Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Motorbikerists – tell me about…
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

i doubt a fizzie could propel me uphill these days

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

You maybe never bothered reading the original post, but the Aprilia’s going

Its history coursework all over again, scanned and missed all the key points!

Mechanically as sound as they come

As a rule of thumb (working in the industry) Aprilia as typically the poorest built of the large manufacturers, sounds like you got lucky!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Aprilia as typically the poorest built of the large manufacturers, sounds like you got lucky!

from what I know about it the original RSV Mille engine was a Rotax built unit which tend to be reliable. The same engine was detuned and mountedinto a more upright fram and sold as the SL1000 Falco, then again as the Futura. So what you have is an engine designed to operate at race speeds but in a far lower working range = fundamentallyreliable. being italian, still had the usual electrical gramlins, but also having had a Ducati, I’m reasonaly proficient in 12v electrics now. Can’t speak for the later bikes, but the Futura was definately a reliable machine and my understanding is so were the Falco and Mille ()so long as you’re handy with a soldering iron

rkk01
    Free Member

Wasn’t the end of availability of the Rotax twin partly the reason that Aprilia developed the V4?

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

RSV Mille engine was a Rotax built unit which tend to be reliable

The engine was (most rotax stuff is good, if uninspiring), i think it was mostly all the ancillaries that were the problem, slave cylinder, anything that had an electrical current passing through it. I think a lot of it came down to the owners, they just had to be kept on top of (soldering skills like you say are ideal!).

Wasn’t the end of availability of the Rotax twin partly the reason that Aprilia developed the V4?

I believe it just ran it’s course and they wanted to develop their own engine, and indeed one that could be competitive in superbikes.

Northwind

juan – Member

So basically the OP ask about a triple from british finest and people reply with some souless and tasteless in-line four from japan.

I kind of agree with the principle, but not the actual result… TBH the 955 was aimed directly at the soulless inline 4 market, it doesn’t really do anything all that different to the japanese alternatives, other than being a bit bigger, a bit heavier, and a bit slower.

weeksy

As a rule of thumb (working in the industry) Aprilia as typically the poorest built of the large manufacturers, sounds like you got lucky!

Disagree in all honesty. Apart from the clocks reset, the odd brown connector issue and the clutch slave (which isn’t aprilia, it’s Brembo) the bikes are good as gold. They’re BIG twins and need some starting, hence why owners have issues who don’t Optimate them etc… But you can’t go far wrong mechanically, Ohlins/Marz forks, Sachs shocks and brembo stoppy things.. it’s all good.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

No one mentioned aDucati St series? A 2 or 3 mighr be at nearly 10 years old, affordable? And likely to be a decent compromise between tourer and sports bike that the poster wants, and more interesting than a big jap 4.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned a Ducati because its not a ‘triple from britains finest’ as pointed out by someone earlier.. that somehow managed to see straight through the OP’s original shortlist of 2 kawasaki’s an Aprillia and a Triumph ;O)

I kind of agree with the principle, but not the actual result… TBH the 955 was aimed directly at the soulless inline 4 market, it doesn’t really do anything all that different to the japanese alternatives, other than being a bit bigger, a bit heavier, and a bit slower.

That sounds like a fairly good reason for me to steer clear then! Oh I forgot, I can’t steer.. I own a zx9 lol.

Back to the OP. Like mentioned above, I reckon the zx9 would fit well. Its a bit long for me (bar height fine,but just a bit stretched) and I’m 5′ 8″. It gets uncomfortable at slower speeds/around town but I find it fine once out on the open roads. Not sure if that makes sense. Possibly to do with the weight being taken off the arms a bit once around 59mph ;o)

cbrsyd
    Free Member

I’d seriously think about an SL1000 Falco though

Don’t rule out the Tuono. Comfy over distance if you get a higher screen , an absolute hoot to ride and like you I had no reliability problems at all over 2 + years of ownership. All it needed was tyres and easy diy servicing.

br
    Free Member

Don’t rule out the Tuono. Comfy over distance if you get a higher screen , an absolute hoot to ride and like you I had no reliability problems at all over 2 + years of ownership. All it needed was tyres and easy diy servicing.

But, and don’t take this the wrong way, you’ve probably done very few miles and/or not serviced it properly as AFAIK, a proper valve service is an engine out job.

But back to triple’s; I’ve had two of the later 1050’s (Tiger and Spring GT) and they are superb road bikes – safe, secure, well built and reliable (both sold with nearly 20k, but only one years’ use) – and as fast as anything this side of a superbike, especially on normal roads.

weeksy

The ZX9R for me is the epitomy of dull… it’s just a terrible terrible bike.

Was out on one of my R1’s last weekend and a mate wanted to try the R1 out, (he has now sold the 9R and bought an R1 BTW).

The tank on the 9r was VAST… like… well… enormous !!!, handling was average… performance.. OK… but it looked it’s age a lot more than the R1 and really felt it’s age.

rickmeister

Some really nice ZZR 11’s on ebay atm…

cbrsyd
    Free Member

But, and don’t take this the wrong way, you’ve probably done very few miles and/or not serviced it properly as AFAIK, a proper valve service is an engine out job.

You don’t need the engine out to check or adjust the valves. Bit complicated but not that difficult and some really good articles on the web on how to do it. Did 15000 miles on mine (not much I know)but didn’t do the valves because most don’t need adjustment for at least 20000+ miles. Certainly wouldn’t put me off owning one. The OP has had a Futura so I’m sure he knows all this anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Juan- souless is a good thing, means everything works.

