Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Motor racing documentaries
  • pondo

Got an unexpected night in to myself and decided to indulge in a long-forgotten passion for motor racing documentaries. I stumbled across this old Equinox episode for starters, on early F1 turbo engines, maybe not so interesting for the technical viewer but I’m fascinated by how things used to be done, and I love the post-mortem on the dead Cosworth lump. 😀

Anything anyone else wants to share? 🙂

kilo

Grand Prix the killer years is a very good film if you can find a copy of it, it’s off the bbc I player atm

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmkpsQmsRpI[/video]

sockpuppet

Try the Motor Sport Magazine podcast – lots of current stuff, but lots to dig into in the old episodes still available on the feed. Gotta be a couple of hundred episodes now. Started in 2009!

vongassit
    Free Member

Bit late in the evening now but ” Road ” is brilliant & brutal.

slowoldman

This looks like the same one but longer:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFy0ezTOLZs[/video]

Hicksy
    Free Member

I watched that Equinox thing (I think there are at least a couple of episodes on that engine) a couple of years ago – I was struck how they were happy to spend a fair bit of time showing really nerdy stuff. Nowadays there would be loads of false jeopardy going into every break, and an aim to make it entertaining for the masses.

I’ve being trying to find the series Channel 4 did on the Africar project – the last episode is on YouTube, but would love to see the others.

Not motorsport as such, but this is worth watching – a great story…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIhGTpKTwM[/video]

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Awesome TV. Why can’t we have stuff like this these days.

Ahhh. Nostalgia for the days before dumbing down. When did the weather forecast stop have the fronts displayed? Was all fields round ‘ere etc.

ourmaninthenorth

Not completely motor racing (but there is a competition component to it): Havana Motor Club

Three_Fish
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/QOQLeqRcgKc[/video]

rocketman
    Free Member

As above
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eWKjpjnipw[/video]

joefm

Racing Legends, Journey to Le mans.

dickydutch

All brilliant recommendations.
    Any similar programmes on motorbike racing? Wife is out at book club tonight….

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

For Motorcycles I would have to 2nd Road, it is a brilliant glimpse into the insanity that is motorcycle road racing, and makes Closer to the edge (also good) look like a fairy story….
    Fast and Fastest concentrate more on the Moto GP side of things and are a good way to waste a few hours.

rocketman
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixO7k2Foa-0[/video]

dickydutch

Ive seen Road and Closer to the Edge but not “Joey”.
    Looks like a good call for tonight.

Sorry for mini thread hi-jack!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Riding Balls of Fire.

100 mins of Group B skill and power.

nickc

I thought the Senna film missed out a whole swath of what drove him, about the sort of man he was

Enjoyed the beast.

sparkov
    Free Member

‘Hunt vs Lauda: F1’s Greatest Racing Rivals’ from a few years back was really good.

136stu
    Free Member

+1 for Senna and +1 for The Beast. Also the old Steve McQueen movie Le Mans is great – obviously not a documentary but very gritty and focused on the racing for long periods without dialogue.

nedrapier

If you fancy expanding motor racing to motor sport, Six Days in May is a great little doc celebrating 100 years of the Scottish Six Days Trial.

Proper documentary, not like these “exciting” so-called “films”. 😀 Nicely put together and lovely filming by mtb cut. And reading your OP, you like your history, so this might be right up your alley. Even got Peaty in it!

dickydutch

@nedrapier – any idea where I can get this from?
    The MTBcut website doesnt seem to have it anymore, nor does vimeo have anything beyond the trailer. Any info appreciated as it’s my kind of programme that!

maccruiskeen

For something a little different look up the documentary on the 1985 Bourke to Burketown Bash

kayak23

Peaty put something about a Barry Sheene documentary the other day on faceagram. It looked awesome. Anyone know what and where it can be watched?

vongassit
    Free Member

For something completley different check out “Solo” , it’s about a guy crossing the Tasman sea in a canoe!. Yeah I know it aint motor racing but it makes riding the TT & the likes look a perfectly reasonable idea.

From the opening credits I was gripped.

eskay

Bookmarked

gibbonarms
    Free Member

If you haven’t found project binky yet, its well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/user/badobsessionmsport

dickydutch

Cheers Nedrapier.
    Duly ordered. Looking forward to getting a bit of peace to watch it now.

boblo
    Free Member

@gibbon That 4×4 mini build thread is ace. I spent most of this afternoon glued to it 🙂

gibbonarms
    Free Member

@gibbon That 4×4 mini build thread is ace. I spent most of this afternoon glued to it

Episode 15 is out tonight at 8pm.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested, there’s a BBC northern Ireland documentary on the iPlayer called Crash and burn about Tommy Byrne, a single seater driver of enormous talent, but no political acumen or financial clout.
    I enjoyed it…

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

The equinox programme was a great shout. Found it fascinating and no smarmy Hamilton in sight! I also remember flashing eeproms like they showed the cosworth guy doing in the back of the lorry,a long long time ago.

The back of the grid lola hass is still a million times more interesting than today’s front of the grid corporate bore fests.

br
    Free Member

This is good:

Not sure where you’ll find the full-length though.

Mike the Bike

Pigface
    Free Member

On any Sunday

PJM1974
    Free Member

That Equinox documentary was fascinating, I hadn’t realised the depth of talent involved in the Ford Beatrice project – spot the youthful Ross Brawn clambering all over a wind tunnel model for example.

The realisation as to how far things have moved along in thirty one years is startling. The engine blocks were investment cast made from hand carved wooden moulds – Cosworth had to employ craftsmen to transfer a drawing to carved wood accurately. Moreover, getting the engine started on the 1960s era dyno was a manual exercise to manage timing, fuel mixture etc. The car’s wings were supported by high tension cables attached to hardpoints on the chassis, which probably did nothing at all for the aerodynamics.

Seeing engineers with voltmeters trying to locate the fault preventing the cutoff switch from working was an eye-opener. Just six years later, engineers were having to plug laptops into cars to start them, deal with electronics managing active suspension, semi-automatic gearboxes and pneumatic valves.

wait4me

The Tommy Byrne documentary is on BBC4 on Monday at 9pm and is already on iPlayer. Highly recommended.

wait4me

Crash and Burn: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08jqfqx via @bbciplayer

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

What an excellent thread.

I enjoyed the Chris Harris documentary on his Spa 24 hour race.

pondo

PSA for a John Surtees documentary on BBC4 at 8 tonight, followed by Crash And Burn.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Motor racing documentaries’ is closed to new replies.