Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Most horribly user unfriendly bits of consumer tech?
  • FuzzyWuzzy

Pretty much all games have the controls under options from the main menu. Some of you are like my grandad

It’s still crap though – fine on a game with like 4 different controls but on something with 10+ you need to refer to something move convenient than going into the game options (especially if it’s online multiplayer). I end up just writing them out on a sheet of paper but was much more convenient when they provided a keyboard layout in the game box (although as most stuff I buy is digital download now I’ll have the issue regardless).

trailwagger
    Free Member

Teams.

Ive worked in IT for over 20 years, i have seen plenty of software in that time. There is just something not quite right about it. Its seems overly complex when it should be simple. Ive even been using it for nearly a year and it still confuses the hell out of me.

Olly
    Free Member

I actually clicked into this thread thinking “itll be WD myCloud.”.

Just backing ours up, though the backup tool does suggest that if it dies, i can only “restore” to a WD device, so looking at alternatives at the same time.
    Something with a “RAID” mirror on two onboard disks, and another one for my Dad up country (he’s on MyCloud, on my recommendation), and have them back each other up over the web.
    i dont like that SSDs basically store the data as “static” electricity, so the will degrade over time, 10 years they reckon but i still dont trust it.

theotherjonv

The “Netflix” button on tv remotes.

not specifically this but maybe someone knows the answer…. I barely watch it so don’t know but the wife and kids all have it on devices as well as on the TV. And where it’s all wireless enabled if I’m watching the TV when they (mainly t’wife tbh) starts a Netflix on her fancy ipad, then the TV automatically screen casts it.

1/ how can i turn that off without disabling it completely? When she does want to watch Netflix on the TV then using the ipad to select the program is way easier than the TV itself apparently

2/ why does it always happen at a critical moment…..’and Sterling’s got a clear run on goal’ or ‘one ball left and England need 2 runs to win’ …..and up pops chuffin’ Netflix!!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I notice that ‘GoPro’ has been mentioned a couple of times already (and probly deserves a thread of its own), but has anyone managed to properly sync theirs up to the iOS app?

I’m still trying to download update 1.5 from my iPad to my hero9.
    My gopro’s been set to connect only with the iPad and not bother with automatic uploads to the cloud.

The Bluetooth connection works fine. (I can control the cameras settings from my iPad).
    The WiFi seems fine. (Though quite why it needs to pair up with the iPad over WiFi as well as Bluetooth is beyond me).

I had a look on gopros help page, but they seem to recommend deleting any ‘Mac’ address.

Every other Bluetooth device pairs up lickety spit.

I get the impression that the hero9 wants to be plugged into a good old-fashioned pc.

I can still upload stuff into the iPad with the pukka camera connection kit, but this latest system upgrade still eludes me.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Have we had earphones/buds yet?

Either I’m in a minority of one with unusually large ears… certainly don’t thinks so, nobody has ever called me wingnut/dumbo/jug-eared freak for example. But I’m old enough that I remember the cassette walkman with those springy headphones with the orange foam covers. Now those, and all traditional headphones work fine. But I’ve never been able to understand the little bud things which replaced them. They just don’t stay in. I’ve never been into listening to music when out running so it isn’t even that. I’m talking about just sat still. Move your facial muscles a fraction of a millimetre and one will drop out while the other anchors in your lower ear and causes the phone/device to fly across the room. Sometimes it’s nice to fall asleep to a podcast. so you put one in and trap it between the pillow whilst balancing the other in your skyward ear. Turn over and they both fall out. It’s maddening! Am I doing it wrong? Are you supposed to twist them horizontally deep into your ear canal or something?

CountZero

Cars work just fine these days but that screen thing in the middle that goes beep and tells you its connected to your smart phone when you get in – buy a paper Michelin atlas for wherever you are and turn the screen off along with your phone, your doctor will make approving noises the next time you get your blood pressure tested and you are 93.4618% less likely to crash your car due to distraction.

Trying to drive and navigate solo using a paper map is both dangerous and dangerously frustrating – having tried to do it many times in the past. My new car has CarPlay, which instantly syncs with my phone, picking up a song that had been playing previously from where it left off, if my phone is selected as source instead of the radio, and if I’m using the satnav I sort out the route on TomTom before I get in the car, select the TomTom app on the car’s screen, and the navigation starts straight away, it’s absolutely **** brilliant! No fannying around trying to tap postcodes or addresses onto a silly little keyboard on the car’s screen. I can even locate somewhere without a postcode in what3words, select TomTom for the navigation option, and set off.
    The only thing that could be better is the location of the reversing camera – it picks up a lot of spray where it’s positioned above the number plate, it would have been better up by the high-level brake light, but that’s a minor niggle.
    Compared to the many, many things in current cars that have me grinding my teeth in frustration.
    We have over 3000 vehicles at work, from most current manufacturers, and their choices of how their cars are designed and their ergonomics just make me weep with frustration at times; when you move seventy-odd cars during a working day, those little things really add up. 🤬

molgrips
    Free Member

But I’ve never been able to understand the little bud things which replaced them. They just don’t stay in.

There are many many designs and they usually come with many fittings and widgets to suit different ears. The basic toss you get with your phone is usually rubbish. I could never use earbuds for years, always too painful, but recently I have had a lot of good experiences. Particularly the ones with a silicone mushroom that blocks your ear canal like an earplug. They stay in well, and then there’s the kind with a silicone arm that secures it further, like Anker Soundbuds. And they’re only £25 or so.

molgrips
    Free Member

buy a paper Michelin atlas

Satnavs may be annoying but they are about 500 times better than stopping all the time to read an atlas – especially when you get to a town and you need to follow someone’s directions dictated from memory over the phone and hastily scribbled onto an envelope.. hah, some people have short memories!

Earl
    Free Member

Amazon search bar. Just returns whatever it wants.

bruneep

Amazon Singletrackworld search bar. Just returns whatever it wants.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve also got one of those xiaomi ’fitbits’.

I think it’s pretty good tbh.

But the sleep tracking part of the app is quite perplexing.
    Despite being one of the usp’s of the device, you have to be connected to the app via Bluetooth and faff about with sub-menus to access the sleep-tracking feature.

You’d think that the constant communication (via Bluetooth) with the Fitbit whilst sleep tracking would allow the app to obtain the sleep data in real-time whilst you’re asleep?

Nope.

Only when you’ve woken up and ended the sleep-tracking (via the app, of course), does it upload the data from the Fitbit.

If the app can only upload the data from the Fitbit at the end of your sleep session, then what’s the point of having it establish a constant connection with the app whilst you’re asleep?

How very peculiar!

Can’t I just activate the sleep-tracking, independent of the app, and upload the data at my leisure?

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Most horribly user unfriendly bits of consumer tech?’ is closed to new replies.