Motorbike Q

Home Forum Chat Forum Motorbike Q

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Motorbike Q
  • PeterPoddy

Yeah no problem at at all. I know a bloke a fair bit bigger than you who toured Scotland on an xr125

in my opinion, it's a LOT more sensible to do your CBT, then get an old 125 to thrash and crash and learn on. Then when you're bored, do your test in the 125, then get a restricted 500 or similar for a couple of years, then take the restrictor off. That's what I did. I only had 1 day of lessons with a test at the end, because I could ride a bike well and already knew the rest from car driving

It's probably cheaper in the long run. 125s don't loose their value much at all, if you get a decent one and keep it in good nick

Best way to do it! More sensible than getting a Blade after a week following an instructor!
    🙂

PeterPoddy

Regarding the bike, I'd get a traillie of some sort because they crash better, will be easier to ride in traffic and a bit more comfy for someone tall

Wiksey

I did the DAS route last July and eventually got a 600 Bandit this May. If you are sensible I would follow PP's advice (can't believe I just wrote that!) as you are a lot less likely to be way out of your depth and feel like you could go whizzing off into a field at any given corner.
    And yes, get a traily and hoon about on it as much as you can 🙂

For all the petrol powered bikers who grace this forum a question from a soon to be new rider….

Although i know it will work out more expensive in the long run i cannot afford the initial outlay of a DAS course so will be going the CBT/Ride and 125 for a while/Practical test/restricted for two years route..

My question is, for a 13 stone 6ft bloke will i find a 125 capable of pulling me to work everyday considering i need to get from Ashburton on the edge of dartmoor over a large hill (haldon) and into exeter then back..

CBR125R and the like seem popular and plenty of secondhand ones around but there is also the more trail bike XR125's and similar?

Any suggestions? Little sports bike or little moto? or save for a year or more while continuing to suffer the busses….

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

if you can't afford the DAS course, find a school that does the 125 lessons pay as you go style and have one or two a week. use their bike and pass the test better/quicker this way than practicing bad habits. Once you've passed the test, get any bike and have it restricted to 33bhp. At your size, you'll swap any 125.

You might even find yourself in a position to have a few lessons on a DAS bike by the time it comes around. The test is the same whatever the bike and given your size, you'll actually find it easier on a DAS bike.

By the way, I'm an ex motorcycle instructor

Hairychested

I dare to disagree with the above suggestions. I believe you should try and do the full licence without restrictions straight away.
    125cc is fun in London, I took one onto the M4 and it was very unstable due to its lack of weight. With the full A-cat. licence something like my Bros would serve you nicely.
    Money – save up, pay in instalments, shop around.

waihiboy

this is the only bike you need… 😉

Honda Varadero 125 XL

This is mine…

£1,800 with 6k on the clock, past my CBT this itme last year and used it pretty much every day since for the commute, its good because its quite a big bike and you sit way higher than the piece of crap CG i did the CBT on.

i couldnt afford the £500 for the DAS either, the 125 is fine for work, when the 2 years are up i'll just do the CBT again. no point in me passing the test really as i havent got the bike bug and dont think i ever will.

had a go on my brothers Tiger 1100 the other week and sh*t myself with how fast it was, nearly lost it on a roundabout.

most other 125 are too small and you'll be blown all over the shop.

£15 tax

£72 fully comp insurance

£11 to fill her up

saved shed loads since ditching the car.

ride safe, it's a great laugh and certainly wakes you up in the morning!

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

Personally I would go DAS rather than a restricted licence, but there is nothing stopping you keeping the 125 for a bit post passing 😉 Whilst I like the idea of low powered bikes to start off on I think that the test is probably easier on a bigger bike (I found them easier to ride anyway), and if you can control your urges then you can get a lowish powered big bike when you are ready (I went for a middleweight for 6 months and progressed onto a bit of a beast after 6 months – ie 1000cc – which I keep thinking was a bit ambitious and am debating cutting back down to something like a VFR 800 in 12 months when I change again).

