• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by pondo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mot cost
  • redmex
    Free Member

I took a car for an MOT today £64
    £10 to sanitise the car so they say added to the £54 full cost they charged
    No mention of this beforehand just a small note amongst many things to read
    Nobody wearing masks but so scared we catch covid

butcher

What does sanitising involve? Sounds like a scam to me.

ajantom

What does sanitising involve?

Clearing the Maccy D cartons, monster energy cans, and empty rizla packs out of the footwell?
    😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustyNissanPrairie

How old/mileage of the car and did it pass?
    The £10 straight into the garages pocket might have been worth it!

timba
    Free Member

The charge for an MoT test is fixed at a maximum of £54.85
    If they can’t MoT the car (and the closest criteria in this case is “The condition of the vehicle is such that, in the opinion of the tester, a proper examination would involve a danger of injury to any person or damage to the vehicle or other property.”) then they must refuse to test and return your full fee
    Did they charge you for wear and tear to the garage doors, their ramp and other equipment used?
    Complain to DVSA

StuF

Think my one a few weeks ago was around £40. £220 for a MOT and service on a 09 plate galaxy with 165k on the clock – I was happy with that

redmex
    Free Member

They charged an extra £8 + vat to spray the inside of the car supposedly, that took the cost from £54.85 up to £64.45 without pre warning me.

tomhoward

Small claims court.

I may not be being totally serious.

frankconway

Was it sanitised due to covid?
    If so, that’s bollocks; leave car doors open for 15 mins before testing.
    They’re having a laugh; if they didn’t tell you when you booked or arrived and you didn’t agree that’s a scam.
    A tenner on every car being MOT’d by them – nice!

seriousrikk

I would certainly never use that establishment again.

Then again, I would have argued the extra tenner as being unreasonable.

tomhoward

Being more serious now, are you sure there wasn’t a sign up they can easily point to saying that’s what they would do to any car they worked on. Seems not worth it for them not to, given the amount of hassle they must get from people querying it after they added it. I understand most people wouldn’t question it, but I bet it’s a regular thing.

Wait,

No mention of this beforehand just a small note amongst many things to read

Was that note given to you beforehand?

fossy

Cheeky feckers !

theotherjonv

Many questions!

Is it an indie or a chain?

Are you sure it wasn’t mentioned before somewhere?

Who pays full whack for their MOT? There’s always an offer on….the only time to pay full price is if you are worried about getting scammed for repairs in which case take it to the council depot who will MOT but don’t do repairs so have no benefit to making up spurious work.

Company does have a duty of care to its employees, so making sure cars are clean and Covid free could be considered reasonable. How they do that and whether you should pay is another matter (but don’t make this an anti-covid rant, it is still a real thing)

Not wearing masks – maybe their RA considers the risk from employees to be minimised now whereas the wider public may still be less easy to control. Perhaps you could have asked them to if you wanted?

theotherjonv

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-mot-centre-and-tester-guidance

Says open windows to ventilate (but was also withdrawn a year ago as no longer valid)

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

As above, the MOT fee is fixed by Govt. If they are charging more you’re being ripped off. If they’re charging less then they make up the difference in “repairs”. Some places with will only do genuine repairs, others not.

revs1972
    Free Member

The max fee is £54.85 ( standard car)
    They can not charge more than this for the actual MoT.
    The garage pays £2.05 for the MoT slot, so they can charge anywhere between the 2 values.

tomhoward

But can they charge £9.60 for cleaning your car first/after as a separate service/separate line on the invoice?

pondo

£35 at our local, and nothing is ever added on without them calling to check first. It’s a good garage. 😀

butcher

But can they charge £9.60 for cleaning your car first/after as a separate service/separate line on the invoice?

Assuming the sanitisation is to protect employees, it’s not a service. It’s the employer carrying out their duty to protect staff. They’re ripping you off.

If it is sanitised on the way out, then you would expect to be able to opt out, as that’s the customers choice.

It’s the equivalent of Lidl giving you a bill at the checkout for the sanitiser you used on the way in. And/or insisting you use (and pay) for it on the way out.

jamiemcf

@pondo

£35 at our local, and nothing is ever added on without them calling to check first. It’s a good garage. 😀

Do they wind the clock back a bit each time too!

pondo

Do they wind the clock back a bit each time too!

Heh! I have never checked. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts