Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Most tube changes in a single ride?
  • sandwicheater

Three last night on my way home over just shy of 14 miles.

That’s a record for me.

To be fair, one turned out to be already punctured (must have left it in my bag from last puncture to take home to the bin) but only found out after changing it, grrrrrr!

Need to consider changing my road set up to tubeless.

What’s your record?

honourablegeorge

In the last 10 years or so, I’d say one. Only ever put a tube in as a last resort

acidchunks

My personal best is 5 pinch flats whilst riding the Macc Forest loop

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carlos
    Free Member

I think it was 9, could be 8 and that was in a single ride, same rider over in Morocco 😯

He was running tubes (obviously) and was pretty unlucky with the needle like thorns over there, mainly due to line choice. Luckily we had plenty of tubes, patches, suncream, water and snacks

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Ahh those pre-tubeless days – remember 1 ride with a mate going down a v loose stony bridleway descent and he got 2 punctures (1 in each wheel) and I had one. Track was about 400m long, so 1 per 130m is my record!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Try working as a guide. I did 13 tube changes on 1 descent once in the Pyrenees. Not a single one of them on my own bike. Mountain Morph pumps are a godsend!

scotroutes

I’ve done three on a gravel ride in the Trossachs!

Milkie
    Free Member

In Pila my buddy got 6 punctures! First one was punctures on both wheels, while fixing it 2 Germans also got punctures in the same place on tubeless. The next 3 runs he got 4 more punctures! I had selective hearing that day, I just couldn’t hear him say “**** Puncture Again!” 😆

That week he got punctures daily and it became the norm for him to fix innertubes at lunch.

twisty

I did once ride on a path next to a thorn bush and been trimmed, this resulted in 1 tube change and 15 patch repairs on the other: I had to cut my patches into pieces as I didn’t have enough.

When I am riding by myself I only carry one spare tube so only one tube change max.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Four, on a commute, with one spare tube, last repair wouldn’t seal (last patch, too) so had to stop every 1/4 mile and pump the bugger back up. Was quite late.

avdave2

2 in 800m on one ride home

sandwicheater

Three looking pretty good compared to some of you lot.

13 in one descent. I’d be getting a tad miffed by then.

mcj78
    Free Member

Got a beauty on deliverance at GT culminating in 3 destroyed tubes & a ruined afternoon – the initial jaggy rock burst the tube then the resusltant 30m or so of ploughing through subsequent jaggy rocks before I managed to stop turned the inner tube into streamers. Then I couldn’t get the shitting tyre off (Rocket ron), snapping my 2 tyre levers in the process, then I burst the new tube (twice) with the flat screwdriver on my multitool trying to get it back on. Then my pump broke. Then I tried the spare spare tube that had been lying at the bottom of my bag for ages & flagged down a passing chap for a shot of his pump (broke one of his tyre levers too in fact!) only to discover i’d nicked that one getting it back on too…

zinaru
    Free Member

i had two recently within 250m of each other. had a bit of tantrum. bloody hawthorns.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

😆 @ mcj78 – One of them days when launch your stuff back into the Audi/T5/nearest bush and go **** this shit.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Had 6 on the trossachs ton sportive. I run quite deep section rims and only carried 2 tubes with me, no one had a spare (marshal included) so i was begging off passing riders and a passing bike shop van took pity on me and gave me a couple . Turns out i had ripped the tyre a wee bit on the first puncture… made it home but over 1h30 stopped. I even made the marketing afterwards…

monkeyboyjc

In the last ten years 1 on the fat bike and two on the road bike (regular mtb’s tubeless).
    Prior to tubeless I’d say about 3.

qwerty
    Free Member

I rode through a load of horse in NZ once, never again. I lost count of the holes.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Guiding – 13 in a morning. XC-orientated club who were all running 1.8″ tyres and light-weight tubes.

Personally – Rode Ben Lomond years ago (pre-tubeless). Went up late in the evening in the summer to avoid the walkers. Started the descent around 9pm. By the time I got half-way down, I’d gone through 3 spare tubes, 3 or 4 patches, a couple of goes at tying knots in tubes and eventually rode the rest of the way down on the rim. Got home about 1am and ordered a tubeless wheelset before even going to bed…

milky1980
    Free Member

Was in Chatel for a week last year with a mate who’s known for getting punctures. Every night he’d be repairing tubes back at base. The record was IIRC 7 tubes in one day, including one puncturing on the ski lift 😆

I’ve had the shame of calling for a lift back many years ago after I went through 4 tubes and eventually a tyre doing the Beacons Gap.

warpcow
    Free Member

5 on one ride; two new tubes followed by Three patches. That’s what pushed me to tubeless. Since then I’ve had two ripped tyre and one catasrophic burp in about 7yrs.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Morden to Wembley Park, can do it with just one change

martymac

Two at the same time, then another after about 100m, then walked 5 miles home.
    **** farmer who has decided that he doesn’t want cyclists using a marked footpath.
    Or walkers.
    Or anyone.
    Good gameplan though, i haven’t been back there.
    16 holes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Most tube changes in a single ride?’ is closed to new replies.