Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Most ridiculously overpriced piece of bike bit
  • Leku
    Free Member

And anything that USE have ever made.

I disagree.

Use Atom carbon riser bar £59

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/3861/USE_Atom_Carbon_Riser_Bar

njee20
    Free Member

And anything that USE have ever made.

Disagree +1, Alien Carbon on my road bike still going strong after many years, and Exposure lights are great.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Rockshox forks – just a few aluminium tubes, rods, bits of plastic a few ml of oil and a bunch of O rings. Always amazes me how little there is in there and how simple they are when I service them, considering the cost.

Oh and ROckshox service kits, how much for a few o-rings?

….lets not forget the few million quid invested in R&D and tooling?

simonm
    Free Member

Formula R1 mixmaster clamps.. £50 a pair.

jameso

Jones? Best vfm bike I’ve ever owned )

Now if you want to talk over-priced.. top end forks.

tomhoward

Servicing oil for a Nexus Hub £90 a litre
    Intense G2 dropouts (which include the mech hanger) £135 per side is the cheapest ive found new, rrp is £150

reggiegasket
    Free Member

£17.60 on wiggle

singlespeedstu

ton – Member

any jones product shirley?

You think so?

$750/£480 for a steel frame and fork.

Not on-one cheap but not mega expensive either.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/production_framesets.html

burnie
    Free Member

Has to be chain guides, with the exception of superstar they all seem to be ridiculous considering that you can get an Xtr front mech(which is surely a much more complex expensive thing to make)for a similar price to a lot of chain guides!!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Reverb.300 chugging motes because you’re too lazy to drop your seat by hand.

Northwind

Exposure Joystick. It’s just a very expensive torch, except that you can’t change the battery so actually it’s much worse than a torch.

ade ward – Member

Even tyres with low production numbers for my vintage car are cheaper than some mtb tyres

Are they top-of-the-tree high-performance newly-developed short-product-lifespan vintage car tyres?

PeterPoddy – Member

And if I buy a King headset secondhand for £50, I can sell it 3 years later for the same price. Can you do that with your FSA? Nope.

Well no, you couldn’t buy a used FSA for £50. You could buy 3-and-a-half new ones though. Or, just buy one and spent the rest on strippers.

DezB
    Free Member

I would like to add Mavic clothing.
    Anyone who pays rrp for their stuff is a total M.U.G.

I did get one of their tops for £30 in Evans sale and the rrp is close to £70! not even as well made as the Salomon jerseys I’ve got and they were £30ish.

Rip off.

Don’t be ripped off.

Blower
    Free Member

90% of it is a fookin rip off

timidwheeler

Camelbak cleaning tablets – £12.99 for 8.
    Tesco baby-equipment cleaning tablets – 78p for 56.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

your baby has a camelbak?

Merlinman

Anything Rapha

vorlich
    Free Member

I would like to add Mavic clothing.
    Anyone who pays rrp for their stuff is a total M.U.G.

I did get one of their tops for £30 in Evans sale and the rrp is close to £70! not even as well made as the Salomon jerseys I’ve got and they were £30ish.

Aren’t Mavic/Salomon essentially the same thing? i.e. Part of Adidas

PrinceJohn

Today I was quoted by the bike shop for a new brake lever assembly, for my avid juicy ultimates after the bolt the mount had cracked…

£180.00

just for this bit….

mindmap3
    Free Member

Forks get me – the original 66’s were around the £500 if my memory serves me. Now they are nealy a grand – are they actually any better? I’ve had two pairs of the original 66’s and they took everything that could be thrown at them with no issues. I blame Fox – as soon as everyone else clocked that people would fork out what Fox were charging for the 36’s, they all jumped on the bandwagon.

Brake pads get me as well. The last time I replaced my Saint pads with Shimano ones at Leisure Lakes I was amazed how much they were.

Tyres are another one….its not like they last all that long.

Current Shimano prices too….XT cranks; how much? I know they are good cranks, but they just don’t seem exotic enough for the price.

I could go on…..full suspension frames etc.

All in all, its a very expensive hobby.

winstonsmith

i’m with blower on this one

emanuel
    Free Member

cosmic carbone replacement stickers.59eu off rosebikes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Chain devices are another one – most have now ditched the bash guard but cost more than they did when a bash ring was included. That is a good effort on behalf of the likes of MRP and E13.

emanuel
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9eLeZS9OeY[/video]
    bbg bash and bbg granny mount bash.
    or the ziptie chainguide.
    joe would have approved.

nicko74

Well no, you couldn’t buy a used FSA for £50. You could buy 3-and-a-half new ones though. Or, just buy one and spent the rest on strippers.

Really really cheap strippers…

DezB
    Free Member

Aren’t Mavic/Salomon essentially the same thing? i.e. Part of Adidas

I guess thats why the comparison came to mind, they are similar products with Salomon half the price.

racefaceec90

apologies if someone has already said it,but camalbak spares 😯

Northwind

nicko74 – Member

Really really cheap strippers…

Best sort

sambob
    Free Member

Assos gilet, £150. FOR SOMETHING WITH NO SLEEVES! 😯

dti

Chain Oil

I can’t work it out – 5 litres of Super Expensive car oil is about £8-9 a litre .

Chain oil is the same for 100 ml ?????

bigjim
    skywalker
    Free Member

£280 for two dropouts

What do I win?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Expensive pedals!! They get stamped on knocked by rocks, get covered in crap!!

snowpaul
    Free Member

Assos clothing – I hate the brand / its advertising / its crap pretenious nature and dubious longevity

Chain oil / sus fork oil = I just buy from motor factors

Brake pads /tyres and new sus forks = stupid prices

I buy 2nd / 3rd hand or get friends to buy from abroad on close out = I cannot remember the last time I got something brand new from a local UK LBS – I used to work full time in the trade – kinda made me question why the industry sells stuff way way above what it is ‘ worth ‘ and how we all fall for it – odd snobbery value in showing you paid loads…

Plus expensive stuff isnt always the best – look at me – I got some silly expensive frames at trade prices and some broke or some were just underwhelming – as I get older I see less ‘value’ in expensive kit and I would rather spend it on trips away actually riding my bike… I am a deore vs xt/r rider now !

hey ho

paul

hoojum
    Free Member

Replacement dropout for my Lynskey. £50! B@st@rds.

edhornby

I don’t know why people buy XT or XTR derailleurs, they get smashed on rocks and covered in mud/grass/twig…

andyl
    Free Member

That garmin cable is just downright dishonest.

and how can the Intense drop outs cost as much as a whole on one frame?

I thought (I still do) the new swap out drop outs from On One were expensive.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Any top end bicycle. £8500 for a Scot Spark and you still have to pedal

coatesy
    Free Member

After all these replies I can’t believe nobody has mentioned 9 quid for a small sheet of thin plastic and a little roll of velcro to strap to your fork bridge.Suppose i’d be too embarrassed to bring it up if i’d been mug enough to buy one.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Most ridiculously overpriced piece of bike bit’ is closed to new replies.