned.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kilo

Ha skimmed over th il4, as pointed out there’s not lots left. Smaller guzzi (750?) isn’t massive, do they still do Californias? Did you try a triumph rocket, you’d have to Big old unit to make that feel small. Indian scout for a left field choice

bazzer
    Free Member

Aprilia Tuono Naked, is tiny, well the V4 is as I have one.

What do you want to use the bike for?

Is it comfort thats the problem or do you just think you look to big for it?

sobriety
    Free Member

Ah, I was thinking of some of the earlier V-Twin Aprilias, as I’d read that they were mor generously proportioned.

flange
    Free Member

I had a Guzzi, it was a pain in the arse to own. Constantly broken and mine was a newish one!

I’d be looking at a Super Blackbird. They did a naked version (can’t remember what it was called) Big, fast, bulletproof and cheap.

Bandit is another option although build quality isn’t great. Z1000? Fun and comfy for the taller bloke or lady..

For info, I’m 6ft2.

Edit:noticed the no il4- erm, Tuono?? (old one, new one is tiny)

flange
    Free Member

Older Tuono is much bigger – build quality isn’t brilliant and the rear brake will never work but they’re fun and comfy

tjagain

triumph rocket three. thats a big bike with a 2.3l engine

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ah, I was thinking of some of the earlier V-Twin Aprilias, as I’d read that they were mor generously proportioned.

I had an RST Futura which was big and comfy. Low revving VTwin but getting on a bit now. Reliable engine, dodgy electrics
    Also test drove a Kawasaki ZX-9R. Again, getting on a bit but still a big brilliant fun bike to rise

ta11pau1

Yeah the V4 models are small, but the gen2 tuono and gen1 tuono are much bigger, I’m 6ft 3 and have a 2009 (gen2) tuono factory. It’s a ‘proper’ size bike, there are a few known niggles, and the back brake can be fixed with a set of rearsets so not a huge issue. Bloody love mine 😀

The non factory models come with a silver frame, but no ohlins/carbon/forged wheels. If you can handle the looks, the extra £1k for a factory model is worth it.

benp1

How about something like a CB1300 or GSX1400?

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve got one a bit like this.

bike

Harleys just incrediby heavy and gnerally too low.

Probably same as the Harleys though!!

darthpunk
    Free Member

It would seem the CB1300 is now Japan only, but my is that a handsome bike

null

Might be worth a look at 2nd hand models when it was available in the UK

Quite like the CB-1100 RS too

Easy to see which brand i’m fond of

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Indian FTR 1200, not much cheaper than a Diavel mind you.

Did you see the new Triumph Speed Twin?

mrmoofo

I am kind of big …
    And have a Diavel

I had a Tuono Gen 2: They are not big TBH
    I suffer from the “gorilla humping a football” silhouette on most bikes … really fancies a BMW NineT … but then looked at my refelction in the window ….
    Multistrada/ GS1200/ K1300R/ and then some of the retro nakeds… t bikes do seem to be made for those who are 5ft 2 inches …

I have heard that the Indian FTR is actually quite small … the scout isn’t big.

TheFlyingOx

Buell XB12ss if you can find one, the ss denoting that it’s a long wheelbase model. They look quite nice as well.

hot_fiat

KTM 990 superduke? I’d suggest a 950/990sm or smt as they’re huge, but you don’t like motards (why not? They’re basically just 100hp mountain bikes!)

Rode a superduke GT as everyone said how big and comfy they were, but all I got was cramp in my ankles and wrists which is why I went to a 1290sas in the end. Stupendously, sportsbike gobblelingly rocketship fast.

mrmoofo

The KTM SM would be a good choice … and a great bike …
    I found the SuperDuke too small ….

The Buell … I love them, and owned a tuber for 10 years. The XB range are small … even the longer wheel base ones. The Uly would be the best fit. But please be aware that Buells have , umm, “character”. They need time and love to work propely ….

turboferret

I like my BMW K1200R – it’s pretty big and isn’t slow 🙂

epicyclo

It’s got to be the Rocket 3. What else is this much fun?

benp1

KTM SM is a good shout. They’re great looking bikes. My IAM observer had one, spoke very highly of it and was a very talented and quick rider

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Motorbikes for big units?’ is closed to new replies.