• This topic has 38 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by irc.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Most secure bike lock to take on a ride?
  • ElShalimo

I’m looking for a new bike lock to take on rides..lock up bike at cafes/pubs etc. Ideally not too heavy and sold secure standard. If it can fit in a frame bag or handlebar bag that’d be great

Any recommendations?

dudeofdoom

Its a tricky one,I’ve used a hiplok D lock when I want something a bit meatier than something to just stop people wheeling the bike away but its not the lightest.

They even have a funky one now that can’t be cut by a grinder.

Ive used the liteloks but tbh I found them fiddly (not the one you wear thou)

submarined
    Free Member

Whatever you feel least comfortable with imo.
    My attitude is that any cable lock will be cut through easily with bolt croppers, and a D Lock/chain will be heavy and bulky, would last longer, but still not longer against a battery grinder.
    Therefore the one that makes me feel least safe will make me most inclined to not let my bike out of reach.

tjagain

Only a d lock with a minimum of a 16mm shackle is any good against proper tools. Mine weighs 2.5kg

For what you describe i use a decent padlock and cable. Cable round something solid thru tbe wheels and padlocked thru the chainring. Weighs 700g and will stop a casual thief but anyone with decent tools will be thru it in 5seconds.

Sold secure is marketing and little to do with actual security

sync
    Free Member

What type/cost of bike?

We plan our rides and pit stops to fit in round the bikes these days after thefts from cars, vans, lockers, all mainstream locks plus other losses out of our riding co group during cafe/lunch breaks etc

Bike cost more than £600ish, its not worth leaving

continuity
    Free Member

Did a bit of research and came up with these two:

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/accessories/locks/abus-bordo-lite-6055-selle-royale-bracket-lock__34309?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=AB-78063-9

https://www.bikester.co.uk/abus-web-1200-60-chain-lock-M132207.html?vgid=G338142&cgid=37007

Both locks to dissuade rather than total stop an attacker. Both fit inside bikepacking bags so could be taken on a long ride (basically you turn up to a shop that won’t let you in to buy food and want to lock it up, or lock it whilst you sleep next to it).

Any experience?

TiRed

Kryptonite Evolution Mini 5. It’s the smallest proper D lock and I use mine in London. Will lock through a bike stand and the rear triangle. My bike is fixed wheel folder so it’s hard to disassemble without tools.

It’s not light. For normal rides I don’t take a lock and don’t leave my bikes. For the trike, I add a 2m cable to loop through the three wheels.

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/002062.html?type=bicycle

Edit. I used that little abus covered chain to lock my bike at a CX race to a stand. I wouldn’t leave it for any time out in the real world. It won’t last against some hidden croppers.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I picked up one of these for when I’m just running to the shops.

SSG rated. The cable is only a deterrent of course but it’s a good compromise of size and weight.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/kryptolock-mini-d-bike-lock-and-4-flex-cable-lock-set/_/R-p-X8535017?mc=8535017

ElShalimo

@sync – new fancy pants Ti gravel bike hence now much more concerned about mid ride stops

I’ve got a Pragmasis d-lock and massive chain but that’s for locking in the garage or at a holiday cottage. I couldn’t take it on a ride

eyestwice
    Free Member

@ElShalimo

So the rest of the thread is irrelevant? 🤔

ElShalimo

Not really. I want to lock the bike up leaving it fairly secure. If we stop the bikes are usually in our view. I don’t want to carry 10+kg of security kit on a ride

I’m not going to avoid doing nice things because there are bad people in the world

tjagain

If there is more than one of you thenno locks and somone stays next to the bike.

Thats what i do

el_boufador

Lightweight anti theft strategies. Can be combined to suit.

Thin cafe locks.

Clip helmet straps around bike and post.

For the above it’s better if you have multiple riders/helmets. Might be easy to cut through, but very inconvenient/time consuming for a theif

Take front wheel off and take it with you so bike can’t be ridden away and has to be physically carried.

Make a pile of bikes all tangled together. They’re a git to untangle. May (will) knacker paintwork.

Keep it in eyeshot

Or a big heavy lock or 2. Kind of defeats the point of a nice light bike though unfortunately.

ciquta
    Free Member

I got Abus Bordo

decent protection, it’s not the lightest but if you are after bikepacking it can be strapped easily under the downtube keeping the CG low

abus bordo

ElShalimo

Thanks @ciquta

duncancallum

I cane to say that abus

They do an alarm version too

CheesybeanZ

What does your insurance T&C say ?

ElShalimo

I think it says stay at home

🤦

I need to change that too

dyna-ti

Im using the Abus Bordo Granit X-plus 6500, the 85cm length. Its going to stop everything bar a cordless angle grinder.

They cost between 75-80 quid and weighs 1.6kg

plus-one

Another vote for evo mini 5 🙂

ElShalimo

What do you guys use when cycle touring?

intheborders
    Free Member

I just use one of these, and attach it to something immovable.

Note, I wouldn’t leave the bike locked with this and ‘walk away’, just into a cafe etc with the bike in a safe-ish place.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hiplok-z-lok-combo-security-tie/rp-prod177822

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m a fan of two smaller locks, its more faff for a crim to deal with.

ciquta
    Free Member

the security ziplock is a good idea but from the reviews it looks like it wasn’t done right

same goes for the Ottolock

supernova

I leave a Giant Surelock Air Loop Combination Cable Lock in my spares kit all the time since it weighs nothing.

