Most popular Biker? (who can also talk)

Home Forum Bike Forum Most popular Biker? (who can also talk)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Most popular Biker? (who can also talk)
  • hock

First of all: this is a somewhat commercially motivated question, so please feel free not to contribute or to blame me for misusing this forum. The later is not the intention as I hope that the topic is interesting for other users, too.

Which female or male biker would you recommend as a guest speaker for an international brand conference? He or she is preferably a current or former active racer (gravity preferred but not a must) with some VIP-appeal. Sporting success would be great, charisma is more important though. Topic of the speech should be to introduce the audience (international brand managers and general managers) to the sport of mountainbiking, e.g. the essence of going for a ride, the lifestyle around cycling, different styles of biking, major innovations and at the end of the speech open questions.

Writing this it could also be a journalist. So I extend the questions a little:
    if not a racer, which journalist or other ‘bike person’ would you recommend for the same job?

Many thanks for any contribution!

hock

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

the copyright manager for Specialized

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Steve Peat.
    Fabian Barel.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

So you are trying to introduce a sport with soul at its heart, to a group of international brand managers, a group whom one assumes are the very definition of soulless?

Good luck with that.

๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

T-Mo is very articulate and professional (not to mention successful).

And she’s dabbled in other discplines as well as transitioning very well from DH to Enduro – which may offer a useful business message for your clients.

xiphon

Warner!!!

limkilde

CG or/and Steve

Premier Icon stu170
    Subscriber

Rob warner. Would be perfect

JEngledow

Dr Steve Peat

andyrm

Fabien Barel – multiple world champion, great presenter, very engaging guy in real life. Look up his “Fab Barel presents….” video series online.

Kenny van Vlaminck, of course.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Tony Doyle?

I find him fascinating to listen to and what he has to say applies to more than just mountain biking.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Tracey Mosley, as above successful and articulate

ianv

Sven Martin would be good.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber
    JCL

Tracey Mosley, as above successful and articulate

Agreed. Nicest pro I’ve ever met too.

lister

Me.

I haven’t won much (anything…3rd last in 2001 Resolven Dragon Downhill is a highlight) but I’m cheap.

Stephen Hawkins

stevede

How about Josh Bryceland ๐Ÿ™‚

butcher

Guy Martin? He has the enthusiasm

hora

Guy Martin is a character and does have a passion but **** I don’t have a clue what hes saying. He speaks like he rides ๐Ÿ˜†

Whereas Michael Dunlop is the opposite ๐Ÿ˜€

wrecker

No mentions of Rachel Atherton?
    Bearclaw?

5thElefant

Definitely Guy Martin. At least the audience may have heard of him (even if they can’t understand him).

ski

Humbled by such names linked to our passion, looks like OP is spoilt for choice.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber
    atlaz

Onzadog wrote:

Tony Doyle?
    I find him fascinating to listen to and what he has to say applies to more than just mountain biking.

I’d agree. If I wanted a non-corporate type speaker but still good to motivate etc (and he’d do it) I’d get Jedi like a shot.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

It’s got to be either Tracey Mosley or Rob Warner, or both as a double act?

neninja

Of those suggested I think any one of Tracey Moseley, Steve Peat or Fabien Barel would be excellent choices.

Alternatively how about Danny McAskill? He can turn his hand to all sorts of riding, has worked in the bicycle trade and is probably known by more people than any other UK MTB rider.

A few other to throw out there – Chris Akrigg, Hans Rey, Brian Lopes, John Tomac, Nick Craig

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

I rode with Guy Martin last week…didn’t know who he was at the time…nice chap…with lots of energy & enthusiasm!

hock

Spoilt for coice! ๐Ÿ™‚ MANY thanks indeed!

Have Tracy, Pete, Barel on the top of my list now.
    Time schedule-wise some of the ‘not racing so much anymore’ might be interetsing, too.

What about Ned Overend?

Guy Martin might not be corporate enough… ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Missy Giove neither.

I “witnessed” an interview/QandA session at ShAFF in 2011, where Rob Warner was the host interviewing Steve Peat. IMO they were totally unprepared and fairly unprofessional. Off the back of that I wouldn’t recommend either of them, but maybe they had an off day.

Crell

Magnus Backstedt always comes over really well when he’s on Eurosport.

Warner would be at the bottom of my list for exactly the reason above.

Roter Stern

Really depends on what kind of image you want the speaker to portray. If you want MTBing as bad ass with accompanying foul language then Warner is your man! If you want someone to appeal to the corporate mentality and show the professional side to the sport then I would agree with Fabien Barel or what about Martin Whiteley of 23 Degrees sport management for the insight into the behind the scenes of a MTB racing team?

hock

Rob Warner is out for above mentioned reasons.

I want someone who can introduce people from a corporate world to the scene of a sport like biking. So they need to bridge between the two world a little.

jedi

wade simmons. lovely guy and articulate as well as sooooo good on a bike

Lance Armstrong.

Nick Craig has a good cv. Danny MacAskill comes across well in interviews too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Most popular Biker? (who can also talk)’ is closed to new replies.