Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • MOT of Doom – plan B – Isuzu TF crew cab pickup?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s that time of year again. My old Discovery is rusting its way happily through the boot floor. Wondering if I need a plan B.

I use the Discovery as a wheelbarrow mostly when I’m not towing trailer loads of logs. Annual mileage is somewhere between 1-2000 miles, but those are always hard working miles.

I’m after something that is capable of off road towing, so a diff lock would be handy.

I’ve seen a couple of Isuzu 3.1td TF crew cab pick ups online. They look fairly rugged with a big pick up bed and an old school DIY repairable engine. I can’t find many reviews online. Has anyone got any experience of them.

I think they are similar to the Vauxhall Brava, but it looks like they only came with a 2.5 engine.

matt_outandabout

You know the real answer is a Unimog…

Northwind

Is this going to be like last year where every 3rd thread was about your MOT Of Doom and it ended up needing one new indicator bulb or something 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have been checking out Unimogs but I can’t justify one for all I would use it for.

Last year I welded new sills and the other half of the floor to match the work I’d done on the other side the year before.

matt_outandabout

I have been checking out Unimogs

benji
    Free Member

Isuzu’s seem in the main good come MOT time, lot of rear shackle bushes and the odd front ball joint but other than that not normally an issue, and all the ones we see, get agricultural usage.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Tractors what you need surely? 😆

Harry_the_Spider
    gummikuh

Why not spend a little on the discovery?
    Is it a mark I or II?
    I always thought this is a good way to go:

http://www.longranger.net/page4/page3/files/page3-1001-full.html

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mine is a 1995 M reg 300tdi Discovery. If it’s just the boot floor that needs attention then I think it will be worthwhile. The inner wings don’t look too bad and the body mounts look sound. Mechanically is ok.

There is an 2002 Isuzu just up the road from me for around £1400 with under a hundred thousand miles on it. It would be ideal with a hard top.

I will get the Discovery booked in for its test and see what the damage is likely to be.

Liking the Stalwart though, supermarket parking might be a challenge.

matt_outandabout

There is too much fun on the link that Harry put up.

What smoke bombs for Waitrose car park?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

As a slight hijack,

What you doing with it if it fails Mcmoonter?

TheDTs
    Free Member

I have a ’99 ford ranger crew cab for sale if you want it? Bristol, though..

trail_rat
    Free Member

peter.

go look up spares for isuzu.

No where near as easy to find or cheap as they are for landys there is also alot less cross compatibility across models/engines.

How ever i do reckon the isuzu is the thinking mans jap pick up.

timber

Sounds like it just needs the boot to match the other parts you’ve done.
    Otherwise a 110 Hi-cap to put the 300tdi in.

Isuzu will also rot at a similar rate and as tr mentioned, parts are a bit thin on the ground compared to the Land Rover.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely:

-1 Disco
    +1 tractor
    +1 normal car

?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve booked it in for it’s MOT on Tuesday morning. I had a quick squint at the price of panels for the boot floor, if the whole floor needs doing it’s less than £200, if it’s just the centre panel it’s only £50. As Trailrat says, the parts to repair it are cheap and easily available.

Oli, in the past my local scrap yard has bought my old 4x4s for export to Africa, they’ve usually paid me around £500.

I have a ’99 ford ranger crew cab for sale if you want it? Bristol, though..

Got any pics and details?

Timber, I’ve had a look at a couple of HiCaps on ebay buy they are getting expensive.

Molegrips, the Discovery is actually better for off road towing than my Fergie. The loader puts a lot of weight on the front axle which reduces grip to the rear wheels, maybe if it had newer tyres it would grip better, but for all I use it for new tyres would be an extravagance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive never done a boot floor on a disco – but whats to stop you making a CAD template and cutting it out of sheet and welding on a few ribs to give it the strength of the pressed panel ?

timber

Not surprised, probably shouldn’t have sold the work Hi-cap, the HD springs made it a good tow vehicle as well as.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

ive never done a boot floor on a disco – but whats to stop you making a CAD template and cutting it out of sheet and welding on a few ribs to give it the strength of the pressed panel ?