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I say stay away from the little joke sports bikes. a CBR125 has almost the exact performance of a cityfly or similiar- it's just more likely to get nicked, and far more expensive if you drop it. Which chances are you will at some point. They're just silly toys if you ask me. Honourable exception to the RS125 of course, but only if derestricted which you're not allowed

Trailie of some sort makes sense, if it must be a 125. Superior riding position for in-town riding, nice and easy to ride, good comfort, excellent crashworthiness… And if it's important to you, they also don't look daft, since they're not pretending to be anything they're not.

Performance wise it'll be adequate, my old Virago 125 (don't laugh… Oh, OK, laugh) carried me about 10000 miles, and spent a lot of that time absolutely flat out at 65mph :mrgreen:

As for doing DAS, it's expensive… I did CBT first and learned to ride a bike, then I did my DAS and got a real bike, don't regret it at all.

Jujuuk68

I must admit, I took to biking initially as I had a big old alfa 75 with a 200bhp tuned engine, and it was giving me 23 mpg on a trip to work, so I went for a Suzuki gs125. I sold it a year later for nearly what I paid for it.

But I wouldn't have been capable of doing DAS in a week, from no bike riding. I found the cbt quite challenging, and had an hour and a half longer doing it than someone who'd ridden scooters before who was also on it.

After a year, when I was happy with the concept of "riding" and all my observations were pretty natural, and riding the bike made "sense" then I did a DAS, over a few days.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

"But I wouldn't have been capable of doing DAS in a week, from no bike riding. I found the cbt quite challenging, and had an hour and a half longer doing it than someone who'd ridden scooters before who was also on it."

Yup… Some people can, I definately couldn't, I really struggled with the CBT. I could have gone to the bad local school where they'll give you a certificate after 5 minutes, but then I'd have been killed first time I rode on the road 🙂

Premier Icon speaker2animals
    Subscriber

Or get born in 1961, learn on an unrestricted 250 (Suzuki X7) and do a single test to ride anything you want!

Oh how I laughed!!!!!

epicsteve

I've spent a fair bit of time on 125's as I had a couple CB125TB & AR125LC) as a teenager and occasionally used my wife's SR125. 125's are good in town as they have adequate performance to keep up or even overtake traffic. Out on the open roads however the restricted ones can struggle to keep up with traffic, especially uphill or into a headwind.

My own view is that decent performance is only of the defensive tools available to you when riding a bike, so think bigger bikes are considerably safer than 125's out of town.

Given Ashburton to Exeter is about 20 miles each way then I'd say that while something like the CBF125 will definitely cope, I think it'd be better in the long run to do DAS and get something like a CB500 instead, unless cost is the main driving factor (as the CB500 will use about twice as much fuel as the CBF125). For 20 miles each way, in 60mph limits, then a proper trail bike (even one bigger than a 125) won't be ideal as the riding position isn't great for that. A trail styled road bike, like the Varedero or a BMW Funduro, would be ok though

epicsteve

this is the only bike you need…

Honda Varadero 125 XL

Good choice if you do most of your mileage in town (despite being horifically ugly) but once out of town restricted 125's get boring very quickly. My first 125 (back in the mid 80's) was a pre-restriction Honda CB125 twin which was about 10-15mph faster than the current restricted bikes and made quite a difference.

PeterPoddy

(as the CB500 will use about twice as much fuel as the CBF125).

No it won't. A CB500 will do 60mpg fairly easily (I should know I did 35,000 miles on one! Thrashing it silly gets 53-54mpg, I once hit nearly 70mpg….) and you won't get double that on a 125….

Other costs will be higher though, but they are pretty much the perfect commuter bike, IMO.

I did DAS in 5 days and found the cbt hard, it was tough but fun. 500cc was easier to ride than the 125cc. Of course I crashed on my first ride post test and am still waiting for bike to be fixed but thats another story….. wasnt my fault BTW.

Subscriber

I did my DAS and CBT over a 5 day course (1st day CBT, days 2,3,4 riding a knackered ER-5, day 5 was the test at about 9.30am or something). It is hard work, and it costs a few hundred quid. If I had the time I would have done CBT, 125 for a couple of months and then gone for the test, but the new one was supposed to be imminent and would involve a very long journey to the nearest test centre… so my have was kind of forced!

