Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Most punctures in a single commute?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

After 3 punctures on my 5.5mile commute this morning, I wondered how many others had suffered a similar fate.

Double puncture to start and then a front followed.

Still, at least I picked a good day for it and the sun was out.

phatstanley
    Free Member

dunno what my max number was, but once i switched to these:

freekin awesome tyre !!

the point was moot.

hope that helps.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Snap I had 3 on a 4 mile commute only I had them all separately, by the last one I pushed to the lbs and bought new tubes and rim strips, I wasn’t very happy that day.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll take a look at those. Think the 3rd was because I hadn’t fitted the tube properly and it had nipped somewhere.

First two happened dismounting the curb after going round a car blocking a junction in stationary traffic. So it’s not an every day occurence thankfully.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve had three on a 15 mile commute. Glass for the most part I think.
    Those marathons are OK but they’re not perfect. Probably as good as anything else out there.

phatstanley
    Free Member

Those marathons are OK but they’re not perfect. Probably as good as anything else out there.

i categorically disagree with that, as far as can be dictated by my own personal experience, which is not inconsiderable.
    well, i should maybe add that dropping my road tyres to 80 psi from 100 plus also helped minimise punctures…but i can’t think of (m)any tyres that have such a thick casing as the marathons…

thomthumb
    Free Member

so many (in the snow) that i ran out of tubes, and patches and had to call home 😳

klumpy
    Free Member

Quite a while ago, but, set off to school and rode over the clippings from a hawthorn hedge. Dozens.

samuri
    Free Member

i categorically disagree with that, as far as can be dictated by my own personal experience, which is not inconsiderable.

Yeah, I do rather a lot of riding as well, and I’d compare them to Halfords own brand hybrid tyres which isn’t a bad thing. I saw punctures with nearly new marathons where glass had easily slashed through the entire casing.

AdamW
    Free Member

The other year I got three going through Bulwell in Notts. It was winter. The first repair initially failed as the valve came out of the tube after inflating. When, half a mile later I got glass in there and got the third puncture I sat muttering.

Then it started to snow heavily on me.

For some reason I fell about laughing.

Since then I have bought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and they seem to stop a lot of that stuff happening.

phatstanley
    Free Member

Yeah, I do rather a lot of riding as well, and I’d compare them to Halfords own brand hybrid tyres which isn’t a bad thing. I saw punctures with nearly new marathons where glass had easily slashed through the entire casing.

furry muff.
    mebbe i love my marathons more than a sane man should…
    can one love a tyre too much….?

samuri
    Free Member

😉

MoreCashThanDash

I was disappointed with Marathons as well – heavy, and had just as many punctures as the Road Cruisers fitted before and the Sport Contacts fitted after.

boxfish
    Free Member

Bontrager RaceLite Hardcase. 1 puncture in 5 years (currently on 4th set of tyres)

Junkyard
    Free Member

both flat when i went to cycle home

both fixed before setting off and I fixed the punctures in the tubes

About a mile rear went
    Swapped another mile rear went again
    Now had to fix tube again so did both
    About 500 metres then another – this went on for about 6 miles till the pump broke and in true basil fawlty style i started screaming and swearing at the top of my voice whilst thrashing the rest of the pump on the ground – it was a very busy Mway roundabout and i limped home with no rear tube and my usual hour took nearer 2
    Binned the tyre at the end and could not find anything in it to cause them
    was not happy but character building

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Most punctures in a single commute?’ is closed to new replies.