You’ll struggle to find ANY bike more reliable than a Triumph Triple. And that’s a fact!
    IMO they make Hondas look flimsy too.
    I had a 2001 Speed Triple for 30000 miles. Utterly bombproof. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

We’ve got a very rare bike now – Ducati ST3s. There’s only 58 in the country! (and about 100 standard non ‘s’ models)
    It has, to be honest, an absolute peach of an engine. Perfectly linear power delivery, quiet when cruising with a nice growl when you open it up. The s model has Ohlins bouncy bits and ABS. It handles in that secure and stable Ducati fashion and is the best pillion bike I’ve ever piloted. We looked for the best part if a year to find the right one for us though. People seem to be surprised that there’s a touring Ducati though!

It gets used too….

IMG_2193 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

juan
    Free Member

I didn’t mention ducati, because most of people here (except you my dear peter) have some very false idea about them. None of my riding mate ever had a problem with there ducatis… However the bike is out and about on a very regular basis. And the services are due in time. But as you pointed them out, the old multistrada or a ST3 will do the job nicely…

weeksy

I love Ducatis, i’ve owned many, in fact only reccently sold the last one, the wifes 749, replaced with a 2004 R1.

However, Ducatis ARE more expensive to own/run than their Japanese counterparts, that’s very much not open to debate. Also in the current climate that’s very important.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The problem with a Ducati is not the Ducati but the owners who neglect them.

I’ve seen many a lovely Ducati ruined by an owner who has neglected it, tried to bodge it up, thrashed it and never paid it any attention etc.

It’s not a Honda which you can pretty much turn the key and just go all the time. It needs some TLC. A well looked after Ducati is a lovely thing indeed. Except that ugly as hell sit up tourer thing they did! That was horrible!

Anyway, back to the OP – have you bought a Triumph yet?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The problem with a Ducati is not the Ducati but the owners who neglect them.
    I’ve seen many a lovely Ducati ruined by an owner who has neglected it, tried to bodge it up, thrashed it and never paid it any attention etc.

Same as anything really. Dukes, being Italian, like to be ridden though. You’re best getting one with more miles and a full history than one that’s done 1000 miles in 3 years and been serviced once. Buy on condition and history, not milage.
    Our ST3s there had done 20000 miles when we bought it but been astonishingly well looked after and fitted with good usable extras, not anodised tat.

I disagree with ” Except that ugly as hell sit up tourer thing they did! That was horrible!” though. I assume you mean the original Multistrada. I really like them. I rode the 1100. Strewth, what an engine! We share our bike though and Mrs PP wasn’t keen on the seat, which is why we got the ST3s in the end.

failedengineer

I agree with PP on the reliability of modern Triumphs. I’m on my 4th – a 955 Speed triple, a TT600, a Sprint St1050 and now a Speed Triple 1050 and, apart from a dodgy sidestand switch on the 955 (easily fixed)they’ve never let me down. I do all the servicing (apart from the valve check – only so that the next owner knows it’s been done)and frequently carry a pillion. In particular, the early 955s appear to be carved from solid. There’s a bit of cost engineering gone on recently, though.

bazzer
    Free Member

My triumph Street Triple has been peerless. I know its not what the OP is looking for but its another vote for triumph quality.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

That’s the one Peter, the Multistrada. I don’t diagree about it being a good bike, it just looked horrible.

weeksy

TBH riding the Multistrada a thought it was a terrible machine. The KTM950SM and 950SMR were much better in a similar genre.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s the one Peter, the Multistrada. I don’t diagree about it being a good bike, it just looked horrible

See I love how they look. Saw them at the NEC when they were released and thought they looked odd, but like many odd things I think the design has aged very well. Same goes for the 999/749. Slagged off in the press but always a better looker than the 1098 and 1198 which look very boring and Japaneese IMO

failedengineer

Friend of mine had the previous Multistrada 1000. Toured on it with a pillion. Mechanically it was excellent, but he had a lot of trouble with the electrics. Which reminds me, he got a ZRX1200 next – they’re a nice bike if you like retro style, the Eddie Lawson rep. green one looks fab, IMHO.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The ZX9R for me is the epitomy of dull… it’s just a terrible terrible bike.

Was out on one of my R1’s last weekend and a mate wanted to try the R1 out, (he has now sold the 9R and bought an R1 BTW).

The tank on the 9r was VAST… like… well… enormous !!!, handling was average… performance.. OK… but it looked it’s age a lot more than the R1 and really felt it’s age.

I rode 2 R1’s of similar age one day from 2 different dealers up here and although I liked the look of them more than the zx9 I just couldn’t get past the gear shift feel compared to the 9. They must have been a bit thrashed as I would guess both would be just as slick as each other when in good condition. Maybe I’m wrong. The more head down position of the R1 left me aching before I got the bike out of Elgin. The handling felt sweet right enough.. like something between the zx9 and my cbr125 but that wasn’t going to be the deal breaker.
    The nail in the coffin was the smooth power delivery of the zx9 from slow speeds through the gears compared to both R1’s. The R1 was screaming,lively,wanting to be revved to get the same oomph out of it and the 9 just seemed to get to where it was wanting to get to.. quick,smooth,composed,no fuss. Something that neither of the R1’s felt like they had.They both had at least 10k on them over my zx9. I admit that they weren’t the freshest of examples and on paper/everywhere you look the R1 seems to have the edge over any zx9 so I’ll still keep it in the back of my mind that I need to try another example at some point. In the meantime, I’m no spring chicken and quite enjoy the more comfortable position of the 9!

weeksy

Fair assesment that of a ZX9 and R1 mate yes. Good post.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Motorbikerists – tell me about…’ is closed to new replies.