Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Most Overrated Band(s) ?
  • nixon_fiend
    Free Member

And why?

My vote goes to,

Radiohead – Refreshingly different but far too cerebral and "moaney"

Cream – Bad rip-offs of classic old blues songs, all guitar no rhythm

Pink Floyd – Unmusical, dull, wallowing, pretentious 'sound'

That should ruffle a few feathers, now, post your own

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not a particular fan of either Cream or PF but I still wouldn't say they were overrated. You're wrong about Radiohead though.

Overrated? Hmmm…Hearsay, Jedward, JLS, Same Difference

bruneep

Elbow

ojom
    Free Member

radiohead aren't cerebral, they are too GCSE poetry.

Oasis. totally and utterly over-rated.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Beatles because they are shite.

tazzymtb

the beatles, oasis, coldplay, U2,metallica

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Oasis +100

Gary_C

Pink Floyd – Unmusical, dull, wallowing, pretentious 'sound'

You're having a laugh aint ya??

**Feathers ruffled**

Hadge
    Free Member

Bob Dylan – only because I don't like him at all.
    Smiths/Morrisey – again – as above but at least he can sing – unlike Dylan.

jedi

paul macartney=caravan entertainer

slimtubing
    Free Member

never got the slavish devotion awarded to the Clash.
    Darkness were one trick ponies
    As for Van Morrison, yeah he can sing but name me 10 good songs by him not including Gloria, Brown eyed bleedin girl, moondance or here comes the night.

CountZero

Cream, all guitar and no rhythm, excuse me? Ginger Baker is an excellent drummer and Jack Bruce a damn fine bass player, which makes a a three-piece band two-thirds rhythm section. Or don't you do maths?
    And the Beatles? Well, whether you like them or not doesn't alter the fact they were not ‘shite', they altered the face of popular music from Tin Pan Alley sourced songs given to any singer with a good voice, kinda like X-Factor winners, in fact, to bands and singers who actually wrote their own material. Calling them shite shows a breathtaking level of ignorance of musical history. Go back to yer Will Young records and leave the proper music to the grownups.

twohats
    Free Member

The Beatles, reason, shite.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes
    Michael Jackson
    Madonna
    Mozart
    Nickelback

Cream? Jees you've lost it.

"Hey there baby, get into my big black car, I wanna just show ya what my politics are!"

grumm
    Free Member

I'd go with Pink Floyd

takisawa2

Micheal Jackson
    The Beatles
    Queen
    Jazz (yes, the whole genre…utter shite)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As far as the Beatles being "overrated" is concerned, despite never having been a fan of theirs, I find that they are now being constantly underrated. I reckon it's hard overemphasise just how profound the Beatles influence was – and not just on music. Even Monty Python ffs, was influenced by the Beatles.

colnagokid

without The Beatles there would be no popular music as we know it.
    Most over-rated to me is U2, few good tunes but thats it

double-h
    Free Member

coldplay=pish

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm,

I is narked. Jacko, madge, etc ain't bands! They're people(?)

Bands are never overrated. These are groups coming together to produce wondeful sounds.

As for PF – great gig in the sky is still a huge fave.

Darkness – never really met their time

Elbow – been around ages nit just the Seldom
    seen kid

I like music me, but it has to come from a band. Play it yourself and you're not overrated

samuri
    Free Member

U2 for sure. Not because their music sucks because some of it is OK but because they're so far up their own arses that it makes my ring hurt.

"Invest, invest, invest in Ireland, the home of the brave! But not us, we'll stick all our money into offshore investements. We meant you, the poor people."

After that, Snow patrol, Black eyed peas, LIL Wayne (WTF!!???), Radiohead (give me a gun!).

I've just done a search and these are the most popular bands on facebook. This is also the list that proves that we should be nuked from space. Humans have zenithed. It is now time for the species to die and pass on.

