Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Most Efficient Climbing 120mm Full Suss
  • giantx4
    Free Member

Mmmm..i have always ridden hartails..& loved it for years….untill,that is,i got my trance x!…mine is an x4 (upgraded somewhat)….it climbs faster,decends (muuuuch) faster,and encourages complete madness!…er…buy 1..

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Continuity – Interesting article.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for a Nicolai Helius CC, the only bike I’ve ridden that climbs as well is the 575

AndreyE
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Giant Maestro (Trance X and Reign), Fuel EX (09 model year) and many, many others including Turner DW Spot and Pivot Mach 5 and now Mach 5.7.

If climbing is important I’d give a nod to Trance X over Fuel EX easily. BUT, if you need an ultimate climbing bike, go for Pivot. I assume you’d be looking at Mach 4 but the Mach 5/5.7 are really hard to beat even compared to bikes with less travel like Trance X.

Stevo210
    Free Member

continuity – Member

http://www.mbr.co.uk/advice/suspending-beliefs/

Read it. Thats some interesting reading, nobody has a clue then 🙂

If climbing is important I’d give a nod to Trance X over Fuel EX easily. BUT, if you need an ultimate climbing bike, go for Pivot. I assume you’d be looking at Mach 4 but the Mach 5/5.7 are really hard to beat even compared to bikes with less travel like Trance X.

Never even considered a Pivot but I shall add it to the list.

ska-49
    Free Member

Specialized Camber. Borrowed one from the LBS and it blew me away! Was wondering if I really need the 150mm I’ve currently got.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The best climber I have ever demoed is the epic carbon 29 ER. Ok only 100m but big wheels make it feel more. Raced up the hills. Tested while demoing a series of bikes with grouped of ten riders. Riding the epic was the only time I left the others behind and for the first time opened my eyes to the difference between bikes.

Great descender too – just a problem with the £4k price tag!!!!

X post with ska. Tried the camber 29er and that was not far away. Anthem 29er similar and priced between the two.

adrec
    Free Member

Giant trance. Just bought one and love it. Wasn’t keen on the looks but looks much better in the flesh and it climbs like a mountain goat. Much happier on the way down than the anthem as well due to the angles and extra travel. Not much heavier either.

maxtorque

Did anyone else spot this in that link about suspension design:

“The motor on a motorcycle is a very predictable machine, the motor on a suspension bike is about the most unpredictable machine imaginable (especially on a woman’s specific models)”

😉

porter_jamie

Specialized Camber. Borrowed one from the LBS and it blew me away! Was wondering if I really need the 150mm I’ve currently got.

I borrowed a camber yesterday for a quick blast around the Surrey hills. It was a bit blinged with hope hoops and so on but I couldn’t believe how much easier it is to pedal up hill than my heckler – I used to think it was all much of a muchness, but I am now thinking I don’t need 150mm either, as it was pretty damn good downhill too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Maverick mono link, for sure.

Yep, if only they had the geometry sorted for steep climbs I’d still have mine.

I would have to disagree on a 29er being the most efficient climbing 120mm regardless of whatever brand. I reckon their 26″ wheel version on a climb would blow the 29er away from what I have found.

You can go on and on about how there’s going to be a bigger contact patch and how it’ll make rock gardens on the climbs easier all day long but after coming off the spearfish on all kinds of climbs,nothing beats a good 26 inch wheel for plugging away at slower speeds. I feel I can accelerate easier and keep the momentum going so much easier on my turner flux,also my zesty with 5lb extra weight!,over the lighter spearfish.I even went lightweight with non tubeless tyres on stans rims,pro 2 evo’s but it just doesn’t cut it on steep slow stuff. Like I guessed years ago with the hardtail 29er.. it really is the problem of accelerating the bigger wheel at slower speeds that makes them 2nd best for me.

so, maverick monolink (in any guise,even an ML8 would blow a lot of 29ers away if anyone would give them the chance),giant maestro,turner with the dw in its flux are my top 3.

mboy
    Free Member

Yep, if only they had the geometry sorted for steep climbs I’d still have mine.

