Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Most overrated album of all time
  • philsimm
    Free Member

This is mine:

What is yours?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything by Pink Floyd

MSP

Any prog rock album.

yunki
    Free Member

anything championed by NME

FeeFoo
    Free Member

lazlo53
    Free Member

Tubular Bells

tiger_roach
    Free Member

philsimm
    Free Member

Good call Surf Mat – probably number 2 in my list

nickc

Music is so subjective though, it's like saying "What colour don't you like".

I wonder about people though when you look at things like the best selling Album lists, and find that Stars by Simply Red was a multi platinum selling album…Things to make you go hmmmmm…

nickc

philsimm, most underrated album?

RichPenny
    Free Member

… waits for ok computer …

Stupid thread IMO, you might as well ask what the most popular album is in a genre you hate 😛

thomthumb
    Free Member

3 albums pictured were arguably much more about what they represented than the music recorded.

docrobster
    Free Member

surf-mat and philsimm are wrong

gets my vote

vinnyeh

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What can I say. I liked the cover.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

<runs for cover>

docrobster
    Free Member
    nickc

From docrobster's link…whoever wrote this has some ego issues….

I wouldn't consider any of these albums bad. Most of them are pretty good albums. It's just that none of these are masterpieces and they're way overrated. I have personally overrated most of them in the past, blinding myself to better albums (actual masterpieces) which is probably the main reason I felt encouraged to post this list.

By the way, with "overrated" I am referring to general critical ratings and list rankings. For an album to appear on this list, it must've been highly rated per numerous reviews and/or ranked highly on critics' list(s), and found undeserving of these accolades by myself. There are no other factors being considered. Thus, the albums are ranked in order of how much distance there is between how great I consider them

compared to how highly regarded they are critically. Fan voting and general consensous is also considered when it is frequent enough to garner recognition.

As an example, Rubber Soul almost always gets 5 star ratings and somehow even makes it into the top 10 of most American lists, and the top 20-50 of most UK lists. Personally, I would give it about 3-3.5 stars (out of 5) and probably wouldn't even consider it for my top 500. That's a considerable distance, and so it holds the #1 position,

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The thing is, it's contextual. "Never mind the…" was great in it's time. "Nevermind" was also great in it's time.

_tom_
    Free Member

Sleep – Dopesmoker. I got it expecting some awesome stoner rock/metal like their other stuff. Instead I have droney guitars and feedback. Alright for a few minutes but otherwise it's **** boring. They aint no Electric Wizard!

I like Never Mind The Bollocks. I learned how to play every song on it when I was just starting guitar.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A few of the best from the last 20 years:

Orbital – In Sides
    Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie
    Leftfield – Leftism
    Pearl Jam – Ten
    Prodigy – Music for the Jilted Generation
    Moby (!) – Play

philsimm
    Free Member

.. waits for ok computer …

Stupid thread IMO, you might as well ask what the most popular album is in a genre you hate

So Rich – what is yours? And IIRC Ok Computer was pretty much universally acclaimed at the time of release apart from the NME who thought it was a bit shit – they soon changed their minds the fickle ****

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I think its important to comment, that good singles, does not automatically a good album make – there are some amazing bands out there who have written some of the greatest singles but who's albums turn out to be bland, samey mediocre tripe (cf. Oasis, U2, chilli peppers)

Equally, there are a small, select number of albums out there that are true masterpieces, expressions of the art of laying together songs that take you on a magical 45 minute long rollercoaster ride, whether due to the prevailing time and context of its release, or for the quality of the music, and regardless of the quality of the individual songs or their success as singles (badly drawn boys hour of bewilderbeast, Bjorks Debut, NWA's Straight outta Compton to name but a few)

fubar
    Free Member

Re: the 'they're all here' link above…I'll agree with only one of their choices…

29. A Rush of Blood to the Head-Coldplay (2002)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Don't hate any genres so don't have an answer 🙂 NME hated OK Computer because it only had one rawk track, they just wanted The Bends part 2…

philsimm
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    philsimm, most underrated album?

Shack – HMS Fable?
    Doing what Oasis did years before they did it and much classier IMO – only very moderately succesful at the time but now probably considered a modern classic

tommid
    Free Member

Anything by radiohead! What a bunch of middle class winey art school bollox.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Every single album by the beatles.

nicko74

Surf-Mat, are you suggesting that In-Sides is overrated? Or just a good album?!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How it even made the Billboard 200, is beyond me ……. overrated shite.

IMHO

TooTall
    Free Member

philsimm – ever heard of The Real People? There was even an out of court settlement by Oasis because they ripped them off so much. Really nice guys as well.

mboy
    Free Member

ANYTHING by Coldplay… No specific album, just absolutely anything they've done…

… waits for ok computer …

And IIRC Ok Computer was pretty much universally acclaimed at the time of release apart from the NME who thought it was a bit shit – they soon changed their minds the fickle ****

Given that Pablo Honey was a pretty good first album, and that The Bends is/was/should have been the album of 1995 (iirc it came second to What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis), OK Computer was utter shite and turned me right off anything Radiohead post The Bends!

Anything by radiohead! What a bunch of middle class winey art school bollox.

Trust me, give The Bends a listen, but after that, absolutely agree with you…

bassspine
    Free Member

anything by Elvis Presley. Single most overrated pop star ever. Close second, Michael Jackson

jonb
    Free Member

Anything by radiohead.

Junkyard
    Free Member

anything by alleged kidi fiddler… Jackson
    Hold on you cannot slander the dead but i wont risk it

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nick – that was on my list of great albums!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Sgt Pepper

Not a bad album as such and has its moment of greatness ( A Day in the Life) but very overrated IMO.

nicko74

phew, was a bit worried there.
    I listened to Morning Glory last week, not having listened to it in years. Honestly, it made for quite depressing listening – it's just not that great.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Second vote here for Tubular Bells along with Dark Side Of The Moon

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Most overrated album of all time’ is closed to new replies.