Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Most complicated TV or movie plot?
  • RustySpanner

Donnie Darko.

I’ve read the explanation. It’s still nonsense.

martinhutch

Dark on Netflix, nothing can touch that for complicated,

Can’t believe this wasn’t the first answer!

Honourable mention for Avengers Endgame, probably the best ratio of time travel brain hurt and makes no sense paradox to audience size.

thols2

From the Mulholland Drive school of “what the hell was that about” is Synecdoche, New York.

I think that’s the movie that made me give up on watching pretentious artsy nonsense. WTF was the point again?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

John Wick – just couldn’t fathom it out…..

razorrazoo

GoT main issue was running out of source material and then rushing to an ending far too quickly in context with the story as a whole.

thols2

John Wick – just couldn’t fathom it out…..

Try Cold Pursuit. Doesn’t **** around with silly subplots, just straight line to eliminating the bad guys.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Prime Minister’s Question Time. Huge number of odd characters, dialogue that jumps between bestial grunting and strangely archaic formal English, entire plot lines disappear by the following week’s episode. And despite spending millions to improve the set over the last few years it hasn’t really changed. Baffling.

tomtomthepipersson

Dark – as mentioned by a few already. I’m on season 2 and despite paying attention I still have to keep pausing it to have a little think. Excellent so far though.

razorrazoo

Prime Minister’s Question Time. Huge number of odd characters, dialogue that jumps between bestial grunting and strangely archaic formal English, entire plot lines disappear by the following week’s episode. And despite spending millions to improve the set over the last few years it hasn’t really changed. Baffling.

You’re not familiar with reality shows are you?  A load of dimwits thrust together desperately craving 15 mins of fame and a quick buck.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Try Cold Pursuit. Doesn’t **** around with silly subplots, just straight line to eliminating the bad guys.

Cheers. Sounds like my kinda movie! 👍

desperatebicycle

Shutter Island or Inception, one of those DiCaprio films, can’t remember which. Wouldn’t bother watching again to find out.

stcolin
    Free Member

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. Not a clue. But then I am stupid.

dyna-ti

Westworld

Totally clueless until the last few episodes.

I only stuck with it because my sister got me the box set for xmas, and there was sod else on tv.

footflaps

Dark – as mentioned by a few already. I’m on season 2

OK, hasn’t even got complicated yet! Wait for Season 3….

IdleJon

GoT isn’t complicated, it’s just lots of interweaving stories which are simple in themselves.

Donnie Darko.

I’ve read the explanation. It’s still nonsense.

I don’t remember thinking that it was complicated. I do remember thinking that it might have been written by a pretentious 6th former. 😀

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I give you Predestination starring Ethan Hawke. Absolute head mash where he is 4 characters in the film at the same time without knowing it.

I found Tenet irritating beyond belief

nickc

Came here to say Primer. Ridiculously complex and not explained until there’s a lightbulb moment when you realise “oh no wait, they’ve made a time machine! – nothing I’m watching is linear.” And you go back to the start and start to track people with a pencil and paper!

Mad.

johndoh
    Free Member

Westworld is absolutely baffling. its pretty much the only thing ive given up on

Try the similarly-titled adult version then – very entertaining and the storylines are much easier to follow.

matt_outandabout

Lost

fasthaggis

Try Google maps

olddog

Dark – German sci-fi on Netflix. Just layer subtitles over the top and it’s ridiculously difficult to follow.

TBF the plot is deliberately complex – but I’ll not expand as the reasons build up over the series

Edit – I see it’s mentioned above – not just me then

nickc

The difference for me between Dark and Primer, is that Dark explains itself and Primer never does, it leaves everything up to the viewer to try to interpret (or not) Dark by contrast is just convoluted

martinhutch

Inception

Now this made sense to me, or at least as much sense as a film about multi-level dreams within dreams can do.

Tenet just took the piss. The last third of Interstellar could have probably done with a commentary from Neil deGrasse Tyson overlaid.

Caher

Star Wars, what’s all that about.

csb

Latest Doctor Who. WfT? bag’o shite, mumble grumble etc.

Heroes was a cracker too. In a good way.

multi21
    Free Member

IdleJon

I don’t remember thinking that it was complicated. I do remember thinking that it might have been written by a pretentious 6th former. 😀

Assuming you mean the ‘sci-fi’ interpretation (and depending which cut of the film), i’d be surprised if you got it without reading an explanation because a lot isn’t explained well (or at all). For the full ‘sci-fi’ explanation you need to read the book which was on the website to understand the manipulated dead, that he can perform telekinesis, why he had to flood the school etc.

There are a lot of other interpretations though which are easier to follow (it’s his descent into schizophrenia from his own perspective, it’s him reimagining his life in his final second before death etc etc).

edit: i’m not endorsing it as a good film, i wouldn’t say investing the time to understand it is worth it

andrewh
    Free Member

Drive to Survive 2021

footflaps

Shutter Island

Saw a good video on all the clues that the director put in….

cterry
    Free Member

The plot of The Big Sleep (1946) was baffling to its director (Howard Hawks) the screenwriters and the bloke who wrote the novel (Raymond Chandler).

Cougar

Timely.

retrorick

Dark also. Not managed to continue far through the 3rd series yet as the gap between the 2nd and 3rd was so big I’d forgotten the storyline and characters.

Irreversible, the French film is a good back to front film to watch. Only seen it once when it came out at the cinema, could do with a revisit.

multi21
    Free Member

retrorick

Irreversible, the French film is a good harrowing back to front film to watch. Only seen it once when it came out at the cinema, could do with a revisit.

ftfy!

Still occasionally get nightmares about a couple of scenes 10 years later

IHN

Shutter Island

Complicated, amd/or just crap?

thols2

Drive to Survive 2021

I hope so. If we had to put up with that shit in Abu Dhabi and it isn’t portrayed as heinous ****ery most foul, I’ll be cancelling my subscription.

yoshimi

I came here to say Mullholland Drive and not surprised to see it menyioned already

I was left baffled by it – but apparantly, if you pay attention during the opening credits, the rest of the film makes sense

Poopscoop

Dark, without question the most complex plot one ever viewed in film or TV.

I’m actually relieved others think the same.

I was starting to think I could have cognitive ability issues.

vazaha

I’d like to make a late entry for The Singing Detective.

A story within a story, one of the stories is being read by one of the characters in one of the other stories, all of them being unreliably narrated by an author prone to lucid hallucinations, being the story.

With a great soundtrack.

lister

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. Not a clue.

The book is the same. There is a point about 2/3s of the way through where Smiley is clearly on to something but after many rewatches of the film and rereads of the book I can never quite pin it down.
    I think all Le Carre’s books and plots are a bit like that…I enjoy reading them but he makes assumptions about the reader’s comprehension of subtle phrases that the whole thing often hinges on.

I must watch the Alec Guinness Tinker Tailor series sometime…it’s supposed to be the definitive verison…

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Interstellar was kind of confusing.

elsketcho
    Free Member

I’ve just started rewatching Legion with my wife as she never watched it before. The main character is an unreliable narrator and you never really know if what your seeing is real or in his head. I love it my wife has spent the whole time watching it saying “What the **** is going on?’ “You watch some weird s**t”.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Most complicated TV or movie plot?’ is closed to new replies.