What do you mean specifically? You on about the relatively slack seat tube? Run a layback Thomson back to front, trust me, solves everything. Cos as far as I’m concerned, I’ve never ridden a better bike for steep climbs, long climbs, technical climbs, whatever… I don’t worry if the bike can get me up a climb, only if I’ve got the leg power to get me up.

I would have to disagree on a 29er being the most efficient climbing 120mm regardless of whatever brand. I reckon their 26″ wheel version on a climb would blow the 29er away from what I have found.

29er’s are awesome on terrain where speeds are more consistent. 26″ wheels win out in situations where acceleration and manoeuvrability are more important, or in other words, really technical climbs. Though don’t forget, it’s still 99% rider and 1% the bike!

Stevo210
    Free Member

so, maverick monolink (in any guise,even an ML8 would blow a lot of 29ers away if anyone would give them the chance),giant maestro,turner with the dw in its flux are my top 3.

they sound like a good top 3 to me, anyone else care to suggest their top 3? 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

ML 7/5, Durance & ML8… 😉

Stevo210
    Free Member

Mmm I see a pattern developing here. I’d need some dark glasses to own that though 🙁

Kryton57

Seems like the ML if you’re blind, the ASR-5 if you’re not. 🙂

Stevo210
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Seems like the ML if you’re blind, the ASR-5 if you’re not.

haha, love it. Need to somehow get some demo rides on all of the above!!

coopersport1
    Free Member

Orange 5! 😯 with the shock blown up really hard. Worked for me 😀

james
    Free Member

“my Anthem bob peddling up steep hills?

Having said that, whilst it’s a 100mm, it works brilliantly with 120mm forks.

I’d think that the Giant Trance ought to be a pretty good 120mm climber”

(bit of an aside but) this is confusing me
    (IIRC) Anthem is/were 90mm. Anthem X is 100mm, Trance is/were 106mm then I think 100mm for 2008 only before Anthem X replaced it. Trance X is 127mm?
    Or are you just missing the X’s out

All this talk of bigging up of mavericks traction and frame weight is making me think I bought the wrong frame. A Guapo with wound down fork isnt bad, reckon better than the ’07 SJer FSR it replaced. My guess would be itd be down to the extra chainstay length
    With the prices JeJames were offering them a Maverick would been cheaper too ..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There are a few bikes > 120mm travel quoted here?

The suspension on my Flux works a bit better than the (similar) Maesto system and that is 100-120mm travel.

Plus climbing/sprinting out of the saddle is fine with no side-effects over a hardtail that I can feel other than better grip.

Stevo210
    Free Member

You’re not West Yorkshire based are you, or anyone for that matter to arrange a spin?

transapp
    Free Member

Hi James,

Yes, I was missing out the x. I’ve got an Anthem X1 2009. I run it with a RS Revelation 100-130mm fork which I run soft (a bit too much neg air pressure) to get an ultra supple 90-120mm travel.
    If I were to get a 120mm frame, I’d demo the Trance X as I’m assuming it would feel very similar to the Anthem X in use, which I find suits me.

Having said about the bob on climbing (which it does, there’s no doubt about that), I’m off out in a minute to get my self some ergon grips with bar ends because I’m missing that 90’s feeling, out of the saddle and go like stink up a climb, which I thing the Anthem would excel at with the pro pedal on!

zerocool

The new Epic 29 climbs really well (I tried one a few weeks ago). But I found that the Cannondale Rush was a good climber when I rode one and I assume a carbon one would be lighter and better at it.

Don’t be swayed by all the marketing BS, a decent designed single pivot bike will be as good and any bike with a comparable weight and spec.

Tom KP

Kryton57

zerocool – Member
    Don’t be swayed by all the marketing BS, a decent designed single pivot bike will be as good and any bike with a comparable weight and spec.

Is it me or do we keep coming to the conclusion the answer is ASR-5? 8) 😀

mboy
    Free Member

The ASR-5 is no looker mate!

My Durance may be aesthetically challenging to some, but I actually quite like the way it looks, it’s not pretty but it is form follows fucntion and the function is absolutely spot on.