Do DAS though, nae point going for the restricted licence – the test is no easier and it isn't going to be that much cheaper just because you are learning and doing the test on your own machine.

Best I have had from my bike… 45mpg. Gotta love those 955cc and lack of fairing (naked bikes – good for keeping your licence! I won't go over 80 for more than a few seconds whilst overtaking, and generally won't go much over 70. The wind blast is just uncomfortable!!!! I suspect it may also push the MPG up a wee bit!)

rkk01

I'd think very carefully about a CG125 and Haldon Hill….

I did the CBT, then separate DAS route a few years ago. At 6'3'' and 15 stone I looked a complete fool on the 125, and struggled to keep up with the class on ordinary 60mph A roads.

For 11 years my time was divided between work / weekday home in Exeter and folks / Gf's folks / in-laws in SE Cornwall, so have driven that strecth of A38 more than most roads. As you will well know, Haldon Hill is a steep, bendy dual carriageway and suffers a mix of very slow traffic and impatient tossers – and is a constant accident blackspot. Winter weather can be attrocious.

Can't imagine a CG125 would get up with a big rider without a few downshifts. At normal commuting times I would have thought you would be slow and vulnerable on a very busy bendy road with poor visibility and lots of fast traffic…

Just my thoughts… but maybee a test ride to see how the bike performs on Haldon?

Hairychested

Buy my Bros and you're laughing. 650cc V-twin, all you need there 🙂

epicsteve

Buy my Bros and you're laughing. 650cc V-twin, all you need there

Or the later equivalent, the Deauville. Same engine & excellent reliabilty plus a decent fairing, hard luggage and a shaft drive. Early ones can be had for under £2K now.

I got one as my first big bike and then kept it for 10 years as a general purpose tourer/commuter.

sv

I rode a C90 for a FULL year, it did about 45-50mph and I weigh about 14st. Great bike and some fantastic races with other scooters! Dont think it counts as a learner bike though, something with a bit of wind/weather protection would be good.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Subscriber

I do a 30 mile commute in to work every morning, including a big hill, and I see a few 125. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it, they really struggle getting up the hill, and are pretty useless at overtaking.

If you can't afford a DAS do the other test, I took my test here in Madrid an dSpanish bike licence's are also limited for the first two years. 33bhp is more than enough for commuting – you'll be able to overtake pretty much anything, beat any non-sports car off the lights, etc.

Hairychested

The Dullville is heavier and shaft-driven, the Bros is much lighter and chain driven. I like them both but prefer the nakedness of the Bros.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I like the Bros, almost invulnerable to all abuse and damage… Also, without the Bros there'd be no SV650, which'd be a shame "Nice idea Honda, we'll steal it!"

Thanks for all the advice, i'd be taking the back roads if i had a 125 as i don't fancy dicing with overtaking HGVs on the way up haldon (either way), but it seems my belly may be the downfall of the cheap 125 option..

Looks like i'm stuck on the buses untill i can afford a DAS + bike etc etc

alwyn

Aprilia 125 road bikes can have the nuts tuned off them; I've known them to hit over 120mph. You just need to be able to replace the rings occasionally. They aren't that much to buy and are 2 stroke so have an awesome power band, it’s also great fun tuning them yourself and you learn about bikes. They really are a lot of fun and should do you fine. My down geared Husky 125 manages to hit 80mph but it is pretty kitted out with mx goodies.

Wiksey

UBP – The idea (from me and I'm sure the other people) wasn't to put you off completely, just advise a more sensible route into motorbiking.
    Go do your CBT and see how you get on. If you really like it and dont' find it too hard get a few lessons and some experience and go for your restricted licence.
    I did a DAS course last summer with no previous experience and passed my test with less than 4 days (9 to 5) training but didn't feel that safe when I bought a bike.
    Basically what people are trying to say is taking a slow route into biking is a safer option than going from no experience through DAS to buying a big bike so save your cash and take it easy and you'll be better off in the long run.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

"Aprilia 125 road bikes can have the nuts tuned off them; I've known them to hit over 120mph. You just need to be able to replace the rings occasionally. They aren't that much to buy and are 2 stroke so have an awesome power band, it’s also great fun tuning them yourself and you learn about bikes."