It’s perfect for just stopping some chancer running off with your bike when you’re in a shop etc. I figure that anyone who’s wandering round with tools to defeat a proper lock is going to get my bike whether I’m carrying around 2kg of extra metal or not.

tjagain

A bolt cropper proof d lock has saved my bike 3 times.

continuity
    Free Member

The ottolock hex is significantly better.

TiRed

No thanks. This guy is excellent. I’ll stick with my D lock. Used again today in town.

ElShalimo

Home insurance updated

I’m going to use my small Pragmasis D lock without the big chain. (The solution was sat on the home office floor looking at me)

If it’s too small or too heavy I’ll get a different one for rides

continuity
    Free Member

@tired

I’m not sure lpl videos are much use as evidence that a lock should or shouldn’t be used. The bloke could break four sequential gold kryptonites in about 20 seconds.

Nor are you really getting the point. Not sure the OP wants to carry 3kg of fagheddaboitit in his handlebar bag.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You don’t need to be LPL to know a glorified ziplock is a pile of shit.

I mean, that Abus Bordo Granit X-plus 6500 was done over with just a nut splitter and a ratchet, the difference being he had to strip the plastic outer to find the weak point first. Once he did it took a good minute or so of screwing and a hefty bang when the rivet popped (if you’ve ever seen a tensile test that’s exactly how it went).

Compare and contrast to cutting inside 5 seconds if you go for it right, including time to line up the jaws. If someone was dressed the part and targeted a known cafe stop they could be gone before anyone was any the wiser.

TiRed

carry 3kg of fagheddaboitit in his handlebar bag.

Hence my suggestion. Silver rated, small and provides most of the protection of the mighty yellow D lock for about a third of the weight and half the price. Mine sits in the briefcase pannier or mtx rack top box side pocket on the trike.

None of the cafe locks will defeat the bike thief dressed in Lycra with cutting equipment like snips in their back pocket. Which is why I never leave my bike unattended out on a ride. The D lock works in what is a renowned bike theft hot spot when I take a ride into town (Windsor) and leave the bike or trike unattended to go shopping.

ElShalimo

The LPL videos are just weird. I get that he’s showing that some locks are just crap but it also shows someone how to break/destroy the lock and he sells the lock picks he’s designed

continuity
    Free Member

He’s not showing some locks are crap, he’s showing that all locks are crap.

I think the use case here is; I’m out on a long distance ride and I need to buy food in a shop and they won’t let me take my bike in for 5 mins.

Even at 1.5kg, i’m not carrying that kryptonite on a Bikepacking trip.

I don’t have a hexband, the abus 1200 is what I use for this (I have a big D and cable for locking my cheap runabout bike inside central Leeds) – but tempted by the mini abus bordo as you basically need a big set of croppers and floor leverage (or a portable angle grinder) – and if you have that you’re getting through most things…

squirrelking
    Free Member

it also shows someone how to break/destroy the lock and he sells the lock picks he’s designed

Not sure what’s weird about that, it just shows exactly what anyone with any mechanical aptitude could find out in a very short time. Better you know the flaws surely?

As for selling picks, they’re very much variations on a very common theme, the exception being his disc detainer pick that’s not for sale, probably because nobody else has designed one (so no need to counter them).

Think of it like open source antivirus, in this case open source pen testing.

too bloody old
    Free Member

My User name says it all !! Ive been around since the term “Mountain Bike” was ever used .Ive toured across Africa twice , down the Nile once and around Iceland 34 years ago. Never took a lock ! Living IN london for sometime and have seen both sides of Bike crime . I dont like locks… full stop .And since 18v grinders and marine hydro chain cutters are easy to carry .Combined with the almost ridiculous amount of violence thieves are prepared to use . Its almost a question of “common sense ” DO you let the bike go when confronted by thieves who have weapons and WILL use them ? Or do you take a chance and end up really messed up? I always stay close to my bikes .If necessary I will drop the chain off and undo the steering stem .Takes seconds , makes it a nightmare for them to “Hit and run” .I accept that when with a bike i need to adapt to suit my security and that of the bike .I dont need to go into a shop for 10 mins etc . My rides are planned .Locks to thieves are no more than a 15 second hinderance . Ive seen thieves “front” some big guys when they stole 3 expensive bikes and the guys lost in the end due to the sheer ‘shock and awe” of it all . Dont put a lot of faith in locks… think further . Domestic and Van security etc of bikes is very different !

stevextc
    Free Member

it also shows someone how to break/destroy the lock and he sells the lock picks he’s designed

The thieves already know all this… TBH anyone thinking their bike is secure left out of sight with whatever lock should watch..

perhaps 90% of your bike value will come off without touching the lock with a couple of allen keys… or failing that just cut the frame in half or whatever its locked to (unless its carbon then its presumably safe as the thieves won’t want to be breathing the carbon dust) OK thats a bit tongue in cheek but the point is really determined professionals will get your bike or just take the expensive bits off if noone is looking… so the best you can really do is deter a casual opportunist.

tjagain

My kryptonite m18 has aaved my bike 3 times. Once found it with boltcropper marks on it. Once they stole the cheaper bike next to it as that was easier to nick with a crap lock and once found the bike part dismantled. They were obviously disturbed while trying to take parts. Nowt was missing.

Yes all locks can be broken but a proper d lock is proof against most theives tools

Needs to be double locking with a minimum of 16 mm thick shackle

irc

I use one of these. A 500g D Lock. Obviously not as secure as bigger D locks but much better than a cable. Light and small enough to carry in a seat pack. Out of production now.

Ortre BI5 Bike Lock – Original

But I prefer parking my bike where I can see it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.