Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MOT testers – Slightly binding front brake
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Seem to remember there’s a couple on here…

Front passenger brake caliper appears to be binding slightly. Noticeable heat when hand held next to wheel after a drive.

Will this fail the MOT in a couple of weeks or can I sort it out after the MOT? (car won’t be used before MOT really as I’m away a lot with work)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends what you class as slight I guess (Im not an MOT tester BTW). There’s always heat in your front wheels after a drive. If it’s pulling at all or holds your car on a slope it’s likely it’ll be flagged but maybe only as an advisory. If it’s been doing it for ages you might find your bearing is buggered by baking the grease, which will fail, but I suspect it’ll go through fine if it doesn’t jam on
    properly just before the test.

Mine was often binding but never failed until I forgot to check and they spotted the pads on that side were a bit low due to the bind. They did notice it was down on power too but it wasn’t enough to fail.

Stripped and rebuilt calipers in the end.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Doesn’t pull but heat given off is quite a bit more than the other front wheel.

Will try and find the time to sort it before MOT…I did remove the caliper and clean and copper grease the slide pins last weekend but I think it’s the caliper as it didn’t make any difference.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Take your pads out, get a G clamp and push the piston back in, then use the pedal to press it back out, do that a few times and if you can rotate the piston a little, often this will temporarily clear the issue if it’s not the slider pins. But it then obviously needs identifying why it’s sticking.

Are the pads old? Often with old pads in the pads rock the extended piston and it jams up a bit.

bigyinn
    Free Member

ck +1

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks for the info CK…I know how to try and fix it…I just don’t have time and don’t want to do it on a cold dark night.

Was just looking for an answer as to the likelyhood of MOT failure.

seizednuts
    Free Member

They need to spin the wheel to check the wheel bearing. so if it doesnt spin freely depending how much bind is happening it will fail.

tron
    Free Member

The mot station I use give you the brake tester print out. It measures for binding and miss matched breaking force across the axle.

A badly binding calliper or mismatch is a fail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MOT testers – Slightly binding front brake’ is closed to new replies.