1. Rihanna (1.52 million)
    2. Coldplay (1.49 million)
    3. Lil Wayne (1.34 million)
    4. Linkin Park (1.33 million)
    5. Chris Brown (1.3 million)
    6. Metallica (1.22 million)
    7. Pink Floyd (1.16 million)
    8. Bob Marley (1.13 million)
    9. Red Hot Chili Peppers (1.12 million)
    10. Justin Timberlake (1.05 million)
    11. AC/DC (997,000)
    12. Daft Punk (912,000)
    13. Beyonce (906,000)
    14. Queen (900,000)
    15. Evanescence (873,000)
    16. Jonas Brothers (843,000)
    17. Radiohead (793,000)
    18. Kanye West (792,000)
    19. Katy Perry (791,000)
    20. Akon (753,000)

Justin Timberlake is more popular than AC/DC. Which means more people think his music is better that AC/DC's. So clearly, we all need to die.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Your forgetting the 'Sex Pistols'. Reminds me of that kit kat advert. 'You can't Sing, you can't play, you look awful, you'll go a long way'

Shame they did 'go a long way' as now we have to still put up with that c0ck John Lydon.

Any one that actually likes them still or thinks that they were actually influencial probably does not know very much about the era.

grumm
    Free Member

Black Eyed Peas is a good shout as well actually – bizarrely popular.

twohats
    Free Member

Without the Beatles, some other band would have come along and "changed popular music as we know it"…

coogan
    Free Member

Oasis. Has been no bigger overrated band ever. They've done some good chunes (I'd count 3 or 4), but overall, they are no better than a cover band.

Northwind

The Rolling Stones. 1 good song.

bullheart
    Free Member

+1 for Black Eyed Peas.

Listening to them, especially the long-haired ape-faced bellend that 'raps'* is like w&nking in a cactus-filled sock.

* He raps out of key too! How the hell can someone rap out of key???!!

me1onhead
    Free Member

The Corrs – no better than the Nolans. Just glad we no longer hear from them

richmars

(Old git mode on)
    Everything from the last 20 years.
    (Old git mod off)

odannyboy
    Free Member

all the kanye west,rianna,dizze rascal type black gansta shite….nobody normally says this as the politically correct police will jump on you and call you a raceist…..
    err…well no i just have ears and taste,its got nothing to do with what skin colour i see.god its crap all these airbrushed women making out there the sexiest things on earth and all the gold chain covered stupidly oversized clotes type blokes making out there some sort of sex gods.have a cold shower and get off my radio so i can hear some music from people who can actally sing.
    (and as for tim westwood, the king peddeller of this tat, go back home to lowerstoft, you fool)

sadexpunk

Without the Beatles, some other band would have come along and "changed popular music as we know it"…

thats exactly what i was going to write 🙂

Mugboo

Oasis , definately not maybe..

retro83
    Free Member

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    U2

atlaz
    Free Member

odannyboy – I'd go with you on a lot of the old standard hiphop but if you paid more than a passing "He's black, he does urban music" bit of attention to Dizzee Rascal, he's nothing like that.

U2, Black Eyed Peas, Coldplay, most of the chart dance music, most R&B (really formulaic these days)

grumm
    Free Member

all the kanye west,rianna,dizze rascal type black gansta shite….nobody normally says this as the politically correct police will jump on you and call you a raceist…..
    err…well no i just have ears and taste,its got nothing to do with what skin colour i see.god its crap all these airbrushed women making out there the sexiest things on earth and all the gold chain covered stupidly oversized clotes type blokes making out there some sort of sex gods.have a cold shower and get off my radio so i can hear some music from people who can actally sing.
    (and as for tim westwood, the king peddeller of this tat, go back home to lowerstoft, you fool)

You're basically using the classic 'I'm not racist but….' – interesting that you don't just way that you're not keen on hip-hop/urban music

There's lots of good intelligent well-made hip-hop/urban music out there – dismissing it all as black gangsta shite probably is kind of racist imo.

markenduro
    Free Member

Can't believe it got this far without a visit from the arctic monkeys – all hype and no talent.

loddrik
    Free Member

Oasis – utter shite

bananaworld
    Free Member

Oh well, here's me 2p…

Oasis are my favourite band. Of all time. Ever. They deserve to be held up as producers of astonishingly good music. I still don't know why so many people go "oh yeah, their first two albums were alright, but then they got shite": seems to me people ain't listening to 'em and only because they're too proud to.

Ho hum.

Overrated band: REM. Their music makes me weep. (With pain and desire to have the CD rammed up George W. Bush's a-hole, before shooting the whole shebang into a volcano on Venus.)

nuke

Nirvana

ilikebikes
    Free Member

Coldplay are shite and the Beatles and Morrisey is a fake 😉 and while we're at the Quo make me want to head butt a sword.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Most Overrated Band(s) ?’ is closed to new replies.