Most weatherproof flat shoes?

Home Forum Bike Forum Most weatherproof flat shoes?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Most weatherproof flat shoes?
  • Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

I have just bought my first pair of flat pedals since 1994 after getting fed up of iced up spds and cleats. I have been riding in some old stiffish soled trainers with a goretex lining which work reasonably well but are past it really. What proper flat shoes will give me good foot protection and as much weatherproofing as possible? Or am I asking for the moon on a stick and should just look for some newer KSB type equivalent?

Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

I am using Shimano AM 41’s with sealskinz with a thin pair of sock underneath, they have been good enough in the snow, but not as good as the cleated MW80’s.

Edit. They are really bad to walk in esp. in the snow and ice due to to the flat soles.

avdave2

Exactly the same as righog for me. Not as weatherproof as mw80’s but I actually find them warmer.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

My Sombrio X-Shazams are proving good so far, definitely better than my AM40s were- most splash resistant shoe i’ve worn and quite warm. Slightly higher top too but not enough to interfere. Still not as good as a SPD winter boot though ๐Ÿ™ They’re grippy, though they feel like they might be a bit pedal-specific, they lock onto the pins rather than feeling like they’re sticking on if you know what I mean.

They’re terrible looking things- the black ones have a mesh top, only the charcoal has the full leather and it’s a manky bruise-purple. Not sure how much difference the mesh makes. But totally worth it.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Salomon Gortex lined somethings – you can get some ‘mid’ ones, so not quite the old KSB high collar, but some support, bash protection and puddle-over-topping resistance.
    I have XA Pro 3D, they are non-snow walking boot of choice, if a little flexible for cycling in, but an 4d, quest or Viaggio would be stiffer….

benzi

the best thing to get are a pair of waterproof socks, and a set of 5ten shoes. The sealskinz dont stop water getting in exactly….. but keep your feet warm when they do get wet, basically like a wetsuit for your feet. Its the way to go. You will never keep the water out fully on really wet days.
    I would combine that with some waterproof shorts.

rob jackson

i have always had cold feet with sealskinz when water gets in, never any of this wetsuit bollocks

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I honestly have no clue why anyone would recommend 5 10 in this thread! Great shoes but really not weatherproof. Freeriders are better than Impacts at least, but they’re still made with no thought to winter at all.

benzi

Yeah fair point about the five ten, I just like their grippy sole. I just cant really ride with another pair of shoes now that I am use to them. The sealskinz are ok for me, I never really get cold feet except when they are soaked so the sealskinz just stop them from getting super cold if you know what I mean.

rob jackson – Member
    i have always had cold feet with sealskinz when water gets in, never any of this wetsuit bollocks

+1 – Sealskinz are rubbish.

mamadirt

Another vote for AM41s here – warm too.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

All I can say about sealskinz is that sometimes I think “my feet still got cold / wet”, and then on the next ride I don’t use them, and that next ride is always far far worse. It’s not about the water that gets in, it’s about the water that didn’t.

svalgis

5.10 Karver is weatherproof enough IME. -10C is not a big deal with decent socks.

Premier Icon Stiggy
    Subscriber

I used to wear Sealskinz but once the water got in I was sloshing around with cold feet, now i use merino socks and though wet quicker my feet are warmer ๐Ÿ™‚
    Oh and I use AM41s

benzi

Hi Northwind, is the grip on the sombrios comprable to the five tens?
    they don’t look great, but I would like to try a new boot. I have a few airs of fivetens, the only boot I have are impacts but they are so heavy and manage to absorb water too.

johnellison

rob jackson – Member

Sealskinz are the dogs danglies. If you’re still getting cold feet when you’re wearing them then your shoes are too tight/tightly fastened.

As for them leaking – ball-cocks. They only get water inside them if you go over the tops. If you get calf-length Mid Lites this rarely happens unless your wading through rivers.

jedi

i have never found weatherproof flats. ๐Ÿ™

I’ve only used them 3 or 4 times but each time on a wet ride and on my Tevas, you can see the water beading on the top of them and I’ve had dry feet at the end of the ride. Not sure how long that’ll last and I’ll get some waterproof socks to use with them at some point but I bought the Tevas after reading reviews that they were a lot more water resistant than the 5.10s.

Before this I had the older Shimanos (AM40s?) with the big flap thing over the laces and they were really really good. Just looked a bit goofy and if it was really wet then water still got in…

rob jackson

johnellison – Member
    rob jackson – Member

Sealskinz are the dogs danglies. If you’re still getting cold feet when you’re wearing them then your shoes are too tight/tightly fastened.

As for them leaking – ball-cocks. They only get water inside them if you go over the tops. If you get calf-length Mid Lites this rarely happens unless your wading through rivers.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Have you ever ridden anywhere other than a damp towpath!! Water gets over easily when you splash thru puddles and it runs down inside the socks. At penmachno the water was free running and my socks had to be emptied every 10 mins or so. Ice cold water held IN by the socks. As for my shoes being too tight, again horse shite!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I’ve got the Sombrio Shazams.

