Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Most durable rear shocks 216 x 63
  • mjsmke

Spent most of yesterday reading up about both the Monarch Plus and CCDB inline. Off sick so nothing else to do.

The Monarch is a safe option as I know what the performance will be but will likely wear out after a year or 2 so I’ll be relying o  the warranty there. As for the CC, I’ve read mixxed reviews. Great performance but not reliable. But then I read the newer batch has been updated and might be more reliable.

Ahh I can’t decide!

stevextc
    Free Member

cheap RS spares …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Rear-Shocks/109119/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=cashandcompany_store

I got a complete replacement (excluding can for £100 for the kids bike)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mjsmke

Thats really useful for future reference. I’m not sure where i would stand with any warranty claims though. Plus by the time ive got it tuned correctly it would be nearly as much as a new shock. Though i’m very tempted to get that and just use it as a spare.

Still looking for a new shock for now though, so either the Monarch Plus or CCDB Inline.

stevextc
    Free Member

TBH if your linkage isn’t tight you get wear…. which parts wears is the softest part.

If your bearings need replacing then the linkage loosens etc.

My T-130 has no issues…I’ve seen the shaft when doing a service.  However I did buy another shock because I’m only 70kg and it was a ML3 tune (and t was £100 nearly new).    The kids is still in default tune but its nice to know I have the spare as replacing his tiny 152mm one is like hens teeth.  Ideally I’m thinking that I can swap them over and not be so rushed to get a full service… which is what I’m doing with mine at the moment… and when the next service is done send the other one and get it serviced and ML3 tune done at the same time.

The kids shock I’d planned on just the main part then randomly planet X were selling the aircan for £3…. so I’ve now got a brand new shock – he does have a small scratch but its holding pressure… if it never gets used I can sell it when he outgrows the bike or with the bike.

mjsmke

Which shock do you run? I couldn’t see the wear during an air can service. I had to strip the damper to see the wear inside the shaft. On the outside the shock looks new.

I’ve not got round to checking the frame bearings yet but will do before fitting a new shock. I’d imaging if the quad link bearings have worn there will be a lot of lateral movement.

mjsmke

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Cane Crek shocks? Specifically the inline air shock with climb switch. I knkw they had issues early on but are the new versions more reliable? It’s either that or a Monarch Plus.

slickandslide
    Free Member

All the Cane Creek IL air shocks we have sold have been totally reliable, the countless ones we have upgraded from Inlines to even just the new internals have also been faultless. We could lend you one to try if you were interested?

I would choose one over a RS shock every day of the week.

ehrob

You’ll read a lot of stories about them breaking if you have a look around. Anecdotally it does seem that certain frames have a bit of a reputation for killing them.

My personal experience is better. I had one on my old Banshee for two years, never serviced, never needed it. Great shock. That was the older version of the inline.

FWIW Cane Creek seem to have a reputation for backing up customers when things do go wrong.

I’d have another one if I needed a new shock and the price was right.

mjsmke

Thanks ehrob. I’ll do a bit of measuring today to see if the CC will fit. If not I’ll have to get the Monarch.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’ll be a bit weird if you end this lengthy thread about durable shocks by buying a Monarch.

mjsmke

I ended up going for the CCDB Inline from TF Tuned. Their help and support was excellent! Just installed the shock and it fits my small 2015 T130 perfectly. Not had a chance to ride yet as I need an adapter because my shock pumps screw on bit is too fat. First impression though is the build quality looks great.

I’ve heard the air can can be rotated like the Monarch. Is this true? I’ like to rotate it so the air valve is at the bottom rather than side.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Most durable rear shocks 216 x 63’ is closed to new replies.