For fifty quid for the right panel it’s hardly worth making it myself. I never really carry much of a load in the back, just chainsaws and tow ropes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fair enough , have you lifted the carpet and taken a look ? – often its not the floor thats rotted its the seem between the inner arch and boot floor.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I’ll send you some.
    It’s been ours since it had 5000 miles on it, recently ( 2000m ago) had a refurbished engine and new clutch.
    It’s done 175k, recently had a paint job but that was a bit of a cheap job and not great.
    12 months MOT and I’ll chuck some logs in the back for good measure!
    Only reason we’re getting rid is that it’s a bit tatty for our line of work.
    I’ll swap it for a painting?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ll send you some.
    It’s been ours since it had 5000 miles on it, recently ( 2000m ago) had a refurbished engine and new clutch.
    It’s done 175k, recently had a paint job but that was a bit of a cheap job and not great.
    12 months MOT and I’ll chuck some logs in the back for good measure!
    Only reason we’re getting rid is that it’s a bit tatty for our line of work.
    I’ll swap it for a painting?

Sounds ideal, I will see what the verdict is come Tuesday and get back to you.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have a 2009 Isuzu D-Max. It’s a Hi-Lander (raised version) and an extended cab.

3.0L, RWD but with a diff lock and an upgraded turbo.

It’s our family ‘car’ so going to the beach, shopping, school run etc. Also done a couple of road trips of approx 3,000km each. It’s used for transporting bikes, helping neighbours move stuff, getting home in monsoon season (“quick, google the max wading depth”) and occasionally, driving home “the bumpy way” when the boys are in the back and the wife’s not!

In the three years we’ve had it, it’s needed a fuel pump and filter. The big pipe from the exhaust system to the turbo needed to be replaced and a rubber/metal part of the front steering/suspension assembly (£45). Other than that, touch wood, nothing but oil and diesel.

They’re thirsty. A full tank does about 500 miles. About 50% better if used for long motorway journeys.

It’s as refined to drive and many cars.

The chain driven engine (so I’m told) is easy to work on and will outlast me.

Reversing visibility is a nightmare. Often need my head out the window, looking back like a lorry driver.

We love ours.

Do consider a full rear canopy, otherwise, it’s ‘bootless’.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

boblo
    Free Member

TheDTs – Member
    I’ll swap it for a painting

I’ll wager you won’t… Unless it’s postage stamp size 😀

TheDTs
    Free Member

Mcmoonter, Photos.
    Pictures
    Boblo, Sadly I think you may be correct but I was trying to entice him with some extra logs for his collection..

ononeorange

I can’t add to this really, except to say that I had a Vauxhall years ago that had an Isuzu engine – it was s***e, seized solid in 60,000 miles. Replacement wasn’t cheap or easy, either.

wicki
    Free Member

You may find the izuzu has a lousy turning circle.

rangerbill

Vauxhall Brava, we used to have them at work *shudder. It got scrapped because the chassis rotted away. They made the Landrover feel like a RollsRoyce. I’m sure the newer isuzu’s are better, but then they couldn’t actually be any worse, wind noise, gutless, dreadful off road…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Miracle of miracles, it passed!

It had only done 2050 miles since last year, the same tester went over it and only found a bit more surface rust on the body but nothing that compromised it’s safely. A couple of scratched indicator lenses and a couple of bushes at the rear to consider for next year.

woody2000

Somebody knows you well….

Is this going to be like last year where every 3rd thread was about your MOT Of Doom and it ended up needing one new indicator bulb or something

🙂

leffeboy

It’s not Christmas until the first McMoonter MOT thread 🙂
    My car failed last week because I’d just put on the winter tyres and put them on the wrong way round. Arse 🙁

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘MOT of Doom – plan B – Isuzu TF crew cab pickup?’ is closed to new replies.