Not as grippy as Five Ten shoes, but good enough. Very slippy walking on mud.

Much more water resistant. About the same, warmth-wise.

rob jackson – what sort of sealskinz you got?

Normal ones make my feet freeze too, but the thermals keep them reasonably toasty.

stevede

My winter crap weather combo is either my shimano am41’s or teva links. The links I use more on my long xc rides and when it’s really wet as they are the fastest to dry out, they aren’t as grippy as the competition but I’ve not had any problems with them. Both of these options tend to be teamed up with knee length seal skins as they are much better at keeping the water out (even more so if your knee pads overlap the cuff). My favourite shoes when weather isn’t an issue though are my 5.10 freeriders but they don’t often come out in winter.

Premier Icon tomtomthepipersson
    Subscriber

Salomon Gortex lined somethings

These work for me. Got to be the ones with the soft sole though. Dead grippy, waterproof and pretty good for walking in when you need to get off and push.

Mine get treated pretty badly – often left to fester after muddy rides but a quick hose down and they come up looking almost new. My last pair lasted about 3 years before the pedal pins ripped the sole to shreds.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I bought some Lake MX102’s (I think) before Christmas, haven’t done vast amounts of riding in them over the winter but have been out in snow and very wet conditions. The outer is ripstop softshell so is pretty waterproof and they have a Vibram sole so are decent for walking in the mud and wet rocks as well.

They are not exactly flat pedal shoes, more trekking type shoes and i am using them with cleats but you don’t have to. Narrow fitting though so could be worth going up a size, I like them though, but before them i was using Etnies skate shoes and DMR V8’s though.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

these with a set of the knee length sealskins……….awesome toasty dry feet……..even with raynaud’s syndrome…… 8)

rob jackson

mid calf merino lined

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

benzi – Member

Hi Northwind, is the grip on the sombrios comprable to the five tens?
    they don’t look great, but I would like to try a new boot.

I reckon they both come under “more than enough grip” but they do it a bit differently, 5 10s feel sticky while the sombrios feel a bit more formed onto the pins- glue vs lego ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have a feeling they might be a wee bit choosier about pedals , 5 10s will stick to anything but these might need a half-decent spike… but on my nanos and mg1s they’re good enough that I’ve just never thought about grip at all.

I like ’em. Remains to be seen how long they last though.

rob jackson – Member

Have you ever ridden anywhere other than a damp towpath!! Water gets over easily when you splash thru puddles and it runs down inside the socks

Honestly not what I find… My oldest pair are a bit shagged now and they do leak fairly badly but I reckon it’s still better than the alternative. (I might poke a hole in the toes to let the water out!) But, the other pair’s fresher and they do a good job. I picked up a set of longer ones this year and they’re better still.

They’re cold worn alone, mind, but a merino inside works better than either merino by itself or sealskinz by themselves.

OTOH I tried some Gore ones and they were orrible- just not foot shaped.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Or am I asking for the moon on a stick and should just look for some newer KSB type equivalent?

You could just get some KSB’s. ๐Ÿ™‚

About ยฃ50.00 from Sports Direct, it you fancy a bit of old school.

Shimano & Sealskins here though.
    I buy ’em a size big for the Sealskins & just stick an extra footbed in during the summer.

banks

+1 sealskins being bollocks

merino sock + wool walking socks + five10 freeriders = warm feet

Premier Icon spacehopper
    Subscriber

I wear Ordinary Vans Rowley currently.. with looseish laces and some brasher 4 season merino walking socks.. keeps my cold feet warmer than most stuff..

I cover the vans in nikwax shoe water proofing stuff now and again which does quite a good job at keeping most of the water out but it obviously comes in a little through vent holes and stuff in the worst conditions..

heihei

I had a crack at creating my own. I bought a pair of Inov8 walking boots off Ebay and then had them resoled with 5-10 sticky dot rubber. In one way they work really well – being goretex they are waterproof, and the 5-10 rubber sticks v well. I also got them half a size bigger than usual so can wear a couple of pairs of socks so really warm.
    Sadly though, they don’t work as I’d hoped, in that in really wet conditions, esp with deep puddles, the water goes in over the top and then can’t get out again! As a result, you end up riding along in a pair of mini-paddling pools! Solution to this would be a pair of mini gaiters, but then it’s all starting to become a bit convoluted.
    I can’t believe someone like 5-10 don’t make a decent set of winter / waterproof shoes or boots, that are the flat-pedal equivalent of Shimano / Northwave etc boots.

Premier Icon trusty
    Subscriber

5.10 Karvers here, although I’m not sure if you can still get them? Sealskins underneath as well. 5.10 also do a fairly weatherproof boot, it’s marketed as something for digging in (I think) but it’s got a bike sole on it. Mate has a pair, and while they do look very frankenboot they do keep his feet warm and dry.

Edit – they’re called the Diddie Schneider. Also the Karver’s are still listed, which is strange as the UK importers told me they’d been discontinued…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Most weatherproof flat shoes?’ is closed to new replies.