Motherboard 12v RGB versus 5v aRGB

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Motherboard 12v RGB versus 5v aRGB
  • k1100t

My son has bought himeself all the bits to build a gaming PC, from a list on PCPartsPicker. Turns out the RGB case and fan are 5v aRGB, but the motherboard only has headers for 12v RGB. Can anyone tell me if you can get some sort of PCI-e controller card that will convert a 12v RGB motherboard into a 5v aRGB one…?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Something like this perhaps?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-Port-LED-Sync-Controller/dp/B078Y3FWG2/

Check motherboard compatibility first, obvs.

k1100t

@Cougar That requires a JRAINBOW header on the MSI motherboard, this one only has a JRGB header. Evidently I need one of these, which appear to be impossible to find.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Dunno then, sorry.

Contact PCPP directly maybe? “Hey, I bought all this crap, can you sell me something to make it work?”

sobriety

Also, RBG fans are so last year, non-descript black boxes are where it’s at for 2019 gaming rigs – also less light interference making spotting things on screen easier 😉

k1100t

It’s not for me, the boy wants full on unicorns and rainbows. I just have to make it work…

PJay
    baboonz

Go to the build a pc subreddit and ask there.

Personally I would have swapped the case fans for some noctua fans, since they are incredibly quiet.

k1100t

@PJay I looked at that card, but it only provides for more 12v connections.

@baboonz It’s got a mahoosive Noctua CPU cooler, the brown fan is a bit meh…

It didn’t explode when we turned it on, which was nice. Shame you can only control the RGB by pointing the remote through the side panel. The boy is happy though, which is all that matters!

Winblows

baboonz

The brown fans are fugly( I’ve got 2) they’ve just released new ones in more palatable colours.

Glad it’s worked out it looks amazing, a lot less intrusive that what I was thinking.

The brown fans were fugly but the colour was synonymous. Like owning a turquoise Yeti I guess.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

You’ve powering the 5V LEDs with 12V? Is that not going to massively shorten their life? Could just cut the cable and solder an appropriate resistor in! Or run the lights from a separate 5V supply.

k1100t

@zilog6128 nope, the 5v connector wont go on the 12v header due to a blocked off pin socket. The aRGB stuff is just running solo without any motherboard sync. I’m going to try and track down one of those converters linked to earlier, but he’s up and running with solid green at the moment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.