Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Motorbike Commuters
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’ve been riding motorbikes for 10 years now and have a various bikes since I past my test 7 years ago. But every year I have a niggling feeling I should go back to cars. ( Licence Revoked) is it really worth giving my motorbike up to get a car, I can’t have both. And after my initial confidence knock after breaking my leg back in Feb, I feel I have learnt from it and my riding has improved.

My commute is 17.2 miles from Darwen to Preston mostly motorway and costs me about 25 quid a week in petrol, insurance is £150 a year tax is £70 a year and parking is free. Now my only problems are the snow and ice days. Which means a £30 taxi journey or trying to get a lift. Is it really worth me paying £1200 a year to insure a car which is the same economy as my 600cc Suzuki and I have to get a £30 a month car parking permit.

Plus I need to spend money retaking my driving test. When I’m on my bike I really don’t want to get rid.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No. It’s not worth it. Stick with the bike.
    It’s faster and cheaper.

It would drive me insane to have to commute by car.

I use a Piaggio X10 scooter which has massive amounts of luggage space, a big fairing, ABS and traction control, and heated grips. It’s under £100 to insure, £40ish to tax and £100 for a pair of tyres. It does a true 75mpg at least and is also the best 2-up bike I’ve ever ridden. Fully auto so it’s a dream in traffic and easily enough umph from 350cc to pass any car.

anagallis_arvensis

I get these feelings from time to time. I’m a dad I need to be safe a car would be safer blah blah blah…… they soon pass.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

How do you get on in winter? I’m scared of dropping mine.

anagallis_arvensis

I go slow, have dropped it on ice at walking pace though, it improves my bikes looks tbh. If its obviously bad I I take the bicycle in the car to the mrs work.

MrSparkle

Darwen to Preston? Get it cycled! Train in winter months – odds are you’d not have to pay so quids in! ;0)
    PS Bolton fan living in Darwen and a mountain biker? Snap!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Start at 0700 Mr Sparkle at this weird town doesn’t have a train service at a normal time like say Bolton to Preston service at 0550.

Whereabouts in Darwen are you? I’m just off Railway road. And another Bolton fan, I wouldn’t shout that too loudly round here at the moment!!!!

MrSparkle

Up at Whitehall. Plenty of Bolton in Darwen. Anyway, we’ve turned a corner since yesterday – soon be romping up the league! DFSWA! :0)
    By the way, what’s the motorbike?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

The nice end of Darwen. Yeah there’s a fair few of us. Played well yesterday. Have go for a ride on the pedal bikes. Can show me the sights of Darwen. Got a Suzuki GSR 600 basically naked Gixxer 6 it’s fun. Really too much bike for a commute

enduroforever
    Free Member

Since my van blew up over a year ago I have been using an old road bike but recently bought a honda pcx 125. 130 mpg and 70mph with plenty of storage, I won’t be buying a car for work anytime soon I’m saving far too much money. Buy some good winter gear and stick it out, 2 wheels are better than 4

deviant
    Free Member

I spent 18 months without a car and only didn’t use the bike during a week of snow we had.
    I wouldn’t choose to do it again but it was so much cheaper than having a car…. My insurance on a sportsbike is cheaper than my insurance on a Hyundai Getz shopping trolley I use as a car!…. Likewise road tax for a bike is cheaper than my current car, fuel economy is about the same but there are bikes available that will do 80-100mpg if you want one solely for commuting.
    It’s not the most practical way to get around but I used to get a perverse satisfaction from riding in truly shitty weather, like it was a challenge or something… Keep the bike!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’ve got all decent gear and heated grips which I put on at winter time. My only issue is snow. But I’d have the same problem in the car. Last year they shut the m65 as it was horrendous weather. Took two hours in a taxi from Preston to Darwen. I suppose on days like that I can get hospital accomodation at work or get the train.

Frost is fine although I’m gonna get some Michelin pilot road 3’s as the Bridgestone bt14’s are gash.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike Commuters’ is closed to new replies.