And also, if you get caught riding one on CBT you might end up in jail 💡 RS125s in L-plate legal tune are pretty horrible, you're spot on that they're brilliant at full power, never mind in a higher tune but you need a full, restricted licence for that.

alwyn

Northwind you are right, but lots of people take that risk. I'm not saying you should.

125 2 strokes are pretty hefty on fuel too. I get few an 8 litre tank in a few hours if I'm hammering it off road and it's not far off that on road.

Subscriber

I would go as you intended in terms of doing the CBT and getting a 125 – then whilst riding it take some lessons and book your DAS for the Spring. You will be a better rider than me for it!

As I said, just cos you have a full licence, doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a big bike right there and then – nothing illegal about riding a 125 without L plates with your full ticket after all!

epicsteve

There is also no need to by a really fast big bike either, as you don't need that much more power than a 125 to make the bike safer and more effective in 60/70mph limits.

One of my bikes is an old Honda XBR500 single cylinder that cost £750, is cheap to insure and would be great for the sort of commuting the OP mentioned – as well as also being quite economical (60+mpg no problem, even the way I ride).

Okay thanks again for all the advice, i will admit to liking the idea of having a 125 to practise on, even if its only for a few months..

So now with the intention of going the 125 route i need to start looking for a bike.

I have been offered a CBR125R (although id prefer a trail type bike), taxed for a year but no mot, full service history, looks clean and tidy and 11k on the clock. However he wants £1500 for it?

Just so i can get an idea of whats a fair deal (looking around at other bikes i guessing this isnt one), how much would you all think this bike is really worth and how much would a trail type bike (XR125 or similar) cost in the same condition?

Am i right in thinking the CBR is worth nearer £1000 with a trail bike being cheaper?

PeterPoddy

Okay thanks again for all the advice, i will admit to liking the idea of having a 125 to practise on, even if its only for a few months..

I think that's sensible. Ride it until you're bored and the footpegs are wearing out ( 😉 ) then do your test. You'll feel a LOT more confident. 🙂

If you want a 'sports bike' the you won't get much better than the CBR or the Yamaha equivilent. But they are rather small, so be warned. They are nowhere near as big as a 600, physically. Aprilia RS125s are lovely, but fragile, thirsty and nickable…..

Motorbikes hold their value very well. It's unlikely you'll find a nice clean 125 for much under £1000, of any age. But that works for you in the end – Keep the bike in good nick, service it, and you'll never loose much (If any) money. I've had 2 scooters and 2 125 commuters (As well as big bikes) and I doubt I've lost much more than £200 on the lot of them put together! (Profit on one, -£50 on another, -£100ish on the other 2)

Personally, I'd go the trail bike route (Or something like that Varadero) because I like them….and they do stand up well to low speed crashes! 🙂

I like them both but prefer the nakedness of the Bros

eh?

Think before you post

If you 'practice' on a 125, you'll pick up bad habits and won't ride properly, they'll be hard to break when you take your DAS. Take your DAS and you'll learn to ride properly.

A 125 won't accelerate fast enough to get you out of the sh1t and they don't have the power to drive out of U-turns or taking junctions or roundabouts. I spent 1 day on a 125, my CBT. I was more confident on a 500 than a POS 125.

I was bored of my 600 after 2 weeks and went and bought a Ducati! The power gives you confidence and the ability to get out of the sh1t. True they are dangerous in the wrong hands, if you're a d1ck she'll throw you off, treat her with respect and she'll reward you.

In short, stuff the 125, you'll hate it and when you get your more powerful bike, you'll wonder why you rode a crappy 125 for so long. Do what most of these lot tell you and you'll struggle, probably get run over and you'll look a tit as you nail it down the rode doing 60 with the bike screaming it's tits off.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike Q’ is closed to new replies.