Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Motorbike people…what is this?
  • Premier Icon sc-xc

…and where can I get one?

I saw it in a shop window. The guy said it was a replica of the Great Escape bike, but Google tells me that’s a Triumph TR6 trophy – that doesn’t look the same.

I think this looks ace, and could well be the next phase of my mid life crisis

Bike

Any idea what I should be looking for?

Premier Icon sc-xc

Ok.i can’t post picture from phone

Premier Icon The Flying Ox
    Free Member

That looks very much like a Mutt or a Bullit

Premier Icon sc-xc

Brill thank you, yep looks like it.

I love the look…

Premier Icon sc-xc

This is the one!

https://muttmotorcycles.com/pages/mutt-hilts-250-green

Free Member

Get it bought!

Premier Icon Paradiso
    Free Member

That’s a fashion accessory rather than a motorbike. There’s a limited edition Steve McQueen Rickman Metisse. That’s a bike with heritage.

Free Member

http://www.reddit.com/r/gatekeeping

In my humble opinion the term “fashion accessory” could be interpreted as something that costs 3 times as much as something else that does – in effect – the same thing, on the basis of a perceived link to something “cool”.

The RM Steve McQueen doesn’t even look like OP’s linked bike. You might as well have scoffed at OP not choosing a Norton Classic.

Premier Icon Paradiso
    Free Member

The link is Steve McQueen. A good motorbike is about more than a ‘theme’ or paint job. That’s a cheap generic four stroke with rubbish suspension that should cost peanuts, but has an ‘of the moment’ paint job and styling to lure the unwary. The Rickman Metisse has a proven motor, albeit vintage, a well designed chassis that is race proven, and suspension that works. You pay your money, you take your choice. There are many better choices for 4 grand.

Premier Icon weeksy

There’s a limited edition Steve McQueen Rickman Metisse. That’s a bike with heritage.

The MUTT despite being mass built to a low budget is likely to be more reliable !

Premier Icon timbog160

I realise the OP likes it for its looks but as a motorbike it’s S***e – poor suspension, poor brakes, terrible lighting, and will handle like a tea trolley. Also I know power isn’t everything but 21hp FFS.

Premier Icon epicyclo

timbog160

I realise the OP likes it for its looks but as a motorbike it’s S***e – poor suspension, poor brakes, terrible lighting, and will handle like a tea trolley. Also I know power isn’t everything but 21hp FFS.

Is that from experience or prejudice, ie have you ridden one?

It looks like what we used to sneeringly call a UJM, and we were wrong. They were more reliable than our exalted British bikes and had better electrics and handling varied, but none I rode were worse than a Triumph 650 (pre spine frame). I know its Chinese not Japanese, but bikes like that are getting beaten to death in the 3rd world but refusing to die.

As for 21bhp, that will get you from point to point as fast as a big bike if you ride legally.

The original Great Escape bike was fake anyway so it’s ironic knock-offs are being condemned for that. 🙂

Premier Icon timbog160

Actually my post does come across as a bit patronising on rereading for which I apologise, esp as OP was clearly asking for genuine advice. I grew up on UJMs, XJ550, GS550, 750, 850, gpz range and they were great bikes. My comparison was intended to be more to the Brit bikes they replaced. As a youth in the 80s I always thought Brit bikes were rubbish, and I really don’t understand why people have the nostalgia for them that this bike seems to embody, esp when 4 grand buys you a really nice speed triple, which is British and a far better bike! Of course people buy bikes for all sorts of reasons, as in most cases it’s a luxury item really, so yer pays yer money etc – I mean look at Harley Davidson!

Premier Icon zippykona

My friend has a bullit and it is really really tall. I have no idea why. Frequent stops in traffic could be interesting if you are of normal height.

Premier Icon epicyclo

timbog160

As a youth in the 80s I always thought Brit bikes were rubbish…

They were*. The quality of the builds dropped dramatically towards the end of the 1950s, I suspect because tooling was worn out and not replaced (yet the original Hondas were built using precision British machinery).

Their saving grace is that most were never ridden much further than the local cafe or for a blatt round the outskirts of town, and the finish was off a higher quality.

*Honourable exceptions being Vincent, Velocette, Ariel singles.

Premier Icon globalti
    Free Member

They are copying what Deus are doing; making cafe racer styled bikes.

But those tyres! They are the same tread pattern as the old Michelin XLs fitted to MOD Land Rovers, a staggered chocolate bar tread that digs down fantastically off road but slides around on wet tarmac and makes a loud buzzing sound.

Premier Icon darthpunk
    Free Member

What about an enfield? better than they used to be

Premier Icon finishthat

You can buy a Hinkley – modern Bonneville second hand for that price and not loose money ,
    those things have no resale value .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.