Is it me or do we keep coming to the conclusion the answer is ASR-5?

I’ve not ridden one, though on paper the design at least looks like it should climb well, the main pivot point (the most important thing really on what is essentially a single pivot bike) is in about the best position it can be IMO. Cannondales normally have their main pivot in the same place too, and Cannondales always climb well for a single pivot bike. But I’d say anything with a Maestro (ie. the Giant Anthem X or Trance X at 120mm) or a DW link (like the current Turners) will climb a little bit better, just through my own personal experience.

All this talk of bigging up of mavericks traction and frame weight is making me think I bought the wrong frame.

Mavericks aren’t for everyone. I love mine, but many who’ve ridden them complain about how “inert” they feel. That is to say, you never really notice the suspension working away underneath you. IMO that’s the sign of a good suspension bike, the suspension moves when it’s supposed to (if you attached a Go-Pro pointed at the shock, you’d see the suspension is actually very active), but the rear axle path (parallel to the front axle path uniquely) does make it feel like its not doing much to some people.

Personally, I only have one criticism of my Durance. It’s long… Very long for a 5″ travel trail bike in fact. But then part of why it’s so good at just about everything is for this reason. It climbs better than anything else (which nobody else is disputing), descends like a bike with much more travel, it’s light, the shock is very simple and is easily user serviced, it’s stiff laterally etc etc. It’s just it’s 3″ longer in the wheelbase than my hardtail (though its probably still shorter than an Orange 5), so it’s not the best bike for mega tight switchbacks.

Kryton57

mboy – Member

The ASR-5 is no looker mate!

Eh? Next you’ll be telling me you wouldn’t entertain Kylie…. 😉

…but many who’ve ridden them complain about how “inert” they feel. That is to say, you never really notice the suspension working away underneath you. IMO that’s the sign of a good suspension bike, the suspension moves when it’s supposed to (if you attached a Go-Pro pointed at the shock, you’d see the suspension is actually very active), but the rear axle path (parallel to the front axle path uniquely) does make it feel like its not doing much to some people….

I’d wondered when anyone was going to shout “Pivot” but I guess they are either side of the 120mm criteria. IMO that ^^ applies to Pivots too. In my paranoia prone head I didn’t like the mach 4 I rode becuase I like to feel the sus moving about – I tells me its doing something – I know others feel differently. But it did lead me to believe it was being very efficient. When I returened it to its owner and rode behind him, I could see his wheel moving up and down plenty.

One wonders then thats there’s a fair bit of personal “feeling” and riding style in this type of thread and is there really a way to prove one is better than the other? Or is the criteria really “the bike you feel you can climb the best on”?

Stevo210
    Free Member

mmmm interesting thoughts……here’s the C’dale geometry if anyone wants to poke around and knows what they’re looking at.

mboy
    Free Member

Eh? Next you’ll be telling me you wouldn’t entertain Kylie….

She’s getting on a bit these days fella! 😉

I’d wondered when anyone was going to shout “Pivot” but I guess they are either side of the 120mm criteria

Now there’s a bike that hit every single branch of the ugly tree on its way down! 😕

One wonders then thats there’s a fair bit of personal “feeling” and riding style in this type of thread and is there really a way to prove one is better than the other? Or is the criteria really “the bike you feel you can climb the best on”?

There was a quote above somewhere about the engine on a motorbike being very consistent therefore suspension is easy to design and tune for desired properties on a motorbike, but the engine on a Mountain Bike is exceptionally inconsistent… So I’d say in answer to your question, a resounding “YES”, it’s mostly feeling and perception from one design to another. On single pivot bikes though (and any iteration such as linkage driven shocks), main pivot placement is easily the most important thing.

mmmm interesting thoughts……here’s the C’dale geometry if anyone wants to poke around and knows what they’re looking at.

Steep seat angle helps, main pivot point is pretty good for middle ring or granny ring climbs, though it will noticably bob more in the granny ring. Fairly short chainstays so it will be easier to weight the back wheel and get traction, though the downside to this is it will be less stable on steeper climbs. Overall Cannondale Rushes are good XC bikes though, designed for Tinker Juarez iirc as he wanted longer travel than the 63mm Scalpel for his 24HR Solo racing… Needless to say, he’s won a few races on the Rush too.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Cannondale Rushes are good XC bikes though, designed for Tinker Juarez iirc as he wanted longer travel than the 63mm Scalpel for his 24HR Solo racing… Needless to say, he’s won a few races on the Rush too.

Thanks for your thoughts there. Just researched said Tinker, he had a right mop on him 🙂

Maybe a good look at my suspension setup/pressures may be something to really try and dial in correctly, but don’t want to compromise on the way down.

Maybe a motorbike is the answer!!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve got a Carbon Rush too and it’s a great bike. I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’ve done a bit of racing on it and the weak link is me and most definately not the bike.

By all means, get a new bike if you want one (nowt wrong with that!), but don’t kid yourself that it will make you better on the climbs. If you’re looking to improve your climbing abilities you should maybe re-focus your training regime (you do have one right 😉 ) or take a course that looks at improving your technical climbing ailities. Or if you fancy something shiney, get some nice light wheels and some carbony goodnes. 😀

Stevo210
    Free Member

Its not so much my climbing abilities, I’m very aware of the shock bobbing or active under pedaling. I have the shock firmer than the usual sag to try and compensate a little and its in Pro-pedal most of the time. Maybe lockout is what I should be using. I just dont like having to faff every few minutes with shock levers 🙁

Mine has been lavished over the last two years with more bling than is justifiable to be honest, I think the frame was the last thing to replace haha 🙂

Any pics of your Rush

Stevo210
    Free Member

Its not so much my climbing abilities, I’m very aware of the shock bobbing or active under pedaling. I have the shock firmer than the usual sag to try and compensate a little and its in Pro-pedal most of the time. Maybe lockout is what I should be using. I just dont like having to faff every few minutes with shock levers 🙁

Mine has been lavished over the last two years with more bling than is justifiable to be honest, I think the frame was the last thing to replace haha 🙂

Any pics of your Rush

Stevo210
    Free Member

Its not so much my climbing abilities, (I am a riding genius) I’m very aware of the shock bobbing or active under standing pedaling. I have the shock firmer than the usual sag to try and compensate a little and its in Pro-pedal most of the time. Maybe lockout is what I should be using as its an RPL shock. I just don’t like having to faff every few minutes with shock levers 🙁

Any pics of your Rush

Stevo210
    Free Member

Damn triple posting pap. Third one edited!!

JohnB
    Free Member

“I have the shock firmer than the usual sag to try and compensate a little and its in Pro-pedal most of the time.”

It seems that the a big reason fully suspended bikes bob less is to damper technology. Basically stopping the suspension working!

Interestingly there is no lock out or increased low speed compression damping on a Maverick. The suspension is allowed to work all the time and the damper is simple.

campfreddie
    Free Member

having owned a flux and now a asr5, i would say that the flux is a better climber, but the asr5 is a better all-rounder.

the propedal on the asr5 doesn’t really work due to the low-compression tune on the rp23 shock (according to mojo anyway who i would hope would know a little about it all).

loving the asr now… so glad i changed from the flux

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

loving the asr now… so glad i changed from the flux

bit of a change from a week ago:

don’t get me wrong, the asr5 is an epic steed… i just never really acknowledged how absolutely amazing the turner flux was (aside from skinning my ankle on the fatter-than-fat chainstay)

how have you ‘fixed’ the ASR?

AlexSimon

Do the maestros or DWs suffer from any chain growth?
    The intense 5.5 I demoed years ago was a bugger for it, every time you’d come to a technical rock step climb, it would try and stop you pedalling just at the critical moment.

transapp
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it on the anthem, so I guess the answer is no, it doesn’t.

rickmeister

Function over form, but I think they look great, and I’ve just bought an the other one.

FIFY

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Most Efficient Climbing 120mm Full Suss’ is